NO Primeval Whirl for you!

jonnyc

Yep. The entire "Dino-Rama" is a terrible waste of space. Nothing with less Disney-style in entire WDW.

They have a better spinning ride at Alton Towers over here in the UK. But the theming is still not brilliant.

I think what makes it worse is that is next to the terrfic Dinosaur, the theming of which shows it up completely.

Rob562

I think what makes it worse is that is next to the terrfic Dinosaur, the theming of which shows it up completely.

Not that I'm defending it (because I dislike all of Dinorama intensely), but the theming on Primeval Whirl is actually intended to be a parody of Dinosaur... The various elements and dinosaurs you encounter along the way mimic what you see on Dinosaur pretty closely.

-Rob

WickedQueen22

I wonder if its to install more safety stuff since the last accident.

That was what I was thinking, especially after reading the wikipedia article about incidents at WDW. Disney was fined a few times for safety violations involving the park employees death at PW.

Philo

They have a better spinning ride at Alton Towers over here in the UK. But the theming is still not brilliant.

Bad theming maybe (it does feel like it's just been put where they had room - at least they added a few props around the immediate area but it is still a fantastic ride. Much, much better than Primevil Whirl IMO.

Sadly the theming all over Alton Towers is going downhill. They did a great job with rides like hex, Nemesis and the haunted house (although the laser refurb ruined the theming a bit) and they have tried with the recent pirate addition but it doesn't feel like much effort has been put into it.

jakeman

I know that most of you guys don't like the area but I think that it is one of the most story rich areas of the resort.

If you take the time to learn the story, then the theming is perfect.

RSoxNo1

I know that most of you guys don't like the area but I think that it is one of the most story rich areas of the resort.

Yeah, if only they spent as much time on making the area appealing as they did on the story. I'm well aware of it, and it is a very good story. The problem is, the area itself isn't very interesting. I feel that I would like it better if Primeval Whirl is replaced with more kiddy rides, and have that area be entirely for kids.

Ideally though, I'd like to see the entire concept replaced by the more serious DinoLand (eliminating the USA) from it, with the rest of the park separate by continents (Europe between Africa and Asia, Nemo as part of a smaller Australia section, and Camp Minnie Mickey as a North America section)

Ausdaddy

Yeah, if only they spent as much time on making the area appealing as they did on the story. I'm well aware of it, and it is a very good story. The problem is, the area itself isn't very interesting. I feel that I would like it better if Primeval Whirl is replaced with more kiddy rides, and have that area be entirely for kids.

Well, I'm more opposed to Triceratop Spin than Primeval Whirl. I enjoy the Whirl, but we already have enough Dumbo-type rides in the parks. My kids love it, though. :lol: Not sure that I would really want a "kids" area of the park. Most attractions in AK are good for kids, so I'm not sure that really makes sense. I just told my kids that PW would be down while we were there and they were bummed.

MouseearsDeb

DS7 will be so upset!

In 2005 he was definitely too short. In 2006 he met the mark at the beginning of the que but the CM at the loading area used 'her' measuring stick and he was a 'hair' too short. :mad: He was sooo dissappointed. :( So he is now more than tall enough to ride and it's going to be rehab'd while we're there in Oct. Best that I don't even mention the ride to him again lest he gets down about it. Guess I'll have to start working on him to try Everest. :dazzle:

donvincenzo

Along those lines, Lou Mongello, on his podcast, The WDW Radio Show, had a segment on the story of DinoLand USA, including a great amount of time spent on explaining Chester and Hester's. I believe it was Show #19, from June 17, 2007. Worth checking out (I do listen to his show every week)

Not trying to necessary defend the area, but as jakeman said, if you understood the story, perhaps you wouldn't hate the area as much. Listening to that segment helped me get it a little better....

Rob562

Along those lines, Lou Mongello, on his podcast, The WDW Radio Show, had a segment on the story of DinoLand USA, including a great amount of time spent on explaining Chester and Hester's. I believe it was Show #19, from June 17, 2007. Worth checking out (I do listen to his show every week)

Not trying to necessary defend the area, but as jakeman said, if you understood the story, perhaps you wouldn't hate the area as much. Listening to that segment helped me get it a little better....

I love the backstory for the *original* Dinoland, how it explained the existence of the dig site, the "home base" that is Restaurantosaurus, the Dino Institute and even Chester & Hester's store (I felt a little kitch was just fine with the area). When the park first opened they even had Streetmosphere "paleontology grad students" to help with the storyline.

And I agree that Dinoland has some of the most coherent and well-executed backstories in all of WDW. It definitely shows if you take the time to read the bulletin boards across from the dig site playground entrance or the various things throughout Restaurantosaurus.

But it's when they decided to expand on the Chester & Hester part of the backstory that they went down a path that I don't agree with. While the execution of the story is spot-on, I just don't think it was a very good idea of a story in the first place....

So (in my opinion) keep Dinoland as what was there originally, get rid of the Dinorana addition...

-Rob

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I can sympathise with you. The "enemy" (that be the Mrs) loves this ride, yet refuses to ride everest :brick:

oh I was hopinh they were shutting primeval whirl down for good. What a waste of space.

I know many don't like the carnival theming of Chester and Hester's, but I really like Primeval Whirl. There is something just simple about it that I'd like it anywhere. I guess because it's at Disney, people don't seem to like it because it doesn't fit most "Disney Theming" :shrug:

I'll be sad to not ride it this year on our vacation in October, however, there is always next trip!

While many "purists" like Enigma wish all of C&H would disappear....if you judge from crowds and ridership, it is a popular place. There is a niche for "moderate" coasters, and this one seems to fit the bill, just like Triceratops Spin is always full.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom