Not happy with the plan, would you go anyway?

daisyduckie

Would you go along on an extended family trip to WDW if you were not thrilled with the arrangements? Say, there is someone who wants to be in charge of the planning (as they apparently have felt left out in the past) and the first thing that comes up is they want to have 5 (with a possibility of it being 6) adults and 1 teenager stay in an off site 2 bedroom unit? And that would mean that you have to share a room (not a huge issue in the past) and you have pretty horrible insomnia? Plus the person doing the planning wants everyone to stick together all of the time?

Not sure what I should do here. I would love to go to WDW with these people, and if it is only 5 adults would not have a problem, as I could take the fold out in the living room area. But if it is 6 adults, which is more likely, I will have to share a room. And have no place to go when the inevitable happens and I wake up in the middle of the night.:grumpy: The trip planner hates having people in separate rooms, hence the wanting to book a 2 bedroom suite.

Do I suck it up? Hope the 1 adult ends up not going? Book my own room, which seems stupid as one room at this hotel would be more than a value room on Disney property. Book a value room and say we can get together in the parks, but then miss out on all the other fun things that happen as a group? Just not go?

ToTBellHop

Staying at a different resort than everyone else in your group doesn't sound like a family vacation to me. If that is the only way you can be happy, I wouldn't go with the family. Not judging, by the way. I had a similar issue to this a few years back with my family and we just decided not to go. My mom wanted to plan everything and that just didn't fly with my wife and I. It's too much money to spend to be miserable.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
What do the others in your group say? Spend your money in a way that will make you happy. If staying onsite is truly a money saving option for everyone maybe they would agree to that. If you stay with them make it clear that you want your own room to sleep and be clear you are willing to pay extra if needed, point out your insomnia and that you don't want to inconvience or disturb anyone else's sleep. Those are good reasons to want your own room.

Upvote 0

smk

No. There's a reason we don't go with any friends or family, we like touring at our own pace and on our own schedule. If there's a chance of having a bad time due to others in your party then I'd say don't go. It costs too much to go if you know beforehand that you'll have a bad time.
Could not agree more! As an adult, you deserve your own space as you are paying for it. IF you want to go, book your own arrangements and meet up with them. I snore terribly, or so I am told, I tend not believe it. However, IF it were to be true, sharing a room with someone other than my husband would be very uncomfortable for others in the room. I share with CLOSE family, my children and my husband and THAT IS IT. Period, end of story.

Upvote 0

loriloughs

We have been to Disney many times and have gone with family and non-family. Disney is too expensive not to be happy. Speaking from experience, if you feel resentful now, it will get worse when you are there. Every little petty thing will irritate you and will ruin your vacation unless you make peace with it ahead of time! Make a decision either to stay on property by yourself and join your party in the parks or suck it up and stay with them. Whatever you decide, just make sure to be at peace with your choice! Remember that Disney is a magical place whether you stay on property or not! Your attitude will make the vacation good or bad!

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

With 6 adults, stay off site in a house. They are usually 4-5 bedrooms with a family room and game room. It would only be about $1000 for a week. I would also not want to be committed to a group 24/7 for an entire trip. People want to do different things.

I would think hard before going if this is what it is like now. It will get worse.

Upvote 0

stevehousse

Ya you can find a great low priced very nice house with tons of bedrooms! Just make sure you google search their locations. You can find tons of houses that are less than a 5 minute drive to the gates. Staying offsite isn't terrible, but it does have its disadvantages. No fre parking, no EMH, and only 30 day FP selections. It isn't terrible though.

The biggest concern is of course getting do to what you want to do. I think you should just come out and say that there might be certain things you want to do alone with your and just do it. If it makes her unhappy, oh well. It's your money and your vacation.

Upvote 0

tigger1968

I made the mistake of agreeing to a trip several years back that consisted of the wife and her mom and her siblings, for a total of 13 of us in 4 family units. We were the experts with many many trips, and yet one sister contradicted every suggestion we made, and questioned every decision, despite never having visited the parks. Her goal seemed to just cause trouble. We gave in and changed some plans and basically acquiesced to her wishes on things in an effort to keep the peace. As I expected...the trip was stressful, complicated, and NOT FUN. We realized later that we should have been more vocal and explained that we had the experience to back up the choices we offered. So on that sour note...I offer my two cents lol.

Speak up now regarding your concerns. I can agree with others here that two rooms is not enough space. Plus as you point out, you can potentially do it all cheaper by staying on property. If you fly in, you can just use DME and skip a car rental.

The idea of 6 adults spending the entire trip together is most likely not going to work. Everyone has different wants or ideas of what to do in the parks. Sure, I think its important to tour the parks as a group, but I also like the idea of blocking out time for everyone to have to themselves. Build it around meals. Maybe do breakfast together and hit a park and then do lunch and everyone gets the afternoon to do what they want, then meet for dinner. This works way better staying on property since it's so easy to take a bus back to your resort at your convenience...hint hint...:)

Has the person in your group who wants to plan all this been before? I understand the desire to do off property (well, really I don't, I want to be immersed lol) but given that you can do ON property cheaper, it just seems like you have to convince the rest of the advantages. Perhaps purchase a guide book ( highly recommend The Unofficial Guide ) and use it as the leverage you need to win everyone over without it appearing to be YOUR idea. Sort of "the book says this is the best option".

Whatever you do, speak up. Be firm but be polite. Express your concerns and stand your ground. Better to have some awkward discussion now as opposed to my trip, where it happened in the airport, the front desk at ASM, and pretty much every meal. :banghead:

Upvote 0

Roakor

The bottom line is are you paying for the trip? If your not paying then you just have to suck it up and make the best of it. your at disney and someone else is footing the bill. It sure beats the hell out of being at work.

If its a split bill then you will have to make compromises but you should definitely speak up about things you have concerns over.

If your paying for the trip then you have every right to plan the trip your way.

I have been in all three situations and have managed to have a great time in them all.

Upvote 0

britdaw

If you're not going to be comfortable/happy, don't do it. There's no sense in having a less happy of a vacation just to satisfy someone else. It's your vacation, too; you should do what you want.

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

I'm almost afraid to offer any input, as this seems to set the planner off. To start with, it seems kind of silly to stay off site, as by the time we rent a van, the cost is almost as much as a family suite at the music resort would be, what with Disney offering a room discount now.

Not sure what to do.

Tell them that!

It seems a bit crazy to make 6 adults stay in the same room. Also a bit crazy to make everyone stay together all the time! Words will fly if everyone stays together all the time and the "planner" is short tempered. All situations are different...but I probably wouls not go. I've been there before, but I left them. Lol.

Upvote 0

GrammieBee

To put it quite simply; if you are unhappy with the plan before you even get there, it will not make you any happier once you are there. Will it mean a miserable vacation? If you can't reach some sort of an acceptable plan before you go----only you can decide.

Upvote 0

jambisket

Id have a get together quick and express how I feel. Maybe they think you dont care what the arrangements are. It can be done. Its your vacation to. Every one shouldnt be made to "stick together". My huge family tried this once at another theme park and it didnt work well. When we went again, we stayed in separate but close accommodations and went our own way in the park and met up a couple times for that special ride/attraction and maybe lunch. Later that night we would all get together for dinner if everyone was up to it and then go have a good nights sleep with lots of privacy and space. Everyone should compromise. Your planner especially.
Have a great time:)

Upvote 0

Philhar-Fanatic

When we tour with our extended family we all make our own arrangements. We usually don't even stay at the same hotel. We do get together and book fastpasses at same times though. We say, this is where we'll be in the morning at a certain time, if you want to join us that'd be great! My motto is, "If you want to tag along and do what "I'm" doing then come on, if not that's ok too!" We can always catch up later. Disney is too expensive to go and be miserable. Do what makes your immediate family happy. After all, it is your vacation.

Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

I'll pile on......if you are paying the same amount as everyone else, then you should have a say. I would say book a room on your own even if it's on property and meet them there.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Unless they are footing the bill for a vacation long open bar and driving duties, I'd stay onsite and think occasionally about meeting them in a part once or twice... that is unles you're trying out for a role in the next 50 Shades movie.

Upvote 0

daisyduckie

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm not sure what I am going to do as the trip planner has fallen down on her job, and not done one thing! Good thing I have and adult nephew who likes hanging at WDW with his Auntie. We are planning a trip in October, just in case the May one with the whole family doesn't happen.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

If you want to go in May, the Spring Discount is still available. You can always book something now and cancel if plans re-start and you want to be in with the group. Room only reservations and package reservations do have different cancellation policies, so keep that in mind as the when the last day to cancel would be. Marie

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom