No more Great Movie Ride?

WeLComeHomE OKW

Since i currently work at the GMR (come see me before i leave on the 19th!), i feel like i should put in my two cents.

Right now, the vehicles themselves are in absolutely horrible shape. They breakdown constantly every day and have to be constantly fixed. So, that is a huge problem.

Some of the scenes just dont do what they should anymore. The aliens sometime dont work, so we have to just leave them out. THe vehicle from gangster works on and off every day, and other things just are kinda off. It is still a great show, and we do the best that we can.

But, if this ride does not see a major overhaul soon...well, it wont be pretty. I know many of you might not agree with me, but i actually think it would help this ride if it moved away from "let me tour you through the history of disney/mgm movies" and moved towards actually being a part of the movies and have the major movies lead you from one scene to the next in some kind of epic adventure. i think they could get rid of the mgm movies, and just create a huge ride/show with actors, special effects, and all sorts of modern technology.

if they give this ride the refurbishment it deserves...well, i think it could have a very positive future. I look forward to my last week and a half on the job, and i cant wait to come back in the future and see how its changed.

And, to be totally honest, i dont think a refurb is coming before 2011. They have too much lined up for the park leading up to that.

TestTrack

Just a question. What exactly have they changed the Alien scene?
I've seen it now. Just what was it like before they changed it?

I have seen it many times over the years with the most recent being 2003. I seem to remember more fog surrounding the alien and I don't know if it still comes down at you like it use to.

tirian

Since i currently work at the GMR (come see me before i leave on the 19th!), i feel like i should put in my two cents.

Right now, the vehicles themselves are in absolutely horrible shape. They breakdown constantly every day and have to be constantly fixed. So, that is a huge problem.

Some of the scenes just dont do what they should anymore. The aliens sometime dont work, so we have to just leave them out. THe vehicle from gangster works on and off every day, and other things just are kinda off. It is still a great show, and we do the best that we can.

But, if this ride does not see a major overhaul soon...well, it wont be pretty. I know many of you might not agree with me, but i actually think it would help this ride if it moved away from "let me tour you through the history of disney/mgm movies" and moved towards actually being a part of the movies and have the major movies lead you from one scene to the next in some kind of epic adventure. i think they could get rid of the mgm movies, and just create a huge ride/show with actors, special effects, and all sorts of modern technology.

if they give this ride the refurbishment it deserves...well, i think it could have a very positive future. I look forward to my last week and a half on the job, and i cant wait to come back in the future and see how its changed.

And, to be totally honest, i dont think a refurb is coming before 2011. They have too much lined up for the park leading up to that.

MGM created some of the greatest films of all time. The only MGM films in the GMR are the Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, and...um...I think that's it (correct me if I'm wrong). Almost everything else is RKO, Disney, Paramount, or Warner Brothers.

The attraction definitely needs an overhaul, though!

Beauty_Belle

A fabulous idea! :sohappy:

With recent AA upgrades, it would be fantastic to see the stars tour us through the movies (especially before some pass on). Plus, some of the tour guides do not seem as into his or her job as others which really sets the tone of the ride. I've seem some fantastic ones, and I've seen others that could put you to sleep. It really is a great ride though and just needs a little TLC.

ImaYoyo

Didn't read through all 5 pages to see if someone posted this, but:

What will happen to The Great Movie Ride attraction – as it features many MGM-Studios movies?
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]
Disney’s Hollywood Studios will continue to showcase the "classic" Hollywood along with the "contemporary" Hollywood. The Great Movie Ride is one of the great, original attractions featuring favorite scenes from classic motion pictures and Hollywood moments.​
[/FONT]

RiversideBunny

We really like the GMR. It's one of the 'must do's' each time.
I hope they do refurbish it and make it more interesting and exciting but, at the same time, keep the current flavor of going through movie history.

One pet peeve: Please redo the scenes in the queing area. If you have to wait there more than five minutes you see the same movie trailers over and over and over....

This is a great ride and it is the focal point of a park that is dedicated to the movies.

:) :)

bgraham34

I tell you if the Wizard of Oz was ever removed I would be really upset with that. It would be cool to see a Pirates scene in it though, but Lord of the Rings would be really sweet.

ag2000

MGM created some of the greatest films of all time. The only MGM films in the GMR are the Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, and...um...I think that's it (correct me if I'm wrong). Almost everything else is RKO, Disney, Paramount, or Warner Brothers.

The attraction definitely needs an overhaul, though!

don't forget casablanca!

erasure fan1

The reason I love them so much is because, like the Muppets would as AA's, for all intents and purposes they are "real", i.e. what was in the movies is exactly what is in front of you, unlike AA's of animated characters or flesh and blood people.

As to what should be added, that's a whole other post. My one fantasy, though, would be a kick-butt Star Wars scene. A CLASSIC Star Wars scene, say the escape from the Death Star as they board the Falcon. Imagine seeing Obi-Wan and Darth fighting, while Han, Leia, and Luke are retreating. My God, a Carrie Fisher AA and my decision would be made : I would absolutely have to move to Orlando, LOL.

AEfx
The 2 things I want to see, muppets and starwars. Using AAs of the wicked witch quality would be fantastic. From the muppets use the gun fight scene from the end of the 1st movie with the giant animal.:lol: Your idea for star wars is great. I would also like to see Luke fighting Vader while the emperor sits looking on. I hope the MGM name change means updates and new stuff are a comin! I would love this ride to be one of the changes.

comics101

I'm gonna ruffle some feathers here, but I think that the Hat should stay and the Theatre should go. The Hat is the icon of the Studios: it is an easily recognized Disney icon. Not to mention that Disney cannot take pictures of it, and they're not about to give up the ability to take shots of Hollywood Boulevard. (Last we knew, this was the case.) Unlike the Wand, the Hat did not ruin an icon because the Theatre never was the icon. If the GMR goes down, I hope they update the outside as well as the inside.

As I said above, I feel the theatre should be redone with a new decor, bc IMO, The hat is just tacky and cheap looking. If they could make the theatre the icon, maybe incorperating the hat into the design, I feel it would fit much better with the Hollywood BLVD Theme, and could be a fantastic icon.

RiversideBunny

I don't have any problem with the hat except:

1. It's in the place where the Christmas tree for the Studios used to go.

2. As large and prominent as the hat is, you expect something more important to be under it than a souvenir sales counter.

It's a neat hat.

Also, I don't have any emotional attachement to a theatre that looks like a Chinese restaurant. The Great Movie Ride is super and that's what counts. The outside of the building is secondary.

:) :)

ClasikRok

I don't know how the rest of you might feel about it...but what if they re-did GMR to show the history of live action movies by Disney. Disney has a long tradition of great and fun live action features begining with Treasure Island and even continuing today.

We could see Davey Crockett, 20,000 Leagues and maybe even more current movies like Narnia.

I guess this wouldn't be quite as known or recognizable as some of the movies currently featured in the ride...but I would like some of the actual DISNEY movies featured in the ride.

but that's just one man's opinion...:p

TestTrack

I don't know how the rest of you might feel about it...but what if they re-did GMR to show the history of live action movies by Disney. Disney has a long tradition of great and fun live action features begining with Treasure Island and even continuing today.

We could see Davey Crockett, 20,000 Leagues and maybe even more current movies like Narnia.

I guess this wouldn't be quite as known or recognizable as some of the movies currently featured in the ride...but I would like some of the actual DISNEY movies featured in the ride.

I wouldn't like that at all. I like how the ride is not one big advertisement for Disney movies. It's a tribute to the silver screen of yesterday and today.

DABIGCHEEZ

And don't forget the future Disney classic.......Underdog!! :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom