Official WDW Facebook page opens the floodgates to MyMagic+ comments

hpyhnt 1000

I'll be honest as far as MM+ when I used it...yeah there were some issues...but I didn't think it was that much different. It sucks with big groups, but they will get it figured out...I would put more money on it becoming an industry standard than a failed project.

Which begs the question what has this $1.5-2 billion investment bought?

Once it was known just how much time and money was sunk (and is still being sunk) into the MM+/FP+ system it became clear this was a program that was "too big to fail." But if the FP system and the overall vacation experience is not really that much different from before (i.e. its not noticeably improved) then what was the point? We know that for some people (APs, frontline Cast Members, frequent visitors, offsite guests) its potentially made WDW more complicated/frustrating. But if the best that can be said is that its not that big of a change from before, then I fail to see what the past few years has accomplished other than burning a big hole in the company's pockets...

***Note: this isn't directed at you, @Sassagoula-Rvr; just thinking about all this in the abstract.***

Last edited:

bferrara16

Apparently what they're trying to do is make their product seem "more precious" by making it harder to obtain (less fastpasses = each ride experience being more precious and valuable), and pricing it higher to seem more elite or worthy of aspiration to get. Part of all that Blue Ocean strategy stuff.
This sounds like the theory behind Cartmanland on South Park - "There's so much to do at Cartmanland, but you can't come"

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/152804/cartmanland-commercial

willtravel

Well that's the thing also, if they position themselves as a luxury brand, luxury brands tend to do better in economic downturns (the wealthy or upper middle class aren't as affected).
I think that is a slippery slope to rely on. From what you are saying it is the wealthy or upper middle class that makes the Disney globe turn. Slippery slope. If I remember correctly, WDW wanted me after 9/11 and after the stock market crashed again, in what was it 08/09? From the amount of email pin #'s and mail I received, they wanted this uhhh lower middle class person to come visit at those times.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Seems the new MME software launched?

BgNrmUmCYAAsZ5k.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Well that's the thing also, if they position themselves as a luxury brand, luxury brands tend to do better in economic downturns (the wealthy or upper middle class aren't as affected).

And yet they court the middle class hard during tough times. As the economy is recovering yes Disney is playing up MME with the hopes of draining the wallets of the wealthy and upper middle class, I'm not certain MME has brought the additional income Disney hoped for out of any class of guest.

It isn't like Disney Warbucks is just turning kids loose with a credit card loaded magic band and telling his kids go buy whatever you want spawns.

FerretAfros

I saw a commercial on ABC last night that was advertising the MM+ *testing* as a reason to stay at a WDW hotel. It was a surprisingly well-done bit with Lumiere singing, but it seemed strange that their big selling point is that you can essentially be part of the beta test. Yes, they've been doing that for a long time now, but this was the first time I've seen them officially frame it as such

WDWFan_Boston

Once it was known just how much time and money was sunk (and is still being sunk) into the MM+/FP+ system it became clear this was a program that was "too big to fail." But if the FP system and the overall vacation experience is not really that much different from before (i.e. its not noticeably improved) then what was the point? We know that for some people (APs, frontline Cast Members, frequent visitors, offsite guests) its potentially made WDW more complicated/frustrating. But if the best that can be said is that its not that big of a change from before, then I fail to see what the past few years has accomplished other than burning a big hole in the company's pockets...

The term "too big to fail" is a ludicrous one. Only the government really puts that term into practice. Don't you think that if MM+ was so awful that EVERYONE hated it and that attendance flat lined, it would be ripped out?

For instance, Microsoft just wrote off $1 billion on their failed 1.0 Surface tablets, although the actual number was pegged to be much more. Shouldn't that been too big to fail?

Not trying to nitpick H1000, just pointing out something that I've been thinking about. If Disney started to lose more than they put into MM+ (whatever that number is, we really are just guessing), it would be gone and heads would roll.

RSoxNo1

Enhancements are positive, it looks a little better, but still very glitchy. The Wish List doesn't load correctly if you make changes to it, and notifications don't clear. Both can be fixed by signing out and signing back in again.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I saw a commercial on ABC last night that was advertising the MM+ *testing* as a reason to stay at a WDW hotel. It was a surprisingly well-done bit with Lumiere singing, but it seemed strange that their big selling point is that you can essentially be part of the beta test. Yes, they've been doing that for a long time now, but this was the first time I've seen them officially frame it as such

Absolutely! Basically, WDW is saying "come pay us so you can give us free data that will help us develop a system that is designed to get you to give us even more money."

Admiral01

Premium Member

***Note: this isn't directed at you, @Sassagoula-Rvr; just thinking about all this in the abstract.***

Exactly. If they spend $1.5-2B to maintain the status quo, what was the point?

Actually, I think we would have been happy with maintaining the status quo. On most points, MM+ has made everything more complicated... Investments like this shouldn't hurt your product, but that is exactly what I view MM+ as having done. It has hurt the WDW product, and the Disney Parks brand, in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom