Oga's Cantina at Disney's Hollywood Studios

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Sped2424

Oga's Cantina has been discussed at length in the main Galaxy's Edge thread, but as we approach opening I thought it appropriate that we have a dedicated thread for the Disney's Hollywood Studios location.

REVIEW - Oga's Cantina in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge at Disney's Hollywood Studios
https://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/oga...galaxys-edge-at-disneys-hollywood-studios.htm
Thank you for mentioning the lack of streetmosphere characters! The more big sites that talk about it the better chance someone at Disney repeatedly sees this common complaint! Hopefully in the future it will be corrected!

AshaNeOmah

Got a ressie for Oga's in Disneyland a few weeks ago. The atmosphere was great, too crowded, capacity waaayyy too low. Only had the non-alcoholic drinks and two of the breakfast items. They weren't bad at all.

We're three new lands into the Harry Potter response era (Avatar, Toy Story, and Galaxy's Edge) without a table service restaurant. It's like the first 10 years of Animal Kingdom all over again. Sad.

baymenxpac

Got a ressie for Oga's in Disneyland a few weeks ago. The atmosphere was great, too crowded, capacity waaayyy too low. Only had the non-alcoholic drinks and two of the breakfast items. They weren't bad at all.

We're three new lands into the Harry Potter response era (Avatar, Toy Story, and Galaxy's Edge) without a table service restaurant. It's like the first 10 years of Animal Kingdom all over again. Sad.

just curious, and feel free not to answer since it's about money, but: what did that bill cost with non-alcoholic drinks and two breakfast items?

aladdin2007

sooooo...not to be a downer here (because i'm a star wars homer, and am super excited about a cantina concept), but...

- low capacity
- overpriced specialty drinks with low alcohol content
- jello
- zero star wars characters (legacy or new) to add to the atmosphere

and i'd go here...why?

couldn't agree more, for the huge level of crowds they have to deal with these days I dont get Disneys thinking. These things get built way too small. Then they water down the project by cutting interactions/details (characters etc) after announcing them. Its really not worth the effort to try to get in there (reservation or otherwise) just to stand at a overpriced bar. Hopefully down the road, someday, it will be freely open to wander in when you please and look around, like it should be really.

AshaNeOmah

just curious, and feel free not to answer since it's about money, but: what did that bill cost with non-alcoholic drinks and two breakfast items?

No problem. We had the cinnamon roll, the yogurt, Blue Milk, the chocolate milk/tea drink, and an apple juice. With tip it was somewhere between $45 and $50, if I remember correctly.

Not something I'm doing again but I wanted to see it once.

Marc Davis Fan

Thanks for this excellent, thoughtful review, Steve!

I went to the DL version of Oga's for the first time two days ago, and I have to say: I enjoyed it much, much more than I expected. It's a prime example of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." Even though it doesn't look like much "on paper," all of the pieces work together beautifully, and create a really special holistic effect.

That said, Steve's review is spot-on about the lack of atmospheric characters. As in the rest of the land, cutting the "streetmosphere" entertainment was a big loss, and it would have made the cantina twice as great.

As stated elsewhere, the lack of streetmosphere REALLY shows for the land as a whole; it's what would have really made the SWGE project stand out, and indeed the land feels as though it was designed with that in mind and now has something clearly missing.

Last edited:

baymenxpac

No problem. We had the cinnamon roll, the yogurt, Blue Milk, the chocolate milk/tea drink, and an apple juice. With tip it was somewhere between $45 and $50, if I remember correctly.

Not something I'm doing again but I wanted to see it once.

wowzers. i'm from new york, so i'm more than familiar with manhattan pricing, and that's still wild to me. i definitely understand wanting to experience it, and -- based on the capacity -- there will a line of people to fork over that kind of money. i don't know why i'm surprised, but i am. seems like the whole thing is kind of a swing and a miss to me.

fngoofy

sooooo...not to be a downer here (because i'm a star wars homer, and am super excited about a cantina concept), but...

- low capacity
- overpriced specialty drinks with low alcohol content
- jello
- zero star wars characters (legacy or new) to add to the atmosphere

and i'd go here...why?

Thank you for doing all the typing.
It looks like the Mos Eisley Greyhound Bus Terminal.
34009752600_7cfbf3cb02_b.jpg

If I want to pay to wait, be told where to stand, and be forced to congregate with strangers, I could just go down to airport and hang out.

I was hoping for more of a scaled up Adventurer's Club in Space. Bigger, characters, able to expand into sections based on the number of guests, etc.
Why they would build something SMALLER than Adventurer's Club and put it in the parks, in a land that when completed will only have two rides is a real head scratcher.

Last edited:

fngoofy

I love the honest review. This kind of reminds me of Trader Sam's with a different theme. It looks fun, but probably something that will be one and done.
At least at Trader Sam's you can get some food and the drinks are high powered. AND if you want to skip the theme elements you can sit outside on the lanai and get the same drinks, food, and relax. You would think they would mimic that concept when choosing not to accommodate the capacity needed. Even then, I've been in plenty of restaurants that have sections that they open and staff based on the nightly demand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom