Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar R M

And where on earth are they building houses in one month?
Maybe thats why they took months to refurb. The house was so badly built, they had to fix all the inner areas.

Yet SpaceX lanches something into orbit and lands the vehicle safely back at the launchpad.

as far I know, they only managed to do that 1 out of 4 times.
The last one exploded spectacularly.

Cesar R M

Better armchair :D
8o2lq2y.gif

I'm not trying to act like I know about everything about the design process of an attraction, because I don't. I'm pretty clueless as a matter of fact. I was merely expressing my frustration that it seems to take Disney forever to build anything nowadays, even smaller-scale attractions like this. Now I know this isn't being built from scratch and I probably shouldn't have made the comparison, but I keep wondering, if they are having so many problems working with the space they chose and it would have been easier to just build it from scratch in another park, then why did they not just do that?

could also be related to the reshuffle inside WDI and how almost all the attention of WDI was focused on Shangai.

majortom1981

We remodeled our ENTIRE kitchen from soup to nuts. Everything down to the flooring was torn out. We even had to have all the plumbing redone because we moved the sink and dishwasher to a new area. It took about 3 days total. Not being argumentative, just pointing out that it doesnt take four months unless youve got shoddy contractors or you live in a house in the Hamptons that has name like "Cherry Hill". And where on earth are they building houses in one month?

Considering they are not changing the track layout much, the rest of the work is set dressing and adding AA's. IMO, they really have no excuse for taking this long other than spreading out cost over time which is understandable to an extent, but not for this long. Coupled with Soarin going offline it was just very bad planning or lack thereof. And if building from the ground up is easier, why did 7DMT take 5 years? And dont say because they were working in a confined space. They had it walled off and had all the space they needed and had no problems working during park hours.

Was that remodel done the legal way? Getting permits , plans and everything else required? Does that figure into your 3 day total?

A foolish mortal

I'd rather have Disney spend extra time on construction process and make it right.. Instead of rushing it, open than have a bad attraction (who knows.. maybe it'll be bad anyways). Maelstrom closed October 5th 2014. Remember, they cleared the whole building, changed the track, changed the load and unload, probably fixing a lot of the ride system (and other things) that often broke down, adding working AAs and probably effects. Songs and recordings of voices. They're also redoing the entrance and queue, etc. Theres like a huge process, and each step might take weeks to complete. From what i have seen it is a very small crew working on this and in the beginning it was done just a few hours each night. Dont really feel like its "that slow" at all.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Any chance we see them put a mini version of Elsa's Castle (a.l.a. what they did with Beast's castle in NFL) on the mountain they are building behind the meet and great?

rle4lunch

Well, in actuality Maelstrom was a "****" attraction anyway. An incoherent "storyline", ridiculously short ride time for the type of ride it is (the only worse offender of this is Kali RR), only to end with a commercial for a cruise line then plop you into an over-scented perfume house that rivals the stank of a Yankee candle shop. Good riddance to a value engineered crap fest. I'm sure Frozen will have a glorious interactive queue where the snowman and moose crack wise at you while you wait 3 hours to ride a 27 second ride that will include cardboard cutouts of the ice castle and villain, yet manage to shoehorn an oil rig and a cruise ship promoting a new Frozen-themed 6 day 5 night cruise off the coast of Greenland, err, Arrendale.

A foolish mortal

Yes, this could have been built faster. Universal built Transformers in 11 months. But that is because Universal wanted it open in 11 months and made it happen. Disney saw no reason to have this open any sooner than it is opening. Simple as that.

Are you talking about transformers that is basically just 3D screens... no surprise that it took 11 months

A foolish mortal

Any chance we see them put a mini version of Elsa's Castle (a.l.a. what they did with Beast's castle in NFL) on the mountain they are building behind the meet and great?
No! Because the extension is not Arendelle. Its Norway. The inside is frozen yes, but not the exterior. So no castle ;)

lazyboy97o

I think part of the frustration in construction time length is what has previously been mentioned. They have built larger rides, heck even entire theme parks in the past, back when auto cad engineering programs did not exist and computers were not on scene and there was no satellite mapping, etc. One would think that with all the technology they have at their disposal today, it would be a bit quicker, or at least the same amount of time, not twice or three times as long. And even the rides are more sophisticated (AA's, trackless) most of that is developed offsite so it cant be an excuse that the attractions re more "sophisticated".
We tend to think of time and productivity as being driven by the task, but time allotted actually has a lot of influence. If one has a task that used to take four days but can now be done in two, in most cases it will still take four. This is especially true with more open ended tasks such as design. Disney says that switching from AutoCAD to Revit has dropped drawing clean up from two days to a few hours. That doesn't mean projects get done a day sooner; it means spending an extra day designing and modeling which is itself not entirely unjustified.

All of that gets combined with a culture of overtime that starts right in school where students are given 24 hour acces to facilities and expected to use that acces, and a a large number of employees who are paid by the hour.

Going to intrude here.

Beyond construction, wouldn't the art part of this project take a lot of time. I can see a handful of artists with advanced degrees in "Art Stuff" lying on their backs on scaffolding carefully gluing hand cut construction paper snowflakes to surfaces and painting glitterfarts on to the ceiling, walls, everything. That's going to take a long time. The art of these attractions doesn't come from a factory in Taiwan.
There are essentially "factories" (for lack of a better term) that do this sort of work.

Disneyhead'71

Are you talking about transformers that is basically just 3D screens... no surprise that it took 11 months
Nice try! Transformers took 11 months because Universal put 24/7 construction crews on the job that only took 2 days off during the process.

The Disney fans that proudly proclaim Transformers is just a warehouse with movie screens are either ignorant or willfully disingenuous. I'm thinking the later.

A foolish mortal

The Disney fans that proudly proclaim Transformers is just a warehouse with movie screens are either ignorant or willfully disingenuous. I'm thinking the later.
So what do call it then? I actually think you are ignorant or willfully disingenuous if you dont see that it actually is just a building with 3D screens ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Demolition of a building, construction of a new one, installation of a twin floor show scene environment and props, a state of the art ride system, 4 high speed ride elevators, a digital audio system....

And then the huge multiple 4K screens and twin projection systems. All whilst surrounded by an open theme park on all four sides.

Since we're splitting hairs.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Demolition of a building, construction of a new one, installation of a twin floor show scene environment and props, a state of the art ride system, 4 high speed ride elevators, a digital audio system....

And then the huge multiple 4K screens and twin projection systems. All whilst surrounded by an open theme park on all four sides.

is that supposed to impress us? :)

A foolish mortal

Its still just a building with 3D screens... you even said so yourself, just now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom