Trip Report No parks, no problem! - Completed

Hello everyone!

It's been quite the spring season. Our normal lives have been disrupted, but we are hanging in there as best we can.

What's happening with us:
  • We've been working from home since mid-March. We're slowly returning to work.
  • Our daughter graduated high school and participated in a drive-thru graduation ceremony.
  • Our April and September cruises were cancelled.
  • We did alright with our toilet paper supply. Two squares per person.
We have many trips planned, starting in September (fingers-crossed) with Disneyland. We extended our trip when our September cruise out of Vancouver was cancelled. We can't travel in July and August, so our only option before the fall is June. Yes, this June.

Let's get down to business (and defeat...the Huns!):

Who: Myself and @lostpro9het
20191020_165116_2.jpg

What: A resort-only stay
Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village
When: June 25 - 29, 2020
Why: WE NEED A VACATION, that's why

We've been following the Disney developments for a while. We saw a unique opportunity to use our points for a resort-only stay. We've been throwing around the idea of this type of stay, but never acted on it. We're ok with the parks not being open and dining being limited.

A lot of thought went into this trip. We're flying, so I had to change our flight to MCO. We needed a car because I'm not sure 100% about DME (it was offered when I called DVC, but not taking that chance), so I rented from National (we like the ability to just go pick out our car without visiting the counter) and we plan to pick up our beverages and snacks on the way. We discussed the pros/cons of DVC resorts. We had originally booked for Beach Club Villas to use Stormalong Bay, but reports indicated only DVC pools will be open. I had to call DVC to change the reservation and the wait times are long. Kidani has one of the best DVC pools. Also, according to the list of cast members recalled, the pool at Kidani will be open, but with no bar service, hence the grocery store side trip.

We have one dining reservation so far, Homecomin', and I'm waiting for resort dining to open up for reservations. We will try to eat at Il Mulino as well if open.

So here we are, a DVC resort-only stay, no parks, and limited dining. I'm super-excited!

Last edited:

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Update on dining:

Looks like the Swan and Dolphin will not be open until July, so that nixes our plans for Il Mulino *sad trombone*.

However, Sanaa, Beaches and Cream, and The Wave will be open and we are probably going to make a stop for lunch at The Polite Pig. I do have a back-up reservation at Terralina Crafted Italian using Opentable, but that will probably be canceled. I like seeing restaurants on Opentable that you can book at Disney instead of booking through Disney. The cancellation policy is a lot more forgiving.

So, in the meantime,
giphy.gif

*me waiting for dining reservations to open*

ZoneOfTheEnder

Update on dining:

Looks like the Swan and Dolphin will not be open until July, so that nixes our plans for Il Mulino *sad trombone*.

However, Sanaa, Beaches and Cream, and The Wave will be open and we are probably going to make a stop for lunch at The Polite Pig. I do have a back-up reservation at Terralina Crafted Italian using Opentable, but that will probably be canceled. I like seeing restaurants on Opentable that you can book at Disney instead of booking through Disney. The cancellation policy is a lot more forgiving.

So, in the meantime,
giphy.gif

*me waiting for dining reservations to open*
Please let us know if the Sanaa Bar is open. It is one of our favs.
Very sad that Il Mulino won’t be open for you.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Please let us know if the Sanaa Bar is open. It is one of our favs.
Very sad that Il Mulino won’t be open for you.

I'm pretty sure it will be open, but will report back.

Oh man I had the exact same dates planned for June at AK -Kidani ! We ended up canceling though because of the quarantine issues coming from NY :(

That stinks! We could've met up!

slipperalwaysfits

I do have a back-up reservation at Terralina Crafted Italian using Opentable, but that will probably be canceled. I like seeing restaurants on Opentable that you can book at Disney instead of booking through Disney. Th

Are most DisneySprings restuarants on Open Table? I'll have to check for our fall trip?! @Doc Disney I hope you make it back to the parks this year!!

ELeigh

Looking forward to hearing all about it! I Am considering keeping our DVC rental for September at AKL with very limited park time and I am very interested to see how it goes for you guys-sounds like a great vacation
We ended up canceling though because of the quarantine issues coming from NY :(
Sorry to hijack-But I am really hoping they lift the restrictions on the tristate sooner rather than later 🤞

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Following along. We will be at SSR and OKW mid-July and look forward to hearing how things are around the property in general. Glad you have a positive outlook on it! Have fun.

We booked Boathouse and City Works at Disney Springs via OpenTable yesterday. Also got Raglan Road with MDE. Also looking forward to resort dining reservations opening up!

lostpro9het

Following along. We will be at SSR and OKW mid-July and look forward to hearing how things are around the property in general. Glad you have a positive outlook on it! Have fun.

We booked Boathouse and City Works at Disney Springs via OpenTable yesterday. Also got Raglan Road with MDE. Also looking forward to resort dining reservations opening up!
We added an extra Homecomin the first night because Art Smith just announced they will be selling togo jugs of moonshine! We talked about City Works because the tap list looks impressive but I haven’t heard/seen enough about the food yet. FYI, Terralina has $5 togo drafts and 1/2 priced wines between 4-6!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We added an extra Homecomin the first night because Art Smith just announced they will be selling togo jugs of moonshine! We talked about City Works because the tap list looks impressive but I haven’t heard/seen enough about the food yet. FYI, Terralina has $5 togo drafts and 1/2 priced wines between 4-6!

$5 togo drafts! That speaks directly to my soul.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom