No more steam trains? (rumor)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am still mad about this. If true. I have not been placated by passing time.

Also,

LIGHTS OF WINTER FOREVER!!!

Do not forget people.

Voxel

President of Progress City
even my four year old can tell the difference between a steam whistle and a diesel horn. That whistle carries all across the Seven Seas Lagoon. The distinctive steam whistle and "chuffing" are those iconic sounds of Disney, I will be heartbroken if they disappear.
I hate to pop your bubble but you can use a "steam whistle" with any compressed air source to replicate an old fashion sounds. *Source I have a whistle from a 1918 steam locomotive that I will hook up to a air compressor sometimes to annoy the neighbors.

CDavid

I hate to pop your bubble but you can use a "steam whistle" with any compressed air source to replicate an old fashion sounds. *Source I have a whistle from a 1918 steam locomotive that I will hook up to a air compressor sometimes to annoy the neighbors.

I once saw a steam locomotive whistle advertised which could be installed in an automobile, though I think it was electronically reproduced.

Also,

LIGHTS OF WINTER FOREVER!!!

Do not forget people.

And SpectroMagic.
And Future World.

The list goes on...

Voxel

There is NOTHING like a steam engine, I've built a couple small static steam engines and I have a bunch of Wilesco model steam engines even the tiny ones have that wonderful 'steam smell'
I will agree with this. I grew up in a Railroad Museum and had the opportunity to learn how to operate a diesel locomotive and a Steam locomotive (And electric trolleys which are the most fun to operate to honest). Diesels are straight forward and operate themselves for the most part. Nothing like powering up a Steam locomotive over a 4 hour process to be the fear of god in your eyes. You truly realize how much is power is there as you start up a steam locomotive. They are alive is the only way of stating it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I HAVE NO INFORMATION THE FOLLOWING IS PURE SPECULATION

She MAY be at the East Broad Top Railroad which uses the same gauge rail, This is a possibility if they are doing shakedown testing as EBT also has a complete machine shop with narrow gauge tooling and since they OPERATE a narrow gauge railroad they are in a better position to correct any operational faults as well as 'stress test' the Lilly Belle in service.

Website
http://www.febt.org/

KYWDW

I HAVE NO INFORMATION THE FOLLOWING IS PURE SPECULATION

She MAY be at the East Broad Top Railroad which uses the same gauge rail, This is a possibility if they are doing shakedown testing as EBT also has a complete machine shop with narrow gauge tooling and since they OPERATE a narrow gauge railroad they are in a better position to correct any operational faults as well as 'stress test' the Lilly Belle in service.

Website
http://www.febt.org/
I thought they were closed?

CDavid

....and safer.....and they'll still go chug chug and whoo whoo :)

How do you think a diesel locomotive is safer than a steam locomotive?

And what model of diesel goes "chug chug"? Please tell me you can tell the difference between a horn and a whistle... :facepalm:

The East Broad Top Railroad and Coal company leased the facilities to operate a tourist railroad but the facilities are actually owned by the FEBT.

Somehow I've never made it there (or Cass Scenic, in West Virginia), but I've wanted to see both.

I once saw a steam locomotive whistle advertised which could be installed in an automobile, though I think it was electronically reproduced.

And SpectroMagic.
And Future World.

The list goes on...

Losing true steam locomotives would be awful. However, losing SpectroMagic isn't even close to losing steam locomotives. SpectroMagic wasn't even the original night time parade. It was MSEP.

lazyboy97o

....and safer.....and they'll still go chug chug and whoo whoo :)
Um.. No, they do not. The 'chug chug' sound is specifically a result of how the engine operates. Go ride the Wildlife Express at Disney's Animal Kingdom and there is no 'chug chug' sound because that is not how those engines operate.

montyz81

I can tell you this was indeed looked at about a year ago because of concerns regarding the longevity of the current fleet (because of issues with Lilly)..

It was deemed feasible, both financially and otherwise, but more recently it's been more focus on improving maintenance and care of the existing 3 (plus lillys refurb)... and on that point.. Lilly Bell won't be gone much longer ;)[/QUOTE
I can tell you this was indeed looked at about a year ago because of concerns regarding the longevity of the current fleet (because of issues with Lilly)..

It was deemed feasible, both financially and otherwise, but more recently it's been more focus on improving maintenance and care of the existing 3 (plus lillys refurb)... and on that point.. Lilly Bell won't be gone much longer ;)
is she still in Pennsylvania?

Voxel

How do you think a diesel locomotive is safer than a steam locomotive?

And what model of diesel goes "chug chug"? Please tell me you can tell the difference between a horn and a whistle... :facepalm:

Somehow I've never made it there (or Cass Scenic, in West Virginia), but I've wanted to see both.
I pray tell that this is sarcasm, because I really don't want to go into the discussion of how a steam locomotive is a controlled bomb.. And I have seen a diesel go chug chug. That noise is caused by the intake of air to the firebox and other component and the release of air through piston. This could be replicate with a diesel if done right and for the right price.

raymusiccity

Um.. No, they do not. The 'chug chug' sound is specifically a result of how the engine operates. Go ride the Wildlife Express at Disney's Animal Kingdom and there is no 'chug chug' sound because that is not how those engines operate.

We had steam engines awhile ago at Opryland USA. They converted one of the engines to run on diesel instead of steam. No one could tell the difference when either of them chugged by..... And they both were able to use their air powered whistles. :)

Voxel

We had steam engines awhile ago at Opryland USA. They converted one of the engines to run on diesel instead of steam. No one could tell the difference when either of them chugged by..... And they both were able to use their air powered whistles. :)
Was this a full engine conversion or just conversion of the heating elements of the boiler.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Was this a full engine conversion or just conversion of the heating elements of the boiler.

Rachel at Opryland was a 0-4-0T Steam Locomotive, Elizabeth was built as a Diesel Hydraulic (Like HKDL) in fact she looks exactly like the HKDL locomotives so they may be from the same builder. If you look at pictures there is no vapor seen around Elizabeth at any time.

Elizabeth is currently at Six Flags - Georgia on the dead track due to hydraulic system failure.

As any limey can tell you Diesel Hydraulic locomotives are not all that reliable as the Warship classes and the Type 52's proved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom