Oh I Wish I Was In Dixie!

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Good Morning All...Well apart from watching my beloved Brazil soccer team winning the confederation cup last night,before that I was watching a documentary on two British chefs called " The Hairy Bikers " in their tv series in Mississippi...The food was awesome..But there was a scene where the buildings in the background were a double for the mansion buildings in PORS..And the old Mississippi River flowing past..I think it was this reason that I fell in love with PORS.And after my third visit last year, I honestly can't see me picking another resort..Yes I will visit WL on my next visit. ( we always do a wee tour of other resorts just to be nosey ) But PORS stole it for me.The combination of the rustic Alligator Bayou section..The majestic four mansions..Arcadian House..Magnolia Terrace..Oak Manor..Parterre Place..that make up Magnolia Bend..The big wheel washing into the river at the food court..And that beautiful Sassagoula River flowing all the way down to Downtown Disney..And of course the beautiful landscape grounds...Oh how I wish I was there right now..:( Snap out of it Hatter..Anyway to my question.What made you fall in love with your favourite resort at Disney that a pack of wild horses couldn't pull you away from.:)

zurgandfriend

The first time I walked into the Wilderness Lodge. It was a hot humid Florida day, the cold air as the door opened hit me like a board and I just stood there looking up at the lobby taking it all in. I have loved the Wilderness Lodge ever since. Unfortunately my DW and DS like being on the monorail more, so we alternate between the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary with an occasional stay at the Polynesian. I will admit I do like the restaurants on and the convenience of the monorail so I’m not totally heart broken.

sgtmgd

Not sure what happened above...I apologize

Boardwalk is our favorite for many reasons

Location...Right next to Epcot.minute walk..5 minute walk to DHS or a short boat ride to both. Right across from the Yacht and Beach Club...between the 3 resorts you have several signature resturants including our beloved Yachtsman Steakhouse...and many other food options..

Entertainment..ESPN Sportszone and two adult clubs (dueling Piano Bar is great) Boardwalk Street Performer ...Shops, outdoor vendors..bikes..the theming..the smells...

Rooms...Water view room with balcony...words cannot describe how I feel sitting on thje Boardwalk at sunset and late at night with all the lights..the water of the bay reflecting all the moonlight..or watching the movie they are playing outdoors right on the beach across the way..hearing all the people below enjoying the sights and sounds..its beatiful..peaceful and exudes Disney! The rooms are very comfortable..beads are great..Pool is fun..but an afterthought for us..to quote a song title from a favorite band from the 80's Depeche Mode.."I just cant get enough"

We will be there in a couple months..Sept 11-16 but are trying AKL a 2 beadroom Villa at Kidani Village..it's a first for us..so a new experience..but Ill get a Boardwalk fix when we eat at the Yachtsman..Ressies already made. Ill be interested in our Savannah View and how AKL stacks up!

Pooh Lover

The first time we visited the WL we entered through the front doors into the lobby and I'm sure we both stopped dead in our tracks with our mouths agape. It is THAT beautiful! And the beauty continues throughout the resort with the stream flowing from the lobby to the courtyard, the peaceful feeling of the boat dock, the pool and that wonderful music you hear from the moment you get off the bus and head up the walk into the lodge. The vibe is just perfect after a long day at the parks. And best of all, it calls to my DH to return every year! ;)

gonetowdw

We went to Dixie Landings on our honeymoon and have been back every year since. I LOVE POR too!!! Everything you mentioned is exactly why I love it so much. I love taking the boat to Downtown Disney at dusk. I love waking up in the morning and walking to Riverside Mill to get my coffee. I often sit outside on one of the benches and enjoy my coffee while I wait for the others to get out of bed. I love sitting in the gazebo and just enjoying the moment. Even waiting for the bus to come and just enjoying the beautiful surroundings---I love everything about the place.
When I am having a rough day, my mind goes to walking on the pathways at POR!

bethymouse

Saratoga Springs captured my heart with it's "being at home" feeling, and it's pools ( the boys loved the slides, and actually so did I).:D
Wilderness Lodge is a close 2nd with it's "Welcome Home" feeling as well as the lobby, restaurants, and the geyser, oh and the boat launch to MK.:D
The Polynesian is 3rd only because I feel it needs some serious upgrading ( I believe they've started). It is gorgeous, best restaurant on property 'Ohana IMHO! The slide and the fireworks at night are fabulous on the beach! The Spirit of Aloha Show ( yes- I enjoy it)! The monorail of course and the boat launch. The grounds and the torch lighting ceremony is fabulous! Yes- I love the Polynesian, but am waiting for the refurbishments/rumored DVC, and of course saving the $$$$$$$$$.;)

WLBound

The first time we visited the WL we entered through the front doors into the lobby and I'm sure we both stopped dead in our tracks with our mouths agape. It is THAT beautiful! And the beauty continues throughout the resort with the stream flowing from the lobby to the courtyard, the peaceful feeling of the boat dock, the pool and that wonderful music you hear from the moment you get off the bus and head up the walk into the lodge. The vibe is just perfect after a long day at the parks. And best of all, it calls to my DH to return every year! ;)

My husband and I felt the exact same way. I think we just stopped dead in the entry and said "Wow". It still takes our breath away each time we walk in.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
POFQ is my home away from home! The feel of it being so small in such a gigantic place! The boat to DTD at any time especially at night it is so peaceful! The pool, the staff, the cobblestone, the flower beds, and of course, the food!!! Beignets anyone?
I make the pilgrimage walk from Riverside to get my Beignets..Three of these babies is one snack..;)

WellFedDave

You never forget your firsts. Polynesian and Contemporary split stay on my first visit with my parents. They both have a special place in my heart and just aches of nostalgia and WDW history. Even as we stay at different resorts and purchase DVC at AKL, I still love both of those resorts the most. God forbid they ever do a DVC at the Poly. I may have to get a second job...

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I enjoy my walk up your way as well:) So peaceful by the canal in morning!!
:eek: Whit!!!... Canal...You mean the Sassagoula river..Indian name for Mississippi...This flowing majestic water that runs from PORS all the way down to Downtown Disney..And you call it a Canal..LOL...We have a canal in Glasgow called the Clyde..It's a dirty brown colour that has everything from beer bottles to used diapers floating in it..Yuch! :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom