Official: Why Soarin' is in The Land

Empress Room

Original Poster
There has certainly been much debate on the boards lately (as well as passionate opinions) about whether Soarin' should have been placed in The Land pavilion and whether or not it "fits" as part of The Land's theming.

To that end, I found an interesting quote in my Summer 2005 Vacation Magic (DVC publication) from Senior Creative Executive Kathy Mangum, who lead the imagineer team and explained why Soarin' was placed in The Land:

"We thought the attraction was perfect for Epcot because of its spirit of exploration and discovery, and The Land is a natural fit since the pavilion is about the appreciation of the rich bounty and awesome beauty of the earth."

Not that I want to resurrect somewheat healed sore wounds or this emotional debate, but what does everyone think of Ms. Mangum's reasoning? Does her explanation make sense? Do you agree that Soarin' is truly a "natural fit" in The Land? Does this make the partial "airport retheming" more sensible?

Empress Room

Original Poster
S_Grise said:
I missed previous discussions. Where SHOULD it have gone if not there?

I'm not sure where it SHOULD have gone, but many have opined that it SHOULD NOT have gone into The Land because it doesn't fit with The Land's original theme and design.

MichelleBelle

I think Soarin' is OK in the Land... the airport themeing doesn't really belong. I think Soarin' would have been a better fit without that themeing, but then again I haven't actually been there since the Land re-opened so it's hard to say.

MrToad1

The thing is, now that Soarin is in the Land Pavillion there will be about a trillion more people passing through there and stopping for some food. Good Luck finding a table to anyone who wants to sit down and eat with there family!

righttrack

Soarin' really isn't in the Land, you just enter it from there. I think Epcot has way too much outdoor, lengthy walks already, so this extended, inter-building queue is welcomed on hot days. As for theming, I think the mind can separate the experiences. What Living with the Land states overtly (an appreciate of the land, growing, farming etc) Soarin' states indirectly. In Soarin' we see "the land" in its spendor as well as a celebration of mankind's achievements in technology (a Futureworld theme) in a fun way. In Living with the Land, we see this in detail and get a message back.

LoisMustDie

righttrack said:
Soarin' really isn't in the Land, you just enter it from there.
Uh...actually yes it is. It's directly listed as attractions found IN the Land.

And another thing...the Space Mountain show building is outside the Magic Kingdom berm, does that mean it's not a Magic Kingdom attraction?

righttrack said:
In Soarin' we see "the land" in its spendor as well as a celebration of mankind's achievements in technology (a Futureworld theme) in a fun way. In Living with the Land, we see this in detail and get a message back.
This is just a generic excuse...you can use an argument like this to justify any poorly themed attraction. And that still doesn't explain away the completely out-of-place airport theming.

Laura

Premium Member
LoisMustDie said:
This is just a generic excuse...you can use an argument like this to justify any poorly themed attraction. And that still doesn't explain away the completely out-of-place airport theming.

Actually, I don't think it's a bad argument. Although I've never been on the ride personally, it seems like in the ride you are flying over "the land". I mean, what is it exactly you're looking at on the big screen? Isn't it scenery and land? So how does that not fit the theme of "the Land"? Seems to me it fits perfectly.

If you can ride through the land on a boat why not an airplane (or actually a hang glider)??

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i think that it is perfect there................ the land pavilion........hangliding attraction over scenic landscapes (aka: the land)........... i dont see a problem

it is better than sticking it in a rehabed SSE. LOL

Empress Room

Original Poster
Laura22 said:
Actually, I don't think it's a bad argument. Although I've never been on the ride personally, it seems like in the ride you are flying over "the land". I mean, what is it exactly you're looking at on the big screen? Isn't it scenery and land? So how does that not fit the theme of "the Land"? Seems to me it fits perfectly.

If you can ride through the land on a boat why not an airplane (or actually a hang glider)??

Agreed. Ms. Mangum's comment that Soarin' is a perfect fit for Epcot because it involves "exploration and discovery" and a fit for The Land because its "about the appreciation of the rich bounty and awesome beauty of the earth" does make sense. Those that disagree seem more reliant upon preserving The Land circa 1985 rather than appreciating the new attraction involving the same land theme.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Empress Room said:
Agreed. Ms. Mangum's comment that Soarin' is a perfect fit for Epcot because it involves "exploration and discovery" and a fit for The Land because its "about the appreciation of the rich bounty and awesome beauty of the earth" does make sense. Those that disagree seem more reliant upon preserving The Land circa 1985 rather than appreciating the new attraction involving the same land theme.
agreed as well. good comments.

CTXRover

Soarin' is a perfect fit for the land and I think Kathy Mangum's reasoning is very much justified. Its the best example of an attraction that actually deals with The Land in that area since the pavilion opened. I have no problem with the airport style queue as it helps tie together the attraction's concept of flying and soaring with ultimately experiencing the sights and smells and beauty of the landscape.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
LoisMustDie said:

In your opinion it may be out of place, but from polls here, the majority believe its a great addition, and prefer the new look Land/Soarin than the previous Land.

I think WDI did a great job with integrating a great attraction into an existing pavilion.

SummerInFL

When we went a few weeks ago, we rode Soarin twice. I think they did a good job of seperating the rides that were provided inside The Land and I didn't feel like it was out of place with the others. You do fly over various settings like, the ocean, the snowy mountains etc...so to me it fits with the main concept of it.

I loved the ride, it was a lot of fun and I will continue to ride it. I can't think of anywhere else they should have put that ride IMHO.:)

bsandersjr

Why is the Rock n Rollercoaster in MGM? What does it have to do with movies?

CUZ..... new attractions attract more people to a slower park, and it gives it some excitement.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It does seem a bit of a cop out; there was space for 2 full size and one medium sized pavilion in Futureworld without destroying a perfectly good theatre (with a show that needed rehabbing admittedly)

I can only think that no plot / backstory could be strong enough to justify Soarin` in Futureworld as a `stand alone` attraction - even if the show building was entered from between Land and Imagination. Makes you wonder what is planned for between Seas and Land (the Soarin` position on Project Gemini)... possibly a storm brewing :lol:

(rumour!)

As a side, if I recall there used to be a basement service road along the south side of The Land. Is this now blocked by the new entry/exit corridor or is it bridged?

dizneeboy

marni1971 said:
I can only think that no plot / backstory could be strong enough to justify Soarin` in Futureworld as a `stand alone` attraction - even if the show building was entered from between Land and Imagination. Makes you wonder what is planned for between Seas and Land (the Soarin` position on Project Gemini)... possibly a storm brewing :lol:

(rumour!)
QUOTE]

I still think the land, air and sea linked pavillions would be cool and a nice way to round out that side of the park. Just makes sense.

although Soarin would have made more sense in the air/atmosphere pavillian right next to the land, moving it to the other side leaves hope that something better is coming!

Neptune

I think it fits Well, Since its showing you the land, and Beauty of California. Showing all of the Geographical Features of Cali. So it Fits right in...

figmentfan

This new addition to the Land Pavilion (Soarin') will help to make it one of the best pavilions in Future World. I will ride Soarin' many more times, it is my favorite ride at Epcot now.

I stated this before about the attractions in the Land, and how they help with the subject of the Land:

1. Soarin' helps you "see" the Land.
2. Living With the Land helps you "know" the Land.
3. Circle of Life helps you "help" the Land.
4. The restaurants in the Land, helps you "smell and taste" the Land.

Neptune

1. Soarin' helps you "see" the Land.
2. Living With the Land helps you "know" the Land.
3. Circle of Life helps you "help" the Land.
4. The restaurants in the Land, helps you "smell and taste" the Land.

Ahh good thinking. And Living With The Land Can also help you "Help the Land" as I Have Gotten many Conservation tips on the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom