Notes from the World, Jan 1-7, 2007

Bratstarman

Original Poster
Let me begin by saying that I have been going to Disneyworld for 25 years and am a DVC member. I've been there the first week of January for the last 4 years. Please don't take this post as flame bait.

Thumbs up: New Years Eve at Epcot - phenomenal! DAK - has never looked or felt better! IASW looked and felt superb - never been better. Nemo was fresh and refreshing. The Green line for Mission Sapce let me experience it for the first time. The Land is beautiful. Pirates looks surprisingly fresh - bravo. And the jokes on Jungle Cruise were excellent.

Surprises: The crowds never thinned as the week wore on. Usually by January 2 we would have the run of the parks. The mouse appears to be trying to attract visitors from South America for this time of the year, and I would guess that half the visitors were from south of the equator.

Areas of concern: The years of neglect are showing up elsewhere. Wonders of Life looks like an 80's shopping mall. HM is really beat up. And the Studios are simply a mess.

The sound system in World Showcase, once phenomenal, now inadequate.

There appears to be a real trend to downsize staffing. Cast members seemed to be fewer, with less emphasis on crowd control. At Illuminations, areas that were taped off and monitored before were ignored - people gathered on steps and in walkways. In the parking lot afterwards I saw ONE CM directing traffic. It took almost 2 hours to get out of the EPCOT lot! A teense of traffic management would have gone a long way.

The quality of cast members has noticably declined. The retirees who used to work so many places are probably now handing out shopping carts at Walmart. I see a huge service staff issue developing for Disney - some first hand experiences:

At the Coronado Springs food court, two workers got into a spat next to my table. A stack of dirty dishes came crashing to the floor and one CM starting cussing at the other. A manager appeared and finally YELLED at them. So much for "good show". Frankly, I think the concept of good show is dead.

At PO Riverside, the servers remined me of a HS cafeteria. They were moving slow, slopping food on the plates (missing in some cases), and generally rude and disinterested.

The sweepers looked scary in some cases - not sure where they came from.

Rode in the front of the Monorail once, and the driver acted as if we were a burden (we sat silently).

Bought an ice cream in Fantasyland - the counter guy overran the cone and had the stuff dripping on his hand. He scooped it onto the top of the cone and handed it to me. YUCK!!!

Saw many instances of harried managers trying to get cast members to work, disciplining them in the open.

Saw a group of "suits" at Test Track. They acted as if guests were a nusiance, and acted more like prison guards than hosts.

I see trouble on the horizon - who of any caliber will be willing to work for Disney wages in the future? The good ones are worked to the bone by backfilling with folks who aren't up to the job.

Finally, I'm really disappointed in the Christmas soundtrack. And this year you could not escape it! It was at Winter Summerland, and the Studios, and MK, and all over EPCOT (entrance area, future world and world showcase). The hallmark of Disney used to be the wounderful musical experience. If I ever hear Jingle Bell Rock played by 101 Strings again, I will scream!! Finally, whene we got to Animal Kingdom we thought we had escaped - until we heard the same music on steel drums.

Where is the sense of wonder and imagination? I'd call this "The Year of a Million Nightmares".

Uponastar

Rode in the front of the Monorail once, and the driver acted as if we were a burden (we sat silently).

If there are no families with children asking to ride the front of the Monorail, DH and I will ask to do it from time to time. I'd would say that at on at least half of those rides our driver acted like he/she wished we weren't there. It made for a very uncomfortable ride. I would think that driving the monorail would be one of the least objectionable jobs at WDW. I hope the drivers are more friendly when children are up there!

H20Babie

We had a great time in the front of the monorail. Our driver gave us all "monorail pilot licences" and even let us take a picture of my DS with him. He answered all of my son's questions. Overall, it was a great experience, and hopefully, on our next trip, it will be the same.

mikeanabean

There not. We were @ poly taking my Son to the Magic Kingdom for the first time and I thought that would be great if he could get to ride up there to make it more special. Well when I walked up to the drivers (which were talking about feminine problems) I asked them for the ride and she sighed and said "I guess" and the ride was the most uncomfortable experience ever. This was 12/12/06 in the morning.

P-3 FE

CM problems

I can relate to the issues and maybe provide a little insight as to why there are more and more issues each time and as the years progress.
I too was a CM in the mid to late 90's. Back then, we had a pretty good team of folks (worked in the MK-outdoor foods) and we were all really in to providing and "Remembering the Magic". The only downfall was that the pay was very low and I am sure has not really moved up.
Folks today-especially younger workers are faced and offered various positions in the minimum wage area and of course in Orlando, they have 2 other theme parks to work for. So competition for these folks is fast and furious. Take that into consideration and add in that the 18-20 y/o folks that are in the work force are really from a different generation.
I think there are possible solutions that can help. The first area would be to increase the wages for CM and at the same time raise the standard for who they hire.
I also believe that we as the guests can maybe help the current CM by being as friendly as possible and saying thanks as much as we can. Believe me, when I was there, a thanks from a guest went a long way in helping me continue to stand in the 96 degree weather for 6-8 hours!!!!
Anyway, create your own magic daily!!!:wave:

toadh63

You're 100 percent correct - CMs definitely aren't what they used to be.
Lots of HR challenges here in Central Florida; pretty much full employment, Disney pays less than just about anyone here. There's no affordable housing anywhere near the parks, and who can afford the gas or the 2-hour city bus ride? 'Course, there's really no off-season anymore... since the Marathon started, the parks run at capacity for a couple of weeks after NYE.

Maybe the biggest challenge is just attitude, though... lots of folks (guests AND CMs) have a super-sized sense of entitlement. Why be nice if the the world owes you something? I haven't seen a single nice comment about "Mr.-Tigger Hit My Teen and Now He's Scarred Until I Get A Cash Settlement" - I think a lot of that attitude goes throughout society now, IMHO.

Great post, bratstarman!

Uponastar

We had a great time in the front of the monorail. Our driver gave us all "monorail pilot licences" and even let us take a picture of my DS with him. He answered all of my son's questions. Overall, it was a great experience, and hopefully, on our next trip, it will be the same.

We have had nice drivers. (Never got the licenses, though. :lookaroun)
And we are always appreciative.
But we have certainly gotten our fair-share of uninterested drivers, too.

Bratstarman

Original Poster
Some further thoughts...

I really resonate with the thought that "guests need to be nicer". Just because you pay admission does not give you the right to abuse people who work there. I believe we will see a revolution in service work over the next ten years. Folks are no longer willing to take abuse for minimum wage. And so those who get the best service work will be those who treat the workers the best.

The very best experience I had during this trip was at the Brown Derby. Everyone there was very polite, and I was impressed by the way my entire family acted towrds them. It was a wonderful evening, and in the end I tipped the waiter an amount probably equal to 5 hours of pay for an hourly worker.

I wonder what would happen if, as a result of "Mr. Tigger Jerk" the characters went on strike for a week or two? That would really be a wake-up call to everyone. Imagine a trip to Disney with NO characters at all.

We ALL need to learn to be nicer to those who are willing to work service for our benefit.

There are great cast members and there are poor cast members, but the fact is still that Disney is still the single largest one site employer in the country ( world?). Or atleast thats what I remember hearing. As a cast memeber I think I do and great job. And I know alot of other cast members who are incredible. But unfortunately not everyone in the world can be great nor incredible. Maybe everyone should give Disney a break, or move down here and work and change it. I would love if disney raised their hiring standards, but then you would complain as hotels had to close and everything changes with not enough castmembers to run the parks. I know some cast members are less than stellar, but alot of them are made that way by the guest, Sometimes they can be absolutly horrible.

I don't know, I love my job and have a large group of friends whom loe their jobs as well. I just wish we could all get along.

optjay

Well, let me say that I'm glad to not be the only one with the "I guess so"
monorail drivers. I've been down to Disney some 50 plus times in the last 15 years and never tire of riding up front. So when wife got her first ride up front I thought it would be as fun for her as me. Wrong!! " I guess so" , and the silent treatment really made her uneasy about being up front. My wife thought maybe we did'nt "belong" up front. A couple years after that I took the kids for their first ride. Same story. But the kids did enjoy it !! But whats not to enjoy as a child at the World anyway, Right?

Epcot82Guy

Just from a business perspective, this is a concern. A few facts to point out:

1. Disney World is huge, but Disney is huge because of Disney's choice. It cannot and should not be an excuse for people to let service slide. The size is likely the problem as a whole. Disney grew too quickly and too much. When it only employed half the staff, it had a wonderful experience. There simply aren't that many people willing to do a great job for the intangible happiness benefit in the Orlando area. It's not that large of a city and not a city with a huge young population looking for initial jobs or bottom-rung experiences with the hopes of rising.

2. Service was the hallmark of the Disney experience. It was long the benchmark and still is to an extent, but it is quickly losing graces with the business community as this pinnacle.

3. There are many, many great castmembers. I like to consider myself one of those when I was there. I am sure most on these boards would as well (and rightfully so). However, in the service industry, you are not judged by your great castmembers; it is by the problematic ones. I can show you just about any corporation in the country and show you great employees. It is the percentage and noticeability of the bad members that creates the image of the company.

Having said all of these, I firmly believe the downfall has been the organization of the college program. This is a huge opportunity that has turned into little more than cheap labor. If the management was stronger, training was more prevalent, and expectations were set higher, I think people would see a dramatic improvement in this area. Second, the benefits have truly dropped. Therefore, FT CMs are having a tough time justifying the work. It is a sacrifice to work for Disney now, and that reflects. A nice restructuring, especially at the middle management level may be the best thing that could happen.

Uponastar

Well, let me say that I'm glad to not be the only one with the "I guess so"
monorail drivers. I've been down to Disney some 50 plus times in the last 15 years and never tire of riding up front. So when wife got her first ride up front I thought it would be as fun for her as me. Wrong!! " I guess so" , and the silent treatment really made her uneasy about being up front. My wife thought maybe we did'nt "belong" up front. A couple years after that I took the kids for their first ride. Same story. But the kids did enjoy it !! But whats not to enjoy as a child at the World anyway, Right?

Last trip we didn't even get an "I guess so". We got an "I'm not taking anyone up front" barked at us! We took it with a grain of salt. No big deal for us. But if children would have been involved, it would have been sad.

Having said that, I guess everyone's entitled to a bad day.

smk

Do people really need better pay in order to do a good job? What about a waiter who doesn't know if you will tip well at the end of your meal and does a great job anyway? Is that just someone who takes pride in their job, regardless of the reward? Just my humble opinion....be nice.

optjay

I also think the number of food vending carts has increased so much, that the man power to staff them takes people away from more important jobs. Their spread to thin!! Not to mention the carts are an eye soar!!!

goof29

Let me preface this by saying that I love my job more than I can describe to you. It is an amazing place to work, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also think there is NEVER an excuse to be anything other than respectful and magical with Guests.

Having said that, there are definitely times when it can be extremely difficult to be magical when you've been cussed at, mistreated and screamed at by Guests (you wouldn't believe how people treat us sometimes) and you get your paycheck and realize you could make the same amount of money working at a fast food place.

Now I personally pride myself on professionalism and trying to never let it affect me, but there is definitely a disconnect between pay and the expectations placed on us.

But like I said, to me there's nothing like it. I made the decision to work here and stay here, and I meet the expectations placed on me because it's the right thing to do. Not everyone will unfortunately.

goof29

Let me preface this by saying that I love my job more than I can describe to you. It is an amazing place to work, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also think there is NEVER an excuse to be anything other than respectful and magical with Guests.

Having said that, there are definitely times when it can be extremely difficult to be magical when you've been cussed at, mistreated and screamed at by Guests (you wouldn't believe how people treat us sometimes) and you get your paycheck and realize you could make the same amount of money working at a fast food place.

Now I personally pride myself on professionalism and trying to never let it affect me, but there is definitely a disconnect between pay and the expectations placed on us.

But like I said, to me there's nothing like it. I made the decision to work here and stay here, and I meet the expectations placed on me because it's the right thing to do. Not everyone will unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom