Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Okay, first of all, I hate the attraction's name. "Frozen Ever After"? What does that even MEAN?

Second, what, exactly, is the story supposed to be? I didn't see a story. It's just... See Olaf and Sven. See the Head Troll. See Elsa singing. See Marshmallow. Anna doesn't even appear until the final scene. The Pooh ride at Disneyland has a clearer story than this, and that can essentially be summed up as, "The weather's lousy, somebody put something weird in Pooh's honey, and now it's his birthday"!

Admittedly, I do like the idea of having Marshmallow make an appearance... And having the queue pass through Wandering Oaken's.

Because the song is popular and they needed to shoehorn it in. Really, it's not even that good of a song. I prefer THIS version over Idina Menzel's:

That video put a serious smile on my face, thanks for posting it :) That guy has some serious talent.
The concept art shows projections and screens and the same cheap style of sets that were used in the test track "upgrade" and keep in mind concept art is usually supposed to look better than the finished product...
Quoted for truth.
Whoopee flippin' do.

Or we could talk about designing Tokyo Disneyland and EPCOT Center AND the original NFL all at the same time. Oh, plus two Big Thundermountains too.
ilt.gif

It also doesn't help that WDI can't spend money efficiently. I hate to beat on the dead horse, but Universal's expansions all pay for themselves quickly because Universal doesn't have incredibly bloated budgets like WDI does. There's no reason Little Mermaid should have been a more expensive attraction than Forbidden Journey.
Quoting this for truth as well.
Oh, I disagree....

Imagineers spent a combined 3,468 hours scuba diving in Scandinavian waters for research in order to be able to replicate the experience for guests. That doesn't come cheap.

How else could they offer such an immersive and realistic environment?

;)
:hilarious:
An excerpt from How Disney Milks its Hits for Profits Ever After, from the Wall Street Journal:

Purists may scoff at putting sentient snowmen in a park meant to “entertain with a purpose,” as Disney’s chief executive described Epcot when it opened in 1982.

But Disney executives point out that “Frozen” is tied to Scandinavian art and culture, adding that millions more people will likely visit Norway and the rest of the World Showcase just to experience the new four-minute ride.

“We have to be careful not be too doctrinaire when we apply these principles,” said Mr. Staggs.

Essentially, Staggs states that upholding the original mission of Epcot is impractical.
Staggs is a poopoo head, for lack of being able to use a more appropriate adjective.
At least they paid homage to the old ride...
View attachment 96195
Omg :hilarious:
So if we take our 360/hr for M&g and add it to the 900/hr for Frozenstrom, you get 15,000/day, assuming 9-9.

Oh dear god. This just wasn't thought through with any sort of operational reality, was it?
The only thought was this.
image.jpg

FINALLY CAUGHT UP!!! :D

Marlins1

This project is really hard to understand because of the capacity issue. They are adding capacity to Soarin and TSMM and improving infrastructure and pathways all over. One of the best decisions of NFL was the added Dumbo spinner. This goes in the complete opposite direction.

OvertheFalls

Just curious. When did you visit Epcot as a child? I don't need the exact years, ballpark mostly.

I ask this because it seems completely different than the experiences I had with Epcot as a child. Going by the age in your profile, you were born right around the height of EPCOT Center, the decline started really coming by the early 90s.

Maybe that is the difference. Maybe it's because I was able to experience it in my childhood, when it really meant something other than being "just a theme park".

The first time I remember going was over 20 years ago, it was my favorite park until Animal Kingdom was built. I enjoy Epcot and loved Maelstrom (I died a little inside when they said they were going to re-theme). I was not trying to say I want Epcot to be strictly a theme park, just questioning its validity as a solid teaching venue. My point was more if you asked young me as I left the pavilion what did I learn, I probably would have said something like Norway has trolls. Maybe I did learn more on that day, quite possible, and it was pushed out with too much school.

Arthur Wellesley

From the article:
Once they board their logs, “Frozen Ever After” riders will first see goofy snowman Olaf and equally goofy reindeer Sven setting up the Winter Festival premise.

Next is a stop at Troll Valley, where Grandpappy Troll tells a gathering of children the story of how Anna and Kristof met, before the log goes up a ramp to find Olaf again,....
If they are using the same flume layout, isn't that quite a lot to cram into the short space between loading the boats, and going up that lift hill?

Captain Chaos

Atleast up here in boston we still have a smidge of civil liberty left....almost gone though aha.
The civil liberty does not come in handy when you are buried in 100 inches of snow. I really felt bad for you all. I'd hate having that kind of a winter.

Oh and heck with Frozen. This still sucks.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
From the article:

If they are using the same flume layout, isn't that quite a lot to cram into the short space between loading the boats, and going up that lift hill?

Hey they crammed a bunch of stuff into IASW (okay not a great example as IASW is a HUGE show building).... Some Beany Baby size Olafs and such should fit nicely with the new direction of the attraction....

*1023*

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Fred from CA on June 9th, 2015 at 5:37 pm
“I applaud Disney Parks blog for leaving the negative comments up–a step in the right direction.”

Christine–
Contrary to popular belief, Disney Parks blog has ALWAYS allowed negative comments, provided of course that they are not inappropriate. As some examples; There are plenty of negative comments on the announcement post for Avatar Land. As well as the post about California Adventure’s Disney Dance Crew show in 2010 (the show was ultimately short-lived.

Incidentally, there are in fact some Disney fans sites that delete comments if they are not praising their rumor posts.

FettFan

So... lets assume for a minute that Frozenstrom gives Epcot a (much needed) 20% attendance boost (and i forget where I heard that, just go with it).....

2014 TEA Estimates have the crowd at 11.229M guests, a 20% bump gives them 13.744M guests/year, works out to 37600 guests/day or an extra 6300 guests/day over 2014 numbers (which is 32000 guests/day)

We've already established that between the M&G and the Ride, we're looking at only serving in the ballpark of 15,000 guests per day over a 12 hour day. Separating those out? 10800 for the ride, 4300 for the M&G.

You're going to have some seriously angry people because they just paid a fortune to come stand in line all day long for their 10 year old to ride frozen OR they just paid a fortune to see a four hour long line for frozen and now their 10 year old is in tears.

The supply will not meet demand by any stretch of the imagination.

And honestly, Frozen deserves better.

Edit: Frozen is only adding 360(ish)/guests per hour with their M&G. Lets not kid ourselves here. This is not some massive expansion. We're taking the lowest capacity ride in the park (900/hr) and theming it to the hottest property Disney has (as or right now, that will change December 18th)

That's why Disney would have been smarter to add an entire Frozen mini-land on the area currently occupied by the Tomorrowland Speedway.
- TS is noisy
- TS reeks of exhaust fumes
- TS already had a quarter of it ripped out when they decided to build Mickey's Birthdayland (now Storybook Circus)
- A Frozen mini-land would have incorporated a ride, a themed meet-and-greet location, and they could also build a show tunnel for the WDW railroad.

But nope, let's cheap out and put it in an existing ride building.

PhotoDave219

That's why Disney would have been smarter to add an entire Frozen mini-land on the area currently occupied by the Tomorrowland Speedway.
- TS is noisy
- TS already had a quarter of it ripped out when they decided to build Mickey's Birthdayland (now Storybook Circus)
- A Frozen mini-land would have incorporated a ride, a themed meet-and-greet location, and they could also build a show tunnel for the WDW railroad.

Put the brakes on your speedway hate there....

Pirouline

- TS is noisy

Am I the only one here who likes the speed way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom