Odds of a Space Mountain Refurbishment in 2021

HMF

Original Poster
Has anyone heard if Space Mountain will get a major DL-Style refurb once Tron opens? I have heard it is picking up steam.

Bocabear

I say retheme it to "Buzz Mountain: Buzz's exciting mission through space!"

I'm sure people will be fine with it just like they were fine with The Great Movie ride being axed by Mickey himself.
Worst Idea Ever! Space Mountain is just fine if they would refurbish and replace the show scenes with something new and fresh...A Toy Story overlay would be tragic...especially with a Buzz Lightyear attraction next door. Space Mountain needs no IP......That would be like adding a Bo Peep overlay onto The Matterhorn...lol
Yuck.

Disneyson

This is starting to sound like Expedition Everest all over again. So many people thought that once Avatar was open they would certainly take Everest down to fix the Yeti.

The difference being, it is still a little hard to achieve 7.whatever attractions in Animal Kingdom, if you’re not into shows or for some reason can’t find the animal paths. It’s not hard to do in MK, and the absence would be less conspicuous.

SirLink

I say retheme it to "Buzz Mountain: Buzz's exciting mission through space!"

I'm sure people will be fine with it just like they were fine with The Great Movie ride being axed by Mickey himself.

TBH they nearly tried to do that at Disneyland version but to Stitch - but on to OP park to really do what they need to do it'll take 18 months. Maybe if they started now they could have it opened by October 2021. But that won't happen

Cmdr_Crimson

Worst Idea Ever! Space Mountain is just fine if they would refurbish and replace the show scenes with something new and fresh...A Toy Story overlay would be tragic...especially with a Buzz Lightyear attraction next door. Space Mountain needs no IP......That would be like adding a Bo Peep overlay onto The Matterhorn...lol
Yuck.
About as bad as Stitch Mountain that was planned for DL and if it was good it would have happened to MK's..
tumblr_mrfu50F0vA1sp8qqio3_1280.jpg

Gringrinngghost

UNIVERSAL: "Contractually obliged to replace track on Hulk and keep everything in Marvel Land in 100% tip-top shape to keep theme park rights"

DISNEY: "Lol, suckers."
Hulk was a case of where they paid for a second one and the first one became such a nightmare to maintain that they needed a total redo.

UpAllNight

The cost of a coaster for a company of Disney’s wealth is peanuts. It’s astonishing we’ve got to this stage but they’re scared to take rides down due to under capacity of 15 years stagnation until around 2015.

Thing is, if they take it down for 2021, it’s down for the 50th Anniversary. They’ll also see no net capacity benefit of Tron. I feel like they should have just bit the bullet and taken it down during 2020, with Star Wars, Mickey, Ratatouile opening elsewhere.

UpAllNight

I just think it’s something we all have to deal with. Last time I went to Florida Kraken was down at Seaworld, but Manta and Mako filled the gap. I went to Disneyland and missed out on Matterhorn and at Knotts, Ghostrider was shut. Someone broke World of Colour at DCA. This year, Thunder Mountains down. It won’t make or break my trip as there’s so much else to do. We all need to accept that sometimes rides are closed.

Disney could help by sorting their capacity issues out though. If a park’s got 8 rides, shutting a major one has more of an impact than if the park has 15 rides.

Last edited:

Josh Hendy

I'd imagine that the track will have to be replaced eventually due to safety concerns.
Unfortunately a track can apparently go on for decades being an uncomfortable back-breaker and still pass safety ... old Gwazi at BG Tampa comes to mind.

I don't mind Space Mountain personally ... there are lots of other things they could fix, upgrade and replace that would make me happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom