November or December

todpatcam

We are planning our third annual trip to Walt Disney World (we’ve fallen in love with WDW) for either Nov or Dec this year. We have to start our trip on a Wednesday and the trip is planned for 6-7 days. The dates are either; Nov 17-22 or Dec 1-6, 2010.

We are concerned with the Nov dates being so close to Thanksgiving and are concerned with the Dec dates being during Pop Warner. We are looking for the lowest crowds possible and we know we can’t avoid all special events but would anyone have any experience with either of these timeframes as to which would be better for the lowest crowds at the parks? Our plan is to stay at either CBR or POFQ.

Also, can anyone tell us when most folks start showing up for the Thanksgiving holiday? Thanks.

wendysmom

I was down with a friend last November, and then with my family the week of Christmas. My friend was really disappointed that the World Showcase hadn't been decorated for Christmas...but we went to MVMCP, and the Osbourne Lights were on at the Studios. (I automatically typed "MGM", which it will always be in our family!) Personally, I'd wait to see ALL the decorations! But then, just being there with DH, DD and her DH at Christmas was fantastic!

Upvote 0

Disney05

We're shooting for 11/30-12/6 this year. I was also concerned about the Pop Warner kids. Gotta let Disney know your concerned. But we'll be staying at WL so hopefully we won't see them too much.

Upvote 0

todpatcam

Original Poster
We've not yet received many responses as to one of our dates being better than the other so we're still trying to decide. We're so anxious to go we may end up with the Nov dates. We have decided to stay at either POFQ or CBR and what I've read on other post; the POP families overflow from the values to 1 or 2 of the moderates so we could end up being at a moderate with tons of unruly, unsupervised football players and cheerleaders - not our idea of a fun vacation.

I've read several posts on other forums regarding the Pop Warner kids and families and yes they deserve to come to Disney just like anyone else but once they start to bother other guests that’s when I would have an issue with it. I love to see kids having fun but when they stop showing respect for others - it’s sad and disappointing - for the kids, their parents, and the organization they represent.

All we can do is pick a date and hope for the best.

Upvote 0

spear

I have been to Disney 5 years now the first week in December and you will not be disappointed. Actually we will be there the same time this year. We usually stay at Wilderness Lodge, but this year we are staying at POFQ.

Upvote 0

ILDisneyFan

Honestly, no matter when you go it is going to be crowded. I don't think Disney ever has a lull time anymore. We went 11/26-12/6 of 2009 and it was very busy pretty much the whole time. MVMCP is supposed to be "limited" but I think they "limit" it to how many ever tickets they can sell. Either that or we just choose the absolute wrong days for everything.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

I was there the first week in Dec in 2008 and my trip co-insided with Pop Warner. Stayed at CSR and had no problems, Rarely saw them at the park b/c they have games and competitions all day long. If I were you I would go with the first week in Dec. I too was considering the week of Thanksgiving, but hear that crowds are heavier then in Dec. So we opted to go the 3rd thru the 11th.

Upvote 0

dave1105

We have been in Nov a few days earlier than you are planning and this past year we were there in Dec the week you looking into.

In November the crowds weren't too bad, the world wasn't fully decked out for Christmas yet.

In December during Pop Warner we saw the kids a few times later in the week but the ones we encountered had plenty of chaparones and they were being kept on a tight leash. Pretty well behaved considering kids that age in a large group. The crowds I didn't think were that bad for the most part, but the best part was the World was fully decked out for Christmas.

For the Dec trip we also stayed the WL so we didn't encounter Pop Warner there, so that may have helped our experience.

Upvote 0

spacebaby

I always visit in December and apart from the usual Brazilian crowds chanting their way around the parks wearing neon bright clothing (which I think you get most of the year from what I've read), I've never had a problem with crowds, I think the longest I queued in December 2008 was 20 minutes - needless to say, take advantage of the fast passes and target rides in the morning and shows in the afternoon.. If you are travelling during the 1st week of December you should also be able to catch the Xmas Day parade shooting as well.

Upvote 0

pacochran

We love December because of the decorations. There is the Pop Warner issue, but we've often overlapped with Pop Warner and only has it bothered us sometimes and not to a great extent. I also think that they will be arriving usually the first full weekend in December which is the 4th, so they probably will be down there at the end of your vacation.

We are heading down the 3rd thru the 12th:sohappy: can't wait.

Upvote 0

harryk

Beginning of December is a great time. Have always gone one of the first two weeks (except in Dec 2009 - went from 23-30th --NEVER AGAIN). Crowds are not excessive and have been able to go on or anywhere with absolutely no problems. Decorations are up and MVMCP is running. - Go for it.

VWL 7-14 Dec 10 :xmas::xmas: 299 days to go

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

We love December because of the decorations. There is the Pop Warner issue, but we've often overlapped with Pop Warner and only has it bothered us sometimes and not to a great extent. I also think that they will be arriving usually the first full weekend in December which is the 4th, so they probably will be down there at the end of your vacation.

We are heading down the 3rd thru the 12th:sohappy: can't wait.

We'll be there the same time!!! Woo Hoo!!! :wave: Where ya'll staying at?

Upvote 0

stmize

We are going from Nov 19th to the 27th and we have gone that time before. and it was great. The parks are decorated for Christmas. The time you suggested for Dec is about the time they film the Christmas Day parade and is very crowded.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

We're still deciding; CBR or POFQ we just can't decide. We're hoping for a good offer to come along for that timeframe.

Same here! We are booked at Pop Century as of now and are hoping that I great deal comes out so we can upgrade to either POFQ, CSR or WL. Fingers are crossed for the both of us!

Upvote 0

todpatcam

Original Poster
Follow-up and Thank you

We wanted to say thanks for all the great advice. We received an email offer today so we jumped on it; Dec 1-7 at CBR now the waiting begins. Thanks again!!!

Upvote 0

luvlifeinfl

We are planning our third annual trip to Walt Disney World (we’ve fallen in love with WDW) for either Nov or Dec this year. We have to start our trip on a Wednesday and the trip is planned for 6-7 days. The dates are either; Nov 17-22 or Dec 1-6, 2010.

We are concerned with the Nov dates being so close to Thanksgiving and are concerned with the Dec dates being during Pop Warner. We are looking for the lowest crowds possible and we know we can’t avoid all special events but would anyone have any experience with either of these timeframes as to which would be better for the lowest crowds at the parks? Our plan is to stay at either CBR or POFQ.

Also, can anyone tell us when most folks start showing up for the Thanksgiving holiday? Thanks.

I see at the end of this thread you have decided you dates. I want to tell you though that we went to WDW Nov. 2009 We arrived the Sat. prior to thanksgiving hoping the crowds to still be light & thinking that most would arrive Tuersday or Wed, since most childern would still be in school & colleges really do not break during that time since is test time ( have 1 in college). well that really was not the case. I think with all the offers out there Disney has just become the ultimate vacation place. The other thign that really put a damper on our trip was the fact it was cooler than normal and one day it just downpoured all day, so to go to FL during this time and days it barely make it into the 50's was just disappointing for us.

In all I think your date selection is a good choice since really u are between holiday.

Good luck, have fun & hope to get to hear a trip report.

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

We have been there both times of year. Have not found Pop Warner to be a bit issue in the parks but we usually stay AKL for that trip. One thing you should check if you are concerned about where the kids are staying is the official Pop Warner website because it will tell you where the hotel spillover is, whether it is Riverside, where it has been in the past, or another mod like Coronado. This year there was talk of the spillover being at Coronado but I don't know which resort it actually turned out to be.

The taping of the Christmas parade for ABC for Christmas morning from the Magic Kingdom has historically been the first weekend in December, and that can get more crowds into the resorts because all the marching bands, performers and their families are there at that time.

Upvote 0

majorrfb

Ditto

I have been to Disney 5 years now the first week in December and you will not be disappointed. Actually we will be there the same time this year. We usually stay at Wilderness Lodge, but this year we are staying at POFQ.

We have traveled on the same dates to the World. We love the first week of
December. But the week before Thanksgiving is also a great time to attend. Both time frames allows for light to moderate crowds, good weather, and minimal waiting times. Have a blast. :xmas:

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

We wanted to say thanks for all the great advice. We received an email offer today so we jumped on it; Dec 1-7 at CBR now the waiting begins. Thanks again!!!

Woo Hoo!!! We will be there 12/3 to 12/11 at POP!!! :sohappy: :sohappy:

So lucky... What discount offer did you get for those travel dates???

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom