Official: Why Soarin' is in The Land

jmaxwell007 said:
i think that it is perfect there................ the land pavilion........hangliding attraction over scenic landscapes (aka: the land)........... i dont see a problem

it is better than sticking it in a rehabed SSE. LOL

Good to see they put new stuff in there, so we can be assured the land pavilion will not end up like the wonders of life! :D

ok_st_is#1

It really doesn't fit there. I say remove the lame airport theme, try to sorta make it better, with murals of landscapes from up high.

Question what happened to good queues?

dizneeboy

Obviously "flight" is associated with an airport, but thinking about it a little more....what does hang-gliding have to do with an airport...don't people jump off of high areas and just glide?? :lookaroun

DonaldDoleWhip

I like the location of Soarin'. It seems to fit right in because it is showing you "the land." Honestly, the queue is not what matters in a ride (well, if you get fastpass). The ride is what matters. And although I agree that Soarin's queue doesn't really fit the pavillion or the ride, the ride is probably great. I can't wait to find out on Thursday!

Good thing: now, as soon as Epcot opens, people won't just be heading to the east side of the park (aka Test Track and Mission Space). They'll probably be going to Soarin' first.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
dizneeboy said:
Obviously "flight" is associated with an airport, but thinking about it a little more....what does hang-gliding have to do with an airport...don't people jump off of high areas and just glide?? :lookaroun

Hang gliding is considered a form of aviation. The Soarin in DCA que area is themed around the aviation giants in California history. I am curious to see if they cloaned the que area as well.

LoisMustDie

hakunamatata said:
Hang gliding is considered a form of aviation. The Soarin in DCA que area is themed around the aviation giants in California history. I am curious to see if they cloaned the que area as well.
They haven't...the Epcot version is themed to being an airport, with a reception desk, etc. The two queue areas don't really have anything in common, except perhaps in a common load area design.

wdwjmp239

righttrack said:
Soarin' really isn't in the Land, you just enter it from there. I think Epcot has way too much outdoor, lengthy walks already, so this extended, inter-building queue is welcomed on hot days. As for theming, I think the mind can separate the experiences. What Living with the Land states overtly (an appreciate of the land, growing, farming etc) Soarin' states indirectly. In Soarin' we see "the land" in its spendor as well as a celebration of mankind's achievements in technology (a Futureworld theme) in a fun way. In Living with the Land, we see this in detail and get a message back.

Soarin', we thought, was a fabulous ride! My g/f and I headed to "The Land" and noticed the huge increase with the number of people inside "The Land" pavilion. Yes, there is major congestion inside, but you eventually make your way inside downstairs to the Soarin' queue area. We didn't get the fast pass as we wanted to see what the wait was like (according to the Stand-By Entrance - the wait was 95 mins at 11am on Saturday 5-21-05). We felt like the wait was a little shorter than 95 mins. The queue area was airport-themed, but as you got to that last hallway before you get to the actual concourses, the blue colored interior did get to us after awhile.

I think to really accentuate the experience (even though, we did like the smell of the pine trees and orange groves), there's a part where you're "Soarin'" over a desert and a mountain top. For the desert part, the temperature inside should've gotten a little warmer and for the moutain part, the temperature should've dropped.

Still, Soarin' is a classic. My favorite part was the take-off, one second your feet are on the floor, the next...you're in the air. :)

imagineer boy

bsandersjr said:
Why is the Rock n Rollercoaster in MGM? What does it have to do with movies?

CUZ..... new attractions attract more people to a slower park, and it gives it some excitement.

Acutally no. MGM just isn't about making movies, but the spirit of Hollywood as well. Technically in Rockin Roller Coaster, you're making a high speed trip through hollywood to get to the concert.

I think Soarin is a great addition to the land, but the air port theme is WAY out of place. I think instead of gliders, they should've had balloon baskets that you would ride in.

TinkerBell9988

figmentfan said:
1. Soarin' helps you "see" the Land.
2. Living With the Land helps you "know" the Land.
3. Circle of Life helps you "help" the Land.
4. The restaurants in the Land, helps you "smell and taste" the Land.

Good thinking!! Positive rep points for you..... haha :animwink:

Surprisingly enough, I do feel this same way about it as well (being the Disney conservative that I am, anyhow :lol: ) On the other hand, however, I do not believe that an airport theme was needed in the Land. Maybe something else could have been done to keep with the 'country' feel to the pavillion, but definetely do NOT turn the place into Fort Lauderdale Intl Airport. Funny thing is, the Land does greatly resemble that airport now... ;)

S_Grise

Personally, I loved the ride when we visited DCA so much, I don't care WHERE they put it, I'm just glad it's here! I can't imagine a better place to put it anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom