No more dark ride through Space Mountain?

zengoth

Original Poster
apologies if this has been threaded recently...
rode people mover last night (5/15) for the first time in a few months and was disheartened to discover the ride through Space Mountain is now fully lit! I am hoping it is work lights (but it looks pretty permanent). The whole effect of coasting through Space Mountain is now totally lost - you can't even see through the dark plexiglas. All you get is a view of the ancient ductwork.
Anyone know if this is something to make the ride less "intense" for those afraid of the dark? (btw - space mountain is not under construction, so it can't be that)

mm52200

The ride might of broken down or had technical difficulties causing the work lights to be on. Happens all the time so nothing too much out of the ordinary.

Harry456

if the last post did not hint to the answer. They refurb the Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover while refurb Space Mountain. In the refurb, they darken the portion of the ride inside Space Mountain. This was due to limit light pollution and guest peeking inside.

Sorry dude.....

djkidkaz

Here now and rode SM Friday and there is a ton of light coming through now. Looks like it's coming from TTA. You could make out the track in front of you and around you. My wife even commented about it. Somethings up...

NewfieFan

The ride might of broken down or had technical difficulties causing the work lights to be on. Happens all the time so nothing too much out of the ordinary.

No, the OP has a valid question here! I rode on May 7th and the work lights were on in Space Mountain tunnel of the TTA. I had been on the TTA a couple of days before that and they were off. It was quite dark (which I don't mind) and there was new lights that I could make out in Space Mountain (it was all these star lights and you could just make out the track outline of Space Mountain - very cool). Anyways, we rode the TTA again on the 7th just to see this new effect and all the lights were on. I assumed it was b/c the TTA had stopped a couple of times and the emergency lights (or whatever they are) were still on. I asked a CM after I got off the ride and she told me that they were instructed to leave the lights on permanently but was not given the reason.

I also asked about the new lights I could make out inside Space Mountain and they told me it was a new effect... not sure how new but I certainly didn't notice them back in Sept. '10 and we rode the TTA multiple times during that trip!

I have to say having the lights on completely ruins the ride and I can only imagine how the Space Mountain fans feel. You can see the black walls and it is not pretty in there!

TTATraveler

No, the OP has a valid question here! I rode on May 7th and the work lights were on in Space Mountain tunnel of the TTA. I had been on the TTA a couple of days before that and they were off. It was quite dark (which I don't mind) and there was new lights that I could make out in Space Mountain (it was all these star lights and you could just make out the track outline of Space Mountain - very cool). Anyways, we rode the TTA again on the 7th just to see this new effect and all the lights were on. I assumed it was b/c the TTA had stopped a couple of times and the emergency lights (or whatever they are) were still on. I asked a CM after I got off the ride and she told me that they were instructed to leave the lights on permanently but was not given the reason.

I also asked about the new lights I could make out inside Space Mountain and they told me it was a new effect... not sure how new but I certainly didn't notice them back in Sept. '10 and we rode the TTA multiple times during that trip!

I have to say having the lights on completely ruins the ride and I can only imagine how the Space Mountain fans feel. You can see the black walls and it is not pretty in there!

I also rode the TTA on May 7th, and the TTA stopped twice while I was on it. I figured the work lights were on because of the emergency stops. If the lights are being kept on, on purpose, I am not sure what genius in Disney management thinks this is acceptable.

Skyway

Any chance there's a problem or inadequacy with the infra-red security cameras? Short of some sort of upgrade work, there's no need for lights except security.

NewfieFan

I also rode the TTA on May 7th, and the TTA stopped twice while I was on it. I figured the work lights were on because of the emergency stops. If the lights are being kept on, on purpose, I am not sure what genius in Disney management thinks this is acceptable.

Ha! We were probably on it at the same time! It stopped twice kind of back to back while I was on the ride, then when I went through SM the work lights/emergency lights were on. I, like yourself, assumed it was due to the stops... but apparently not! They were on the whole day according to the CM I spoke to. There are many other reports of the same thing on other Disney sites.

Why would the lights have to be left on... it doesn't make sense!?!

Rob562

I don't understand what we're facepalming about? :shrug:

I think it's because the OP wasn't clear as to *what* had its lights on, Space Mountain or the TTA. Reading it, you could conceivably think they were talking about the worklights being on in Space Mountain, which is a fairly common occurrance when the ride E-stops and not like that all the time, and thus a facepalm.

But after further discussion, it's been determined they were talking about the TTA's worklights, and not SM's.

-Rob

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We were at MK on 5/8 and Space Mountain was 101 while we were on the Peoplemover and I *finally* got to see SM with the lights on!!! We rode the peoplemover 2x so I could get photos and video. When the ride was up later that evening, both the work lights for the Peoplemover & SM (obviously) were off.

We rode it again on 5/11 and the Peoplemover lights were on :( I said something to the CM at the end of Space Mountain saying it kinda ruins the effect and he said they called over to the Peoplemover to shut the lights off but were told that they were supposed to be left on.

So who knows...any Tomorrowland attractions CMs lurking?? :shrug:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ok, assuming for a minute that the OP was talking about peoplemover being lit up and not all of space mountain....

This does make sense to me, because since SM was upgraded and the queue enclosed, the peoplemover is almost COMPLETELY black for that section of the ride. I could understand how kids could freak out, or other things could happen.

Perhaps they've temporarily put lights on for that area until they come up with a better solution.

Scuttle

Ok, assuming for a minute that the OP was talking about peoplemover being lit up and not all of space mountain....

This does make sense to me, because since SM was upgraded and the queue enclosed, the peoplemover is almost COMPLETELY black for that section of the ride. I could understand how kids could freak out, or other things could happen.

Perhaps they've temporarily put lights on for that area until they come up with a better solution.

I was thinking the same thing.

zengoth

Original Poster
sorry i am clearly unclear

yes, lights on during the peoplemover experience. large-ish work lights on either side of track shining up.
yes, lights lit on the peoplemover track for the entire length of the journey through space mountain, including the space mountain "launch pad" and past the plexiglas wall.

both space mountain and peoplemover fully operational

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
apologies if this has been threaded recently...
rode people mover last night (5/15) for the first time in a few months and was disheartened to discover the ride through Space Mountain is now fully lit! I am hoping it is work lights (but it looks pretty permanent). The whole effect of coasting through Space Mountain is now totally lost - you can't even see through the dark plexiglas. All you get is a view of the ancient ductwork.
Anyone know if this is something to make the ride less "intense" for those afraid of the dark? (btw - space mountain is not under construction, so it can't be that)

This is what I was face-palming about. :lookaroun

rct247

This past week was when they started to stay on all the time. I don't know the exact reason, but was told it was done by maintenance. Operations cast members (including managers) can't even turn them off if they want to. A CM working said the switch to turn them on and off even for ride stops was disconnected so they always stay on. To be clear they are the normal maintenance lights that turn on and off during ride stops, evacuations, and for nightly maintenance, so the lights themselves are not new or temporary. Also as far as I know, they are not left on for complaints about being too intense or for further construction inside Space Mountain.

Not sure when it will return to normal or what is up, but trust me, guests have noticed and are disappointed.

powlessfamily4

I am sure there was a lawsuit filed somewhere because the dark part of the peoplemove ride made little Johnny wet his pants and forget who he was. :ROFLOL:

NewfieFan

Actually, it's not as black in there now. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts there are some sort of new lighting effects (not sure how new) inside SM. Before you couldn't see a hand in front of your face but now you can make out these small (almost star like) lights in SM and you can even see the outline of the SM track (still dark but there is something to look at now). I thought it was quite cool and an improvement over the previous completely dark ride through. (This was prior to the work lights being turned on of course!)

This past week was when they started to stay on all the time. I don't know the exact reason, but was told it was done by maintenance. Operations cast members (including managers) can't even turn them off if they want to. A CM working said the switch to turn them on and off even for ride stops was disconnected so they always stay on. To be clear they are the normal maintenance lights that turn on and off during ride stops, evacuations, and for nightly maintenance, so the lights themselves are not new or temporary. Also as far as I know, they are not left on for complaints about being too intense or for further construction inside Space Mountain.

Not sure when it will return to normal or what is up, but trust me, guests have noticed and are disappointed.

This is so odd!?! Why would lights suddenly have to be left on!?!
Thanks for the info, though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom