Official Photography Contest 7.8.05 - 7.14.05: Fireworks

cjb-nc

My entry:
p040126-220842_sml.jpg

andromedaslove

PhotoDave219 said:
Tripod. Shutter release. Use Bulb (for a few bursts) ... focus on infinity. ISO 100 (or as low as possible) at f/11 or higher....

I have been doing alot of reading about night time and fireworks photography today, and I think I figured it out. I think when I press the button to shoot it is making the camera vibrate. That and my film is usually a 400 so I will try the lower speed film next time. Thanks again.

Dana

cjb-nc

andromedaslove said:
I have been doing alot of reading about night time and fireworks photography today, and I think I figured it out. I think when I press the button to shoot it is making the camera vibrate. That and my film is usually a 400 so I will try the lower speed film next time. Thanks again.

Lower speed film will give you less grain noise, and longer shutter times for a given aperture setting. Thus, you need to account even more for the vibration with a tripod and hands-free release. My shot above was taken at 0.6sec shutter with no tripod, braced only by holding the camera against one of the fence bars around the lagoon. There is a bit of noticable wobble as a result, but I thought it was small enough not to ruin the shot.

I have used the timer option on my camera in lieu of a shutter release cable in the past. Set the timer, let go of the camera, and a rock-steady shot goes off a few seconds later. Very hard to time things like fireworks that way, but with a digital camera you can just take lots of shots and hope for a lucky one I suppose. If your camera has an electronic remote for the shutter, thats even better.

WDWRLD

Thats great blackerbys17 and Bamboo 7. Its funny how close you can come to meeting but never know it. I saw the fireworks from there at the beach at the poly on the 3rd and from the hub on the 4th and think that they were much better from the Poly. If they only had the music it would have been perfect.

blackerbys17

Yeah, I agree, they really should pipe in the music from the fireworks, as a matter of fact, I thought they did at the poly but I never heard them. Oh well, the show was still awesome, especially the water parade part when they brought in the big flags on the barges, so pretty! There's just no place like Disney for the 4th of July, I feel incredibly lucky to have been able to be there to see it all, even though MK was VERY crowded and EXTREMELY hot that day.

Laura

Premium Member
I swear one of these days I'm going to Disney by myself just to take pictures. I can't even think about "setting up" a shot while we're there with an impatient husband and 2 impatient toddlers. They get annoyed when I pull out the camera for half a second to snap a quick shot. I rarely get any decent vacation photos because of that. UGH!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom