No more steam trains? (rumor)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
This would indeed be a shame. I do WDRR grand circle tour a lot. It's at the top of my list when first getting to MK on each trip, if I get into town before 7PM (or when they do the last run). Not sure it could be the same experience without the steam power, those sights and sounds are part of the whole charm.

Exactly . . .

Voxel

President of Progress City
I hope this isn't so but I do know there is a shortage of engineers who can actually properly hand steam locomotives. I got the chance to learn how to operate one when my father worked at a rail museum. It is no cake walk to get those things running and maintained. Its sad really, but I know in recent years many museums have had to stop running the steam locomotives because of the lack of proper engineers.

WDI 1998

The boilers for the Steam Trains at WDW are fired by biodiesel and have been for quite some time. I learned this on the Behind the Steam tour. I don't think they would seriously replace the Steam Trains because they are so Iconic and one of Walt's original wishes for the parks.

wdw71fan

I can tell you this was indeed looked at about a year ago because of concerns regarding the longevity of the current fleet (because of issues with Lilly)..

It was deemed feasible, both financially and otherwise, but more recently it's been more focus on improving maintenance and care of the existing 3 (plus lillys refurb)... and on that point.. Lilly Bell won't be gone much longer ;)

jdmdisney99

I can tell you this was indeed looked at about a year ago because of concerns regarding the longevity of the current fleet (because of issues with Lilly)..

It was deemed feasible, both financially and otherwise, but more recently it's been more focus on improving maintenance and care of the existing 3 (plus lillys refurb)... and on that point.. Lilly Bell won't be gone much longer ;)
Good news.

bfox1183

I'm surprised at how many people didn't know the trains have been running on bio-diesel for some time now... But lets kick the knowledge up a notch with the fact they are using the waste oil from the deep fryers around the parks to make the bio-diesel. Lets face it, its a smart move on their part to do this since they will not have a problem sustaining their fuel reserves for some time and they dont have to pay to have the oil disposed of.

Side note: Wasn't there talk of converting all of the buses to bio-diesel for the same reason?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm surprised at how many people didn't know the trains have been running on bio-diesel for some time now... But lets kick the knowledge up a notch with the fact they are using the waste oil from the deep fryers around the parks to make the bio-diesel. Lets face it, its a smart move on their part to do this since they will not have a problem sustaining their fuel reserves for some time and they dont have to pay to have the oil disposed of.

Side note: Wasn't there talk of converting all of the buses to bio-diesel for the same reason?

I believe the buses run on a bio-dino diesel mix, A lot of the injector pumps don't like pure biodiesel Really old ones and really new Diesels run fine on pure bio-diesel the ones in the middle may have some issues.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I hope this isn't so but I do know there is a shortage of engineers who can actually properly hand steam locomotives. I got the chance to learn how to operate one when my father worked at a rail museum. It is no cake walk to get those things running and maintained. Its sad really, but I know in recent years many museums have had to stop running the steam locomotives because of the lack of proper engineers.

See 'How to boot a Steam Engine' a personal favorite of mine.

http://www.sdrm.org/faqs/hostling.html

Voxel

President of Progress City
Yup...steam is no problem. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Do they use Disney magic to heat it enough to turn water into steam?
No they use bio-diesel which we already stated to head the water. Bio-diesel anywhere from 30% - 50% of that coals environmental impact. It all comes done to which bi-product are used and where these products origin from. (Soy oil from some countries burn cleaner they soy from others strangle enough)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom