Number 1 resort

WorldExplorer

Beach Club.

The Epcot resorts are the best by default; you not only get super easy access to Epcot plus regularly easy access to Hollywood Studios, but an easily walkable, gorgeous resort complex. If you want, say, more food options, getting to the other resorts is much easier than it is for the Magic Kingdom ones. They all fit together in theme and are beautiful just to walk around in a circle.

Beach Club and Boardwalk are tough competition, but Beach Club has Stormalong Bay, the only pool so awesome that Disney actually checks to make sure you're staying there before you go in.

(Yacht Club and Beach Club are the same building and share their pool. I prefer Beach Club's brighter design, but that's a taste preference. Yacht uses darker colors.)

Imhere

I have stayed at most deluxes.

I have never stayed at a resort I was disappointed with.

For a ONE TIME, trip though, I'd always recommend one of the classics.

Though I'll probably never stay at the Poly again, I would recommend it in your case.

The location, grounds, access to the most iconic Disney transportation, it's an Original.

For the Deluxes, right now, Wilderness Lodge is probably our favorite, we've stayed there 6 times. AKL is also a one of a kind, always get the Savannah view.

If I had to choose between Yacht & Beach, I'd always choose Yacht because all the rooms have balconies.

Contemporary is very nice too due to location, Monorail AND room size.

Skibum1970

Budget comes into play. If a one-time only, I would stay at the Wilderness Lodge due to the theming and beauty of the entire resort. My pick for being more budget conscious would be Port Orleans Riverside.

CaptainAmerica

My recommendations, in order.
  • Iconic, best for one-in-a-lifetime trip
    • Polynesian
  • Theming that's just as good as (if not better than) Poly for half the price
    • Animal Kingdom Lodge
    • Wilderness Lodge
  • Extremely convenient for Epcot-heavy adults, but less so for families with young kids
    • Yacht Club
    • Beach Club
    • Boardwalk
  • Nice, but "mature" (aka boring) theming
    • Grand Floridian
    • Contemporary
    • Old Key West
    • Saratoga Springs
    • Riviera
  • Moderate that gets bonus points for being the Skyliner hub
    • Caribbean Beach
  • Easy-to-navigate small Moderate
    • Port Orleans French Quarter
  • Huge, sprawling Moderates
    • Port Orleans Riverside
    • Coronado Springs
  • Values
    • Art of Animation standard room
    • Pop Century
    • Art of Animation Family Suite (no longer worth the price... just get two rooms)
    • All Star Sports/Movies/Music (I wouldn't stay here, I'd rather go off property)

MickeyLuv'r

Thanks everyone! I think I am leaning towards yacht club or beach club! They pool is amazing and I like the proximity to Epcot!
Those are both great options, and the pool is very unique. The proximity to Epcot and HS is great. If you have park hoppers, you'll have the option of going to Epcot for dinner. If you time it right, you may get post-dinner fireworks.

Hockey89

• Extremely convenient for Epcot-heavy adults, but less so for families with young kids
    • Yacht Club
    • Beach Club
    • Boardwalk
Couldn't disagree more with "less so with young kids"

Two easy stroller rides to two parks so no minnie vans or buses.... Plenty of dinner options within walking distance..

Our next trip we will have 6 of our 7 dinners within walking distance.

Lilofan

Hi,
I am planning a trip and am waiting to stay on property. This will probably be the only time we stay on property so my question is;

Which resort would you pick if it would be your only time ever staying on property?

Thanks!
Four Seasons WDW. It makes the Grand, Poly , Contemporary to be like a Sheraton or Hilton. Prior to Chapek getting fired, the company shareholders he met with stayed at the best resort on property - Four Seasons.

CaptainAmerica

Couldn't disagree more with "less so with young kids"

Two easy stroller rides to two parks so no minnie vans or buses.... Plenty of dinner options within walking distance..

Our next trip we will have 6 of our 7 dinners within walking distance.
The walk to Hollywood Studios is 1,000% overrated. Who wants to walk an extra two miles when it's 100 degrees outside and quite possibly raining?

Also, being walking distance to dinner from your resort is only helpful if you're AT your resort at dinner time. If I'm at Magic Kingdom, why would I care that I can walk to Rose & Crown from Yacht Club?

I think the vast majority of people are eating dinner in whatever park they happen to be in that day.

Weather_Lady

All other things being equal, I'd suggest the Yacht Club. If you're going to stay on property just once, let it be at a resort that puts you at walking distance to two different parks. (Beach Club is a close second: I give Yacht Club the edge simply because it's more relaxing, but still has access to Stormalong Bay. If you want a more upbeat and colorful experience, then Beach Club would be the way to go.) You also may want to pick a top 2 or 3, in case a special offer comes up that is limited to just some resorts and dates. (Case in point: when we last visited, and weren't picky about whether we stayed at Yacht Club or Beach Club for the first 3 nights of a 6-night split stay, Disney released a Disney VISA cardholder offer that only applied to Yacht Club, which is what nudged us in that direction.)

If Yacht Club is too pricy, I'd consider Wilderness Lodge, then Caribbean Beach, then Art of Animation.

*A word on the DVC rentals others mentioned above: my family has done this several times, through David's Vacation Rentals and in one case through a well-vetted individual member. For studio villas and 2-bedroom villas, we've saved anywhere from 20% (Polynesian) to 35% (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge) to 50% (Grand Floridian, Beach Club) off of the rack rate for the same room for our dates. We never considered renting points for a 1-bedroom villa because the point values for those are so out of whack that you really don't save money on those. The downsides to renting DVC points, as others mentioned above, are that you have little or no ability to cancel for a refund if your plans change, and you can't take advantage of any other special offers for your dates, such as a room discount or "free" dining. Still, in the right circumstances, it can be a terrific option.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

The walk to Hollywood Studios is 1,000% overrated. Who wants to walk an extra two miles when it's 100 degrees outside and quite possibly raining?

Also, being walking distance to dinner from your resort is only helpful if you're AT your resort at dinner time. If I'm at Magic Kingdom, why would I care that I can walk to Rose & Crown from Yacht Club?

I think the vast majority of people are eating dinner in whatever park they happen to be in that day.
You make a good point. One's walking/touring habits, comfort with the Skyliner, and/or patience for the pace of the Friendship boats, are all worthy considerations if one is staying at a Crescent Lake resort.

My family loves being in walking distance, and has enjoyed walking to EPCOT and HS from the BC, YC, and/or Dolphin -- even at the end of August -- every time we've stayed at those resorts. We also tend to take a lengthy nap/swim break back at our hotel every afternoon, setting out for the parks again just before dinnertime, often headed to an ADR. In recommending the Crescent Lake resorts (which I do), I shouldn't assume that others follow a similar schedule, and/or will appreciate the opportunity to take a brisk outdoor hike in the Florida heat. The OP will have to weigh that for themselves.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I just want to add that some of the deals Disney is offering (specifically villas) are actually pretty good. I priced renting points for the same dates we have in August and was surprised that DV. rental store was a bit more for some resorts (BRV comes to mind). Definitely price things out for where you want to stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom