No more Fois Gras served in WDW restaurants..

The Mom

Premium Member
This is a total thread drift but maybe you can answer this question for me. If you are a vegetable person maybe you can help me understand.

Why do they make veggie burgers that imitate meat burgers? If you want veggies then eat veggies but why try to transform them to imitate something that you do not want to eat?

My daughter would not eat them for that reason. Well, and she thought they tasted horrible when she tried one. ;) She was not vegetarian out of concern for any specific animal, but just didn't like the texture of meat, so a veggie burger was just as repulsive to her.

All of my nieces who were vegetarian, along with my daughter, became omnivores after living in poor countries for a term during college, and also visiting others. Making an individual choice not to eat certain foods (unless part of the whole culture, and society makes the choice for you) is a luxury that most of the world can't enjoy.

The Incredible Schmulk

Or perhaps we evolved enough intellectually to realize that we no longer need to subjugate and slaughter the rest of the world's species in order to survive. There are many more options availble now that we are no longer hunter/gatherers.

From reading some of your posts I'm sure you are going to call me out as one of the PC police or something but seriously if we are so advanced as a society and species do we really need to stake our survival on the flesh of other animals. There are healthier options available.

I honestly don't mind what people eat but I just don't agree that it our inherent right as a dominant species to do what we like with the rest of the world.

It has nothing to do with intellectualism. Equating a person's intelligence with their dietary preferences is ludicrous and has no basis in fact or proper discussion. Foie gras is a delicious food, and one that people enjoy eating. I enjoy eating all parts of the duck, as it is a tasty animal. If I should choose to eat it, a dish that is completely legal and being produced in many places all over the world for human consumption, that is my prerogative and the social responsibility of no else.

You, I or anyone else have no right to dictate the likes and dislikes of another human being, just as none of us have the right to never be offended. Sometimes people are going to do things that we disagree with that are perfectly normal in the course of acceptable societal behavior. In these cases, we need to suck it up and just deal with it instead of trying to play nanny to the world. Often these actions are misguided, but even when they are for what we perceive as the greater good, they do nothing but hinder our freedom to be us.

The tl;dr: It's sad that something I might have ordered in a restaurant that I want to visit is no longer on the menu for no other reason than some people I don't know nor will ever meet don't want me to have it.

psukardi

Bingo!

I get some people want to live a life of pine-nuts, tofu, kale and the like. But please, don't take away my lamb chops and bacon.

njDizFan

This is a total thread drift but maybe you can answer this question for me. If you are a vegetable person maybe you can help me understand.

Why do they make veggie burgers that imitate meat burgers? If you want veggies then eat veggies but why try to transform them to imitate something that you do not want to eat?
I hear that question a lot and I can answer it in several different ways:
1) a lot of people who are vegetarians were not born that way. The mass-marketed vegetrarian food makes it an easier transition from meat to veggie using a similar flavor profile.
2) Many people(myself included) enjoy the flavor of meat and it's derivatives(smoke etc.) We just desire something that can be enjoyed without the harming of animals. It's not un-vegetarian to enjoy the flavor.
3). Some people prefer to eat vegetarian for purely health reasons
4) If you want to use a recipe that requires meat you have a ready to go substitute.
5) Even in today's age, vegetarians have a stigma with the rest of society. Meat shaped vegetarian food allows them to "fit in" say at the family BBQ.
6) and finally, it is sometimes difficult to have a balanced diet with the required protien and vitamins with what is available at a regular grocery store. There are half a billion people in the world that eat vegetarian but it has been that way in their societies' for millenia. But as an American with a busy lifestyle you need something quick and ready made. Right now the options available are sometimes limited. To have a well balanced vegetarian diet it takes time and effort in the cooking process to keep it different and interesting to your palet. These burgers and hot dogs facilitate a quick and easy dining option.

njDizFan

It has nothing to do with intellectualism. Equating a person's intelligence with their dietary preferences is ludicrous and has no basis in fact or proper discussion. Foie gras is a delicious food, and one that people enjoy eating. I enjoy eating all parts of the duck, as it is a tasty animal. If I should choose to eat it, a dish that is completely legal and being produced in many places all over the world for human consumption, that is my prerogative and the social responsibility of no else.

You, I or anyone else have no right to dictate the likes and dislikes of another human being, just as none of us have the right to never be offended. Sometimes people are going to do things that we disagree with that are perfectly normal in the course of acceptable societal behavior. In these cases, we need to suck it up and just deal with it instead of trying to play nanny to the world. Often these actions are misguided, but even when they are for what we perceive as the greater good, they do nothing but hinder our freedom to be us.

The tl;dr: It's sad that something I might have ordered in a restaurant that I want to visit is no longer on the menu for no other reason than some people I don't know nor will ever meet don't want me to have it.
I think I made it clear in my post that I hold no ill will against people and their eating habits. People can chose to eat whatever they like and I would not begin to dictate their choices. I would also state that IQ and diet does not necessarily have any correlation(although some of the smartest humans to ever live were vegetarians i.e Einstein and Da Vinci) what I was stating was that a a more civilized society we do not NEED to eat other animals. There are many alternatives that are better for you, society and the environment.

And I'm a little confused about what you meant by "hinder our freedom to be us". There are many laws that are in place that dissallow our primal urges> I'm not saying government or society should make eating meat illegal but I also believe that there are a lot of personal freedoms we do not have that should be allowed.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member

I would guess that Disney have stopped serving Fois Gras simply because it wasn't profitable. They may try to spin it as doing something that is more socially acceptable but I can't help but believe that it was much more motivated by the bottom line. They were serving it and not enough people were shelling out the money to buy it.

s&k'smom

For me is was just a personal choice, a health choice, lifestyle and I guess political, well my politics anyway. My family thinks I'm nuts but I think they always have. I am a firm believer in animal rights but say my brother isn't (he shoots the gophers in his back yard). We just don't discuss it. Kinda like my sister very conservative and we absolutely just don't go near certain subjects (I live here in Mass and I'm very liberal).

njDizFan

For me is was just a personal choice, a health choice, lifestyle and I guess political, well my politics anyway. My family thinks I'm nuts but I think they always have. I am a firm believer in animal rights but say my brother isn't (he shoots the gophers in his back yard). We just don't discuss it. Kinda like my sister very conservative and we absolutely just don't go near certain subjects (I live here in Mass and I'm very liberal).
Very true. I'm not sure how diet options has somehow become political. Kind of like the environment. These topics are very touchy subjects and both seemed to be scewed heavily in opposite directions and politcal affiliations.

hellowonderland

Oh, this is a touchy subject. I'm happy to jump right in ;) As a vegetarian, I'm pleased with this decision. BUT I see all slaughter of animals as torture and so although this is a step in the right direction, I think it's a band aid on a bullet hole in terms of how much it actually helps animals.

Claiming that somehow you're persecuted if you can't consume Foie Gras whenever you feel like it? First world problems!

hellowonderland

I get asked this question a lot.

The first reason is that I didn't give up meat because I didn't like the taste. I gave it up for ethical reasons. I couldn't rationalize loving animals so much and yet eating them. Doesn't mean I don't still stare longingly at salami, lol.

The second reason is that I grew up eating meat and many of my positive memories are of family dinners where we consumed turkey and chicken etc. So I associate that type of food with comfort and eating veggie burgers or 'chick'n', brings back that feeling without actually eating meat.

But all in all, I prefer whole foods (the kale and tofu mentioned above), or better alternatives like tempeh or beans, rather than processed imitations.

Anyway, back to the topic. Foie Gras. I would imagine they decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I certainly don't think Disney is made up of passionate animal rights activists, so I'm guessing they figured it wasn't worth the hate mail.

PhilharMagician

Fios Gras is quite yummy, but there is really something really abusive about the way that they force feed (Gavage) the duck or goose in order to fatten the animal and it's liver. There has to be a more humane process so the animal does not have to suffer. Now I also love a good lobster which you boil live or clams @ oysters raw on the half shell where they were basically alive as you eat them which could be considered cruel. :rolleyes:

psukardi

Oh, this is a touchy subject. I'm happy to jump right in ;) As a vegetarian, I'm pleased with this decision. BUT I see all slaughter of animals as torture and so although this is a step in the right direction, I think it's a band aid on a bullet hole in terms of how much it actually helps animals.

Claiming that somehow you're persecuted if you can't consume Foie Gras whenever you feel like it? First world problems!

I'll take it you don't wear leather shoes then or leather belts?

wilkeliza

Everything we talk about on this thread are "First world problems". Even the reason why you choose to go vegetarian can be seen as a "first world problem". Remember we all live somewhere with access to clean water, an indoor bath room, electricity and internet. We have the luxury to choose what we want to eat and can go to a market and pick it up. If you lived in a poor country you wouldn't have the ability to be choosing with what you ate so you would take what you received. Also you wouldn't have all the vitamins and most likely not all the plant and vegetables needed to subliment a purely vegetarian diet so your health would be poorer for trying to avoid any meat you were served.

I am not a fan of fois gras because I don't like the texture but instead of removing it they could have just gone to one of the several farms that ethically sources their fois gras. It doesn't taste as great as the traditional route but it is still the same taste profile. I can assure you it was probably a money thing and not an animal activist thing.

ddbowdoin

This might be old news, but V&A called me today to find out my parties preferences. When I informed them that none of us wanted Fois Gras (because its a hideous & Cruel practice), they informed me that its now longer served on WDW property!

Good for you Disney, good for you!

i.gif
animals are domesticated to be eaten...

hellowonderland

Everything we talk about on this thread are "First world problems". Even the reason why you choose to go vegetarian can be seen as a "first world problem". Remember we all live somewhere with access to clean water, an indoor bath room, electricity and internet. We have the luxury to choose what we want to eat and can go to a market and pick it up. If you lived in a poor country you wouldn't have the ability to be choosing with what you ate so you would take what you received. Also you wouldn't have all the vitamins and most likely not all the plant and vegetables needed to subliment a purely vegetarian diet so your health would be poorer for trying to avoid any meat you were served.

I am not a fan of fois gras because I don't like the texture but instead of removing it they could have just gone to one of the several farms that ethically sources their fois gras. It doesn't taste as great as the traditional route but it is still the same taste profile. I can assure you it was probably a money thing and not an animal activist thing.
1) Most countries don't eat even half the meat we do. "Poor Countries" aren't chowing down on steaks or Mickey D's hamburgers every night, and regardless, we eat meat in a very wasteful, energy-sucking way. Even my carnivore husband and father agree with me on this point.
2) Just because what we talk about are "first world problems" doesn't mean it isn't worth pointing it out. And I don't see how my choosing not to eat meat is the same as complaining about not getting to eat Foie Gras while visiting Disney World. If I complained that they didn't serve tofu at every restaurant then maybe we'd have a good comparison.
3) I don't believe meat can be sourced ethically, since I'm against the killing of animals, whether we're nice to them while we do it or not.
4) I said above I thought it was a "can't be bothered with the hate mail" rather than an animal activist stance.

ddbowdoin

I hear that question a lot and I can answer it in several different ways:
1) a lot of people who are vegetarians were not born that way. The mass-marketed vegetrarian food makes it an easier transition from meat to veggie using a similar flavor profile.
2) Many people(myself included) enjoy the flavor of meat and it's derivatives(smoke etc.) We just desire something that can be enjoyed without the harming of animals. It's not un-vegetarian to enjoy the flavor.
3). Some people prefer to eat vegetarian for purely health reasons
4) If you want to use a recipe that requires meat you have a ready to go substitute.
5) Even in today's age, vegetarians have a stigma with the rest of society. Meat shaped vegetarian food allows them to "fit in" say at the family BBQ.
6) and finally, it is sometimes difficult to have a balanced diet with the required protien and vitamins with what is available at a regular grocery store. There are half a billion people in the world that eat vegetarian but it has been that way in their societies' for millenia. But as an American with a busy lifestyle you need something quick and ready made. Right now the options available are sometimes limited. To have a well balanced vegetarian diet it takes time and effort in the cooking process to keep it different and interesting to your palet. These burgers and hot dogs facilitate a quick and easy dining option.

I can understand the destruction of natural, wild animals... like eating bears or something

but poultry, pork, beef... domesticated over thousands of years for one reason and one reason only, to be eaten

wilkeliza

I can understand the destruction of natural, wild animals... like eating bears or something

but poultry, pork, beef... domesticated over thousands of years for one reason and one reason only, to be eaten

Deer is a wild animal and it is eaten quite often all around the world. It isn't about being domesticated or not it is simple evolution. We are not vegetarians by digestion or by design. Yes our brains allow us to have that option as we can fight our natural urges but there are some proteins and vitamins found in meat that then must be derived by non-natural sources if you choose a strict vegan diet. I'm not one to try and change anyone's opinions but I worked for the ASPCA and still volunteer quite often but I also grew up on a farm and was educated through my schools FFA program on how to ethically raise animals and ethically source fruits and vegetables for consumption. I believe eating meat is just apart of life. Sharks don't stop and think about the fish they eat and lions don't stop to second guess if they killed that zebra ethically. The real problem with humans is that we created technology and that has put us so far to the top of the evolution chain that we are now throwing off the natural system. We are now over populating and taking out crucial parts of the evolution chain. Something one day will restore that balance be it another black plaque or a food shortage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom