No more decorations on room windows?

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
What about people at the campgound? If its a cleaning issue, it shouldn't be a problem, as people decorate their own rvs/campers. However if its an electrical or safety issue... that's a huge thing as some of those people put Clark Griswold to shame.

I absolutely adore driving through the Campground at Christmastime...

Wow, that's awesome! I bet people go all out to decorate their campers. Another reason WDW rocks at Christmas. Have you seen people decorate them at other times like Halloween or Easter?

WildLodgeFan

Wow, that's awesome! I bet people go all out to decorate their campers. Another reason WDW rocks at Christmas. Have you seen people decorate them at other times like Halloween or Easter?

I have seen pictures in a trip report on it with campground that have inflatable Halloween pictures. Because I was wanting to get psyched for our upcoming trip which includes our first visit to MNSSHP, I ran a search for it and read a bunch of reports. I believe it might have been Sissa's report that had a picture. I was thinking of doing something for the windows, because it's my daughter's 16th Birthday and we want to make it special, so when I call the resort next week for the reminder about the birthday on our reservations, I'm going to inquire about decorating.

They have special packages that sell to decorate on the Disney cruises and when I seen those last November, I wondered then why they didn't do that at the resorts.

WhatJaneSays

What about people at the campgound? If its a cleaning issue, it shouldn't be a problem, as people decorate their own rvs/campers. However if its an electrical or safety issue... that's a huge thing as some of those people put Clark Griswold to shame.

I absolutely adore driving through the Campground at Christmastime...

That drive is a big tradition in my family!

Back when we had our little RV we lit up our site like it was ... well, you know, Christmas. Hn, I wonder if I have any of those old home movies of me as a kid pluging in the lights? God, I really miss that RV now ... not the gas fill ups though! :p

I really hope Disney continues to let people decorate.

We decorate our window and room for everything ... Christmas, Halloween, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Food and Wine Festival, Flower and Garden Festival, Festival of the Masters ... As a matter of fact I can't remember the last time we DIDN'T at least decorate the front window. Our last trip we had two connected rooms for the Pirate and Princess Party. In one window we had the Medieval Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy and Pluto plush set we got from the Disney story with a pink frilly drape and in the other we had a PotC battle with action figures and ships with a pirate flag background.

It's a big deal for us to decorate and I think it adds a little magic to everyones stay. I'd have lots of sad little faces to deal with (and big ones, too) if we were told we could no longer do it.

mickeysaver

I found these posted on another messageboard. It's no freakin' wonder that they are cracking down. The use of window markers is over the top and not cleaning up after yourself is inexcusable.

My DH, DS (7), and I were decorating our window at ASMo this August when we were approached by a CM that looked like management. I think he was in the area working on something else & happened to see us drawing on our window. He very politely asked if the markers would wash off & we told him they were Crayola Washable Window Markers. He was fine with that & we weren't charged a fee after check out. We took the clings with us, but did leave the drawings

The Crayola markers are very transparent & come off without much effort--just regular window cleaning takes it off.

100_0432.jpg

I made a ton of decorations for my resort room window for my most recent trip. I had lots of Mickey heads from HD, some words and shapes I cut with my Cricut (scrapbooking machine), and some washable chalk pens. I decorated the window as planned and it looked great. We were with a big group and everyone loved it. The second day we returned to our room and found a message on the phone. We were told that we would have to take down all the decorations or we would be charged $25 a day! :confused3 Has this ever happened to anyone? This was my first time decorating and I was very excited to do it! It was depressing to take it all down.

Here is a pic of the window
IMG_1380.jpg

And a close up of the bottom of it
IMG_1383.jpg

When we go, we do put up window clings, on occasion. We always take window cleaner along with us to clean up after ourselves. Heck, sometimes the windows are so icky, we have to clean before we cling. :animwink: I am not happy to find that we might get into trouble for decorating our window in December, but we will take stuff and try, if we can't do it so be it, but it's a bit of a joy killer.

tiggertime32408

I always go for my birthday in Dec and we decorate the room and the windows and ourselves!! It's part of the MAGIC. There is also a company that will come decorate your room for you. :xmas: My extended family is going this year and we are staying in a villa and in a couple of rooms. You can bet we will be decorating - hope we are still allowed!:lookaroun

bugsbunny

My wife goes out of her way to decorate the room when we go every year at Xmas time. In fact, she makes sure she packs an extension cord since the closest outlet is normally in at the little tabe near the window but not normally close enough to plug the lights in. Yeah, the need to decorate is that bad that she knows that level of detail about the room when we get there. ;)

As for a fire or safety hazard, its almost a non factor. Xmas lights aren't like the olden days where your house burnt to the ground, etc. I can't remember when, but Xmas lights have been manufactured with an inline fuse for as long as I can remember. And realisticaly, you can't put enough on one outlet to overload it or string enough inline together to overload without being a complete an utter moron. You literally have to try harder then you can ever imagine to overload it and the reality is that the fuse will blow if you have too many inline strung together. I'm a 15+ year firefighter with a ton of schooling plus involvements with fire scene investigations with fire marshals.

But I can tell you that at Xmas time when I have stayed at Pop Century, you can walk around the pool just by the lights of the window decorations. It would seem 80% of the rooms have decorations and lights on the windows. Its pretty cool.

And Ft. Wilderness....WOW!!! There are MILLION dollar RVs there and some of these people stay for a MONTH OR MORE! They actually have people come in and decorate their sites for them on Xmas and Halloween. Mickey dressed up light Santa FIFTY FEET UP IN THE TREES all lit up. Neat!

The Mom

Premium Member
I think WDW didn't mind when it was only lights (as long as no tape residue was left behind) and a tree in the window. Even the window clings are not a problem (although they can leave a mark, as can the little suction cup holders if left on too long) I can completely understand their not wanting people to write on the glass!

Can you imagine how much extra work that causes during competitions?

WDWRLD

I dont see any issue with clings or suction cups as they leave very little mark which is really just a smudge. Most times the windows when I check in could have used a little attention with the windex anyways, but again clings and suction cups are no big deal. As far as markers, glass has pores and those markers will seep into those pores and it dosent really matter how much cleaning you do it cant really be completely removed.
As far as overloading the circut......does Clark Griswald and how he had plugged in his 20,000 imported Italian twinkle lights come into mind??? How about Ralphy's dad in A Christmas Story......well its just one too many....

FreedomWrangler

I was excited to see all of the Halloween decorations in rooms and at campsites in Ft. Wilderness last October. I had never seen that before; it was my first time back in 10 years.

I enjoyed the 'plus'd' room windows and sites. Just like Walt did with the rides.

What is the name of the Lone Ranger's nephew's horse?
Ah... Victor! His name is Victor.
How the hell did you know that?
Everybody knows that!

WhatJaneSays

I think the window markers are over the line.

We use the penny sized silicone-like sticky dots if we're going to attach something to the window. They have great hold but they come off easy, also they are reusable and don't leave any marks on the glass.

TWyn

I think the window markers are over the line.

We use the penny sized silicone-like sticky dots if we're going to attach something to the window. They have great hold but they come off easy, also they are reusable and don't leave any marks on the glass.

Where do you find these? I'm looking for something like this to hang up my Mickey heads.

goofntink

The problem is the use of permanent markers,grease pencils/window crayons,glass markers,poster board paint,and worse paint pens,by guests to write on the windows and mirrors.We have lost count of how many lites of glass,and mirrors we have replaced because Mousekeeping damaged the glass trying to remove the grafitti.To give you all an idea of what a guest who thinks it is not a big deal to do this costs Disney.We replaced a piece of glass at Pop 2 weeks ago because the guest had used paint pens on the glass,the charge for the glass and service call was over $300.00 dollars.To replace a mirror in one of the rooms is about $175.00. So a $25.00 cleaning fee is not out of line in my opinion.If you don't feel it is fair then bring your own glass cleaner,razor blades,and paint thinner,and clean up after yourself,or better yet don't do it at all.

Phonedave

The problem is the use of permanent markers,grease pencils/window crayons,glass markers,poster board paint,and worse paint pens,by guests to write on the windows and mirrors.We have lost count of how many lites of glass,and mirrors we have replaced because Mousekeeping damaged the glass trying to remove the grafitti.To give you all an idea of what a guest who thinks it is not a big deal to do this costs Disney.We replaced a piece of glass at Pop 2 weeks ago because the guest had used paint pens on the glass,the charge for the glass and service call was over $300.00 dollars.To replace a mirror in one of the rooms is about $175.00. So a $25.00 cleaning fee is not out of line in my opinion.If you don't feel it is fair then bring your own glass cleaner,razor blades,and paint thinner,and clean up after yourself,or better yet don't do it at all.

And, in addition to the direct costs you qoute, the room is also not rentable on that day. It can cause a loss of revenue and depending on if the resort is booked, bad feelings for a guest if they have to be bumped.

Really, some of the window decoration are just downright ugly. I'm sorry, but taping some mickey heads to a window and scribbling between them does not thrill me. I have seen some windows that do look really nice, but others just look bad.

And Chistmas lights can go on fire. Never underestimate the stupidy of people. They will string multiple lights together, they will wrap lights in gauze curtains because it looks nice.

According to a 2007 National Fire Prevention Association study

Holiday lights and other decorative lighting with line voltage were involved in an estimated
average of 240 home structure fires per year in this same period. These fires caused an
average of four civilian deaths, 14 civilian injuries, and $7.5 million in direct property
damage per year. Thirty-five percent occurred in December and 13% were in January.​
One-fifth (22%) of these fires began with Christmas trees.

Now, of course the fact that 1/5 of them started on a tree also brings into play another factor, 80% of them did not start with a tree.

Heck we had a large (>Million $) house here burn down (to the foundation) because a low voltage outdoor light started a fire in the garden mulch.

Anyway, I allways assumed that anybody who decorated, took them down, and left the window in the same condition they found it. It seems otherwise. If people are going to be like that, I can see WDW charging a cleaning fee

-dave

TWyn

Most craft stores sell glue dots. Look in the scrapbooking section.

Just make sure you take them off the windows when you are done.

-dave

Thank you. :) After decorating, I'm always very careful about leaving the window the exact way I found it.

Tammy

Emberlene

So is the consensus that we will be charged a fee if we leave behind a mess? As long as we clean up after ourselves then we will be allowed to decorate?

My family and I are always very careful about cleaning up after our decorating. We go to MNSSHP every October and stay at the campground. We decorate our cabins and our golf carts (battery operated lights). We're going on the 9th this year and would hate to know we couldn't decorate.

urbanvegan

I think this is fair. Beyond the safety and cleaning issues - it simply looks tacky.

If a major reason to stay at a Disney Resort is the décor and the fantasy of being part of another world, why would you want to ruin the illusion by having windows all over looking like dorm rooms? Especially at Holiday time, when Disney's decorating team goes all out to celebrate the season.

Inside the room is another story; but having all the decorated windows everywhere is seriously bad show.

VT GAL

Does anyone have any updates about this?

I am staying at Pop on Thursday, and would love to decorate (nothing crazy, jus some window clings) for Halloween.

I want to make sure that I am following the rules!

Thanks!

Shelley

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom