Non-Disney cruises and illnesses...impacts on DCL?

love disney

Original Poster
Just curious what you all think, with the two recent cruise lines in the news with probably norovirus, I would think it likely that the cruise industry might feel some impacts in terms of slow bookings, canceled bookings, etc. (of course I could be wrong about this). If this is the case, even though Disney Cruise Line has a good health record as far as I can tell, do you think they might be impacted at all or maybe temporarily cut prices a bit to ward off slow bookings? Just wondering...and it might have something to do with the fact that my wife and I plan on booking a Disney cruise once we get our tax refund (2nd Anniversary trip!!!).

Ralphlaw

This, I think, hurts Disney. No matter how spotless you make the ship, a bout of nasty viruses can strike an ship. Yeah, I would hope that Disney would be less likely to get struck, but there's no guarantees.

ChuckElias

Something to pass along to potential clients who are concerned about shipboard illnesses:

"In 2013, CLIA reports, there were seven norovirus outbreaks reported to the CDC, involving a total of 1,238 passengers. Approximately 10.1 million passengers embarked on a CLIA cruise ship from a U.S. port in 2012 (2013 data is not yet available). So the number of passengers suffering from a gastrointestinal illness is approximately 0.102 percent.

Don’t believe CLIA? The CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) tracks such outbreaks. Cruise ship medical staff are required to send gastrointestinal illness reports to VSP 24 to 36 hours before arriving at a U.S. port from a foreign port — even when there are no cases to report.

Separate notification must be made when 2 percent or more of the passengers or crew are ill with gastrointestinal illness. The VSP staff conducts an investigation and makes a report public when the number reaches 3 percent or more.

So, for 2013, my research found nine CDC gastrointestinal illness outbreak reports from cruise ships, affecting 1,505 passengers. Seven of those outbreaks were judged to have been caused by norovirus, which affected 1,321 passengers.

So put that into perspective: the CDC says norovirus, the most common cause of acute gastroenteritis in the U.S., causes 19 million to 21 million illnesses each year. An infinitesimal percentage catches it on cruise ships, so in no way is it only a “cruise ship illness.” You can look up these statistics up yourself here."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So I was on the Caribbean Princess that sailed out on the 18th, so the trip before this latest voyage where a bunch got sick. We got emails a couple days before the cruise letting us know there were several cases of the norovirus on the voyage before so boarding would be delayed so they could do a "deep clean" of the ship. The captain also talked about it during the muster station drill and that how everyone must work together to prevent illness. During the cruise, were were not allowed to serve ourselves at the buffet, a crew member would. Also, there were no salt and pepper on the tables in the dining room or bread, again all served to us. Also, gloves were worn by most staff members at food serving areas. It seems that all this prevention worked as there was no outbreak. By the last day on the cruise, we were able to serve ourselves at the buffet. I am sure glad I did not go a week later and have to deal with this outbreak with a 9 month old in hand.

From what I understand, it is pretty easy for this virus to spread aboard a ship. If one or two people board while being sick, it can spread like wildfire. Passengers must do their best to help to stop the spread of these types of outbreaks. The crew cannot do it alone.

With that being said, it will not stop me from cruising. I have a Disney Cruise booked in April. :)

DisSplash

We were just of the Dream 1/19 - 1/23, and thought it a bit unusual that a cast member was standing outside every single entrance to Cabanas (from both sets of doors to/from the pool,to the elevators and stairwell) with a tub of antibacterial wipes handing one to each single person every time they entered Cabanas ... at first I thought it strange, but we complied. (It was hard not to as they literally shoved it into your hands if you did not reach out for it on your own). We even had to do it twice when we left Cabanas and had to go back in for something we forgot ... I figured it was just due to the time of year and the colds and viruses that tend to fly around, especially since you could hear people coughing just about everywhere ...

I will say we were pretty happy about that practice after we got home and heard about the RC and Princess fiascos. It's also got me wondering whether DCL had a minor issue with the prior sailing ... Hmmm .. I prefer to believe that it was just them being proactive!

sweetpee_1993

The crew with the tubs of wipes that you described is the standard procedure we've experienced on every one if our Disney cruises. You can't enter a dining room on a Disney ship without a wipe. I personally find it a bit more proactive than the sanitizer stands outside the Allure of the Seas eateries. We saw lots of people pass up those sanitizer stands without using them. On DCL you gotta be strong in your covert ops to sneak past the wipe brigade. LOL!

Tom

Beta Return
The crew with the tubs of wipes that you described is the standard procedure we've experienced on every one if our Disney cruises. You can't enter a dining room on a Disney ship without a wipe. I personally find it a bit more proactive than the sanitizer stands outside the Allure of the Seas eateries. We saw lots of people pass up those sanitizer stands without using them. On DCL you gotta be strong in your covert ops to sneak past the wipe brigade. LOL!

You're right....you don't get through to a restaurant without a wet wipe. And I, for one, think it's fantastic. Really made me feel a lot more comfortable. Nobody should intentionally avoid them, or not use them - that's just irresponsible.

sweetpee_1993

I actually prefer to wash my hands and use the wipes. Seriously, there's never too much. Being sick on vacation sucks. Having more than 1 person sick with stomach issues in a room is NOT fun.

Disneyfalcon

The tubs are normal as everyone said. You know they're on EXTRA high alert when you aren't allowed to serve yourself at buffets. On our Thanksgiving cruise the servers had to help us at the buffet. I didn't enjoy that quite as much as going and grabbing what I wanted myself, but I understood.

They also cancel pin trading when they're really worried and we've seen that too.

Ariel484

We're booked with DCL for July...second cruise for me, first for my husband. He's always been very nervous about cruising (more a fear of being out in the middle of the ocean) and was non-too-pleased to see these stories. My response was yeah, it sucks, but it just takes one person and the same thing could happen in the high school he teaches in...some germy kid could come in and infect everyone, so will he stop going in to school? Knowing that the CMs hand out the wipes and remembering that DCL hasn't been the subject of one of these stories helps, too.

sweetpee_1993

We've been nervous enough in the past, particularly flu season, that we brought Clorox wipes & Lysol with us. When we got in our stateroom we were like a crazy cleaning team. Everyone took wipes and went nutty wiping all surfaces, doors, switches, etc etc. Then the Lysol bomb happened. Sprayed down the soft surfaces thoroughly. It felt kinda nuts but we were really worried about getting sick.

Sans Souci

We're booked with DCL for July...second cruise for me, first for my husband. He's always been very nervous about cruising (more a fear of being out in the middle of the ocean) and was non-too-pleased to see these stories. My response was yeah, it sucks, but it just takes one person and the same thing could happen in the high school he teaches in...some germy kid could come in and infect everyone, so will he stop going in to school? Knowing that the CMs hand out the wipes and remembering that DCL hasn't been the subject of one of these stories helps, too.

A norovirus outbreak was always something that long prevented me from ever booking a cruise. I think what's in your favor is that you are going in July and it seems like late Spring into Summer is when there are fewer cases of noro in the Northern Hemisphere. I guess that makes sense, given school is out and people are not in close quarters like they are in the winter.

So, I think you'll both be OK. :)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Enchantment funnels all windjammer traffic through purell stations. Stations before rebooting at ports. Sounds to be common practice. I imagine in a large frenzy of people getting into an eatery a few could slip through the cracks though

ChuckElias

But what if you touched something between the bathroom and your table? Even an elevator button, railing, doorknob.
Either I know that I haven't touched anyone/anything, or I've used the bathroom that is right next to the restaurant. Those are the cases I'm talking about. I'm not talking about having washed 20 minutes ago. Sorry if I gave that impression. I meant if I've literally JUST washed, which happens with me more than you might think, as I've turned into a bit of a germophobe in my 40's.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Something to pass along to potential clients who are concerned about shipboard illnesses:

"In 2013, CLIA reports, there were seven norovirus outbreaks reported to the CDC, involving a total of 1,238 passengers. Approximately 10.1 million passengers embarked on a CLIA cruise ship from a U.S. port in 2012 (2013 data is not yet available). So the number of passengers suffering from a gastrointestinal illness is approximately 0.102 percent.

Don’t believe CLIA? The CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) tracks such outbreaks. Cruise ship medical staff are required to send gastrointestinal illness reports to VSP 24 to 36 hours before arriving at a U.S. port from a foreign port — even when there are no cases to report.

Separate notification must be made when 2 percent or more of the passengers or crew are ill with gastrointestinal illness. The VSP staff conducts an investigation and makes a report public when the number reaches 3 percent or more.

So, for 2013, my research found nine CDC gastrointestinal illness outbreak reports from cruise ships, affecting 1,505 passengers. Seven of those outbreaks were judged to have been caused by norovirus, which affected 1,321 passengers.

So put that into perspective: the CDC says norovirus, the most common cause of acute gastroenteritis in the U.S., causes 19 million to 21 million illnesses each year. An infinitesimal percentage catches it on cruise ships, so in no way is it only a “cruise ship illness.” You can look up these statistics up yourself here."
How dare you brings facts into a conversation like this. We need more fear mongering and saber rattling!;)

Statistically, you stand a much better chance of getting norovirus in the regular world than you do on a cruise ship. The only real down side is if it or something similar gets on a cruise ship, it can spread quite rapidly. Much of the risk can mitigated by making a little more effort in terms of hygiene.

Kevin P

We were just of the Dream 1/19 - 1/23, and thought it a bit unusual that a cast member was standing outside every single entrance to Cabanas (from both sets of doors to/from the pool,to the elevators and stairwell) with a tub of antibacterial wipes handing one to each single person every time they entered Cabanas ... at first I thought it strange, but we complied. (It was hard not to as they literally shoved it into your hands if you did not reach out for it on your own). We even had to do it twice when we left Cabanas and had to go back in for something we forgot ... I figured it was just due to the time of year and the colds and viruses that tend to fly around, especially since you could hear people coughing just about everywhere ...

I will say we were pretty happy about that practice after we got home and heard about the RC and Princess fiascos. It's also got me wondering whether DCL had a minor issue with the prior sailing ... Hmmm .. I prefer to believe that it was just them being proactive!

They did the same thing on our Cruise for the Wonder during the week of Halloween. I just think they are more pro-active than other cruise lines about the germs and such. It was the first time I was on a Cruise boat, outside of the Navy, but I will always respect being pro-active about fighting germs before anyone gets sick. One or two got some kind of bug, but I found out that they were sick before getting on the boat - since the kind of viruses those two people had, needed take time before it made anyone sick, let alone spread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom