Trip Report No Sounds Like Summer? We'll JOURNEY Anyway! *COMPLETED*

It was this week last summer that @TrolleyFollower91 and I had an epic girls trip to WDW.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...e-july-journey-completed.917246/#post-7369605

On our first day we rocked to the music of DSB ~ the ultimate Journey tribute band ~ at the America Gardens Theater in Epcot. It was an event we'll always remember. DSB was the final band in the annual "Sounds Like Summer" concert series. The lead singer said the band was looking forward to returning next summer.

IMG_1332.JPG

And here we are.....it's "next summer."

But there has been no "Sounds Like Summer" concert series in 2017. :(
No DSB. :arghh:

Don't. Stop. Believin'.

Em and I refuse to go our Separate Ways. We have too much fun together. We have one last chance to do WDW together before school starts and by golly we're gonna do it....even without DSB.

Want to tag along?

Attempting a full-fledged LIVE trip report is daunting and difficult, so I decided to follow @TheMouseFan's lead and be LIVE-ish. Real time pics and updates to be expanded on after my return home.

Oh, and I will finish my currently-in-progress trip report. :D

Who's ready for Summer #2?
IMG_3160.JPG

We are!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I could not agree more. I can't stand nuts with ice cream!

Btw, nothing chewable in ice cream. It hurts my teeth. If I eat a cone, each bite of cone must first be free of ice cream. :confused:

I’m #TeamCrunch on ice cream - specifically pretzels. I love the salty and sweet.

Now I want pretzels and ice cream. :p
I think Team Creamy Smooth is currently ahead of Team Crunch. ;)

I was expecting you to say say you ordered the 4th kitchen sink!!!
Oh gosh no! That was a one-and-done when there was 5 of us and we still couldn’t finish it!

riverside

Premium Member
Wednesday, July 26

It can be hard to pick a “best” day of vacation (after all, aren’t all Disney vacation days fun?) but Em and I agree that today was our favorite day of our trip.

Once again we rope-droppers eased into our morning and it felt so decadent! No rushing, no fussing. Em made coffee and we partook of our typical healthy breakfast.
View attachment 240121
The Ultimate Chocolate Lovers Variety Pack

On our itinerary was a mid-afternoon lunch ADR followed by some fastpasses. No plans for the evening.
But until lunch?
POOL!!!

“Wanna try the Copper Creek pool first?” I asked Em.
“No!” she replied without hesitation.

We’ve not spent much time in the WL main pool (formerly known as Silver Creek Falls pool.) In fact, I’m not sure if Em’s ever been in the main pool on any of our stays. We were never able to find chairs on the pool deck and usually ended up lounging on the beach and using the quiet pool (which was demolished to make room for the new Boulder Creek pool.)

Since I could see from our balcony that there were plenty of available loungers, I thought it might be enjoyable to try out the main pool before moving over to Boulder Ridge. Apparently Em did not feel the same way. She headed on to the quiet pool while I took some pictures before joining her there.

View attachment 240115

The water that flows into the pool starts as a spring in the lobby.
View attachment 240117

Not sure why the water play area was dry.
View attachment 240116

WL is certainly not short of hot tubs!
View attachment 240118

This water flows down into Bay Lake.
View attachment 240119

Okay, Em was right ~ having the Boulder Ridge Pool to ourselves was preferable to having to share the Copper Creek Pool.

#ShirleyStatus
View attachment 240120

There was literally no one else there for the first hour and only a handful of guests in the second hour. Em and I planned to hold off eating until our late lunch, but by 12:15 we were starving so I went to Roaring Fork to buy apples and peanut butter to snack on.

We remained at the pool for almost another hour before cleaning up for lunch.

I really wish I had taken pictures to accompany the next story, because words won’t do it justice. I summoned an Uber to take us to lunch. Moments later a black (inside and out) Town and Country pulled up under the porte cochère. A “professional” limo driver (he was dressed the part) stepped out and opened the door for us. Inside the vehicle were padded seat belts, a disco ball, oversized speakers, a container full of candy and two iPads (scrolling ads) attached to the back of the driver and passenger seats. There were “Do Not Touch” instruction labels on several things in the car. On the candy container was printed: “Take One Only” and across the top of the iPads was printed: “Eyeballs don’t leave fingerprints”.

Ummm.....okay.......

Em and I felt like we were trapped inside Doobby’s Taxiola from Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
View attachment 240123

We couldn’t wait to get out.

We did not chit chat with the driver since we were essentially speechless over what we were experiencing. There was music playing (gotta use those speakers after all!) but whatever it was I have blocked it out. When we arrived at our destination Em opened the door before the driver could.

We fled.
One word for this....CREEPY!!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I really wish I had taken pictures to accompany the next story, because words won’t do it justice. I summoned an Uber to take us to lunch. Moments later a black (inside and out) Town and Country pulled up under the porte cochère. A “professional” limo driver (he was dressed the part) stepped out and opened the door for us. Inside the vehicle were padded seat belts, a disco ball, oversized speakers, a container full of candy and two iPads (scrolling ads) attached to the back of the driver and passenger seats. There were “Do Not Touch” instruction labels on several things in the car. On the candy container was printed: “Take One Only” and across the top of the iPads was printed: “Eyeballs don’t leave fingerprints”.

Ummm.....okay.......

Em and I felt like we were trapped inside Doobby’s Taxiola from Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
50f200bb-1c16-4df6-9a71-ca6a10bfc9e0-jpeg.240123

We couldn’t wait to get out.

We did not chit chat with the driver since we were essentially speechless over what we were experiencing. There was music playing (gotta use those speakers after all!) but whatever it was I have blocked it out. When we arrived at our destination Em opened the door before the driver could.

We fled

Oh my gawd . . . this is hilarious!!! :hilarious: :hilarious:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em and I were back in our room only briefly before we headed out again. While in the Emporium last night I bought a dress without trying it on, which is always a risk with Disney merchandise. Sometimes the stuff runs true to size but often does not ~ and I have learned the importance of factoring in shrinkage. (For you Seinfeld fans, I’m talking laundry! ;) :p)

Anyhoo, I wanted to exchange the dress for a different size and the only place in all of WDW that had the size I desired was BVG at the Contemporary, a short boat ride away. (Thank goodness for the Shop Disney Parks app!)

F8A6E09A-D03F-46C1-9DCD-ED8122AAD9E0.jpeg

BFA31DCC-54BE-4F50-868F-946C295F0EC0.jpeg

Sunset was approaching and Em got some lovely shots during our cruise.

ED40BB47-4936-431E-A90B-9EC7B7EE9CC8.jpeg

B2FA12A4-C760-4D20-A29B-ED53D72BD22C.jpeg

AF3DAB4D-DB20-4E3F-AC3F-FF642DFDC8E3.jpeg

21E3E36B-B077-46B4-9C85-55C5AF4019B2.jpeg

53DE6DF5-10A5-497A-92AA-DFC2D4BA6CFF.jpeg

She was also stealth in capturing me doing a live TR update.
AAA20416-04A1-4D26-912B-483A53F2D7E2.jpeg

Em and I wandered around BVG but could not find the dress. I approached the CM working the register and inquired. He was not familiar with the dress and contacted another CM (Marie) who also did not recognize the dress but confirmed via computer that BVG had two in the size I wanted. Sweet Marie then went to search both stockrooms (which apparently are on different floors) and was gone for quite awhile. She did return with one in the correct size! I made sure to compliment her on Twitter for going the extra mile for me.

By now it was after 8 pm and we were hungry since we hadn’t eaten dinner yet. I suggested the Contempo Cafe, but Em said there was a flatbread at Roaring Fork she’d rather have so we made our way back down to the dock.

Little did we know what excitement awaited us there. :D

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
AC3BC890-4798-4C6B-9CDC-4D03755E2B63.jpeg

Two long boats (one on each side of the dock) were just pulling in. These boats were originally used for the Discovery River Cruise at AK and are now used for the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise. As we walked down towards the end of the dock the Captain said to us, “You just missed your boat. It will be at least 20 minutes for another WL boat.”

Dejected and in the early stages of hangry, Em and I sat down on a bench to wait. We both pulled out our phones and began to surf to pass the time. The Captain came over and began to mock us. Once he had our attention he wanted me to pose with him for a “Magic Shot” even though there wasn’t a PP Photographer anywhere in sight. I played along and we bantered back and forth. A few minutes later the Cruise Director arrived and I overheard the Captain ask her if Em and I could stowaway on his boat. Before we even knew what was happening, Em and I were told to board the boat and sit in Row 19!

EA610532-F60E-4E83-86E9-FD0A3C5CECCE.jpeg

6CE1E2DE-42E9-4058-B935-7EC2832B5239.jpeg

Suddenly we weren’t hungry anymore ~ we were too excited to think about food! We were stowaways on a Pirate Cruise! And we could see Hook and Smee leading the procession of the other “pirates” who would be joining us.

8FECC5B7-7757-49E3-A5A9-279F50A54B53.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
That sundae looks awesome EXCEPT for the stupid nuts on top!!! Why do they think that nuts enhance a perfectly delicious sundae?! :eek:

I, too, just want creamy ice cream and I am, also, not a cone fan!! In a dish, please!!
@MinnieM123 and @littleroo now added to Team Creamy Smooth!

All caught up and have a blast reading about your fabulous trip. The view off of your balcony is perfect.
We loved our view. Thanks for joining in!

fractal

After lunch we walked past Stormalong Bay and did a quick glance to see if @fractal ‘s family was there. We then went inside the Yacht Club ~ not to stalk the Fractal family but to check out the newly-opened dining/shopping area.

View attachment 240134

View attachment 240135

View attachment 240136

View attachment 240137
Yacht Club was sorely lacking a quick serve spot and this is a very nice addition.

On the other hand....
Gonna miss your breakfast buffet, Captain’s Grille. :(
View attachment 240132

View attachment 240133

Missed you by a day - we were at Animal Kingdom, the next day was our pool day. :(

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The “pirate” families followed Hook and Smee down the plank (aka dock) and then boarded either the left boat or the right boat (the one Em and I were on.) I assume the boats were pre-assigned and that our boat was not “sold out.” The gathering place for the cruise was in a Ballroom in the Contemporary where there were snacks and a meet and greet. (I know this from reading other TRs.)

7B9AB10A-DE13-403F-B53F-313CAA7D7323.jpeg

E5A7B698-0DF4-4581-A5D1-3637867DB218.jpeg

Hook and Smee do not board the boats. Instead each boat has a personal Pirate to serve as host. Ours was named Patch (though I suspect this might be the universal name of any Pirate emcee.)

Sorry this pic of Patch is so dark.
7A779E1A-0464-496A-8F42-8E2FD6B4FD14.jpeg

Patch kept us entertained by singing songs, telling jokes and interacting with the rest of us “crew” as our boat slowly cruised the waters of Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. He began by teaching us the Pirate “arrrrgh” and how to hold our hand in the shape of a Pirate Hook. Then he went row by row asking each family where they were from. As our boat pulled away from the dock, Patch began to sing the first of two Pirate songs and encouraged us to join along.

We were so giddy with laughter you would have thought we’d been drinking.
1680CF13-B75D-4335-B430-D9E38764B877.jpeg

Next he asked if anyone was celebrating a birthday (there was) and we all sang the Birthday Song. The fact that no couple was celebrating an anniversary did not deter Patch from inquiring which couple onboard had been married the longest. Nineteen years was the winner (sheesh, where was Woody when I needed him?) and that couple was asked to come to the front of the boat and slow dance while Patch sang “Kiss the Girl.” (On second thought I’m glad Woody was not with me!)

Then came the jokes. Patch would ask a question and then wait to see if anyone would answer before delivering the punchline.

What is a pirate’s favorite restaurant?
Arrrrby’s
Who is a pirate’s favorite Star Wars character?
Arrr2D2
What kind of socks does a pirate prefer?
Arrrgyle
What is a pirate’s favorite movie?
Booty and the Beast (This one was rated PG!)
What is a pirate’s favorite branch of the military?
Most of the boat excitedly cried out, “Arrrmy!” “No!!!” scolded Patch. “It’s the Navy! We’re pirates!!”

Before the boat cast anchor in front of the MK, Patch launched into his last song, “A Whale of a Tale” and substituted one line with “You lose a hand, you’re hooked for life!” :hilarious:

B088D20E-F437-404B-A2C4-8329E3BDF49E.jpeg

89F6207E-BFC6-466A-9E49-0D210033C8E1.jpeg

In just a few moments the powerful chords of the Happily Ever After soundtrack would reverberate throughout the boat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom