No LL for international guest ?

nickys

Premium Member
OK, a little search shows that the laws probably referred to in that article apply mainly to social media platforms.

The really interesting part is that it’s an EU law….

nickys

Premium Member
This is a bizarre decision and poor customer service.

It's also bad business? A benefit of advance Genie+ purchases is the guest pays for it before knowing whether or not it's truly needed on a given day.

I heard a US based travel agent can do the bookings on your behalf as well. Not sure if that's accurate.
As far as US travel agencies go, I guess some might offer the service for a fee perhaps.

Of course a US based friend could also do it.

Not that we should have to jump through hoops.

nickys

Premium Member
This is about advertising, tracking, reporting scams, fraud and abuse etc. This would not affect buying LLMPs, unless of course Disney is intending to use that process to track you, profile you and fling ads and spam at you without your consent, and use dark practices to manipulate you into buying things. And...the UK is not in the EU.
Maybe Disney want to branch out. 😉

Ayla

OK, a little search shows that the laws probably referred to in that article apply mainly to social media platforms.

The really interesting part is that it’s an EU law….
It applies to app stores, too, which is why Disney is affected (like I posted in my previous post).

nickys

Premium Member
It applies to app stores, too, which is why Disney is affected (like I posted in my previous post).
Only to massive ones, the initial size was something like used by 10% of the EU’s population.

And we’re not in the EU.

Wendy Pleakley

As far as US travel agencies go, I guess some might offer the service for a fee perhaps.

Of course a US based friend could also do it.

Not that we should have to jump through hoops.

I can't imagine a travel agent charging for this. Before online bookings were a thing, my agent did all my dining reservations for example.

I imagine many will do the Fastpass booking regardless, for those customers who don't understand it or just don't want to.

They make enough on commission that they can certainly do these bookings for any international customers.

nickys

Premium Member
I can't imagine a travel agent charging for this. Before online bookings were a thing, my agent did all my dining reservations for example.

I imagine many will do the Fastpass booking regardless, for those customers who don't understand it or just don't want to.

They make enough on commission that they can certainly do these bookings for any international customers.
Yes but that would be for international guests booking with them.

EU consumer laws are far superior so I don’t see that ever becoming the norm. Plus the majority of UK guests stay offsite and our tickets are better value.

I was meaning someone would end up offering a paid booking service for the MPLLs/ ILLs.

Ayla

Only to massive ones, the initial size was something like used by 10% of the EU’s population.

And we’re not in the EU.
Google and Apple's app stores aren't massive? 😂

Nope, you aren't in the EU (as we are repeatedly reminded), but the UK is subject to the 2023 OSA, which is very similar. I assume that instead of Disney having to jump through all the hoops of the DSA, OSA, GDPR and DORA, they just make it unavailable to everyone outside the US and Canada.

nickys

Premium Member

Nope, you aren't in the EU (as we are repeatedly reminded), but the UK is subject to the 2023 OSA, which is very similar. I assume that instead of Disney having to jump through all the hoops of the DSA, OSA, GDPR and DORA, they just make it unavailable to everyone outside the US and Canada.

GDPR is a non issue - or else Disney were non-compliant for years. Pretty sure DORA is for financial services, ie: banks etc, not financial purchases.

But the DSA / OSA … they apply to the app stores surely because people might be buying apps through them. Not to all apps just because they appear on the app stores. At least that’s how I understood it. In any case @osian already said that it’s all about what they do with your data - and Disney’s app doesn’t carry ads.

I think these are red herrings to be honest. Or a good excuse for an over abundance of caution. I suspect @lentesta might have the most likely explanation, that he posted in the other thread.

Either way, hopefully they’ll do the obvious thing and just add it to the website.

lazyboy97o

Disney isn’t running the Google and Apple app stores.

The UK might have some legacy EU legislation but places like Brazil do not.

Mark Dunne

Original Poster
Yes Disney can put in place any policy they want and fairness be da$&@d. But as I see it it’s about consistency in policy. What difference does it make where the guest is coming from. They are on property. What if Dis decided all guests west of the Mississippi couldn’t get on the perk? What if all guests with no kids were charged more for dining because seats weren’t filled at tables. It’s a foolish inconsistent policy.
I'm sure it will be ok, hoping that all the LL don't sell out to give us a chance when we land, the first thing ill be doing off the aircraft is hoping to get through border patrol ok, look after mum, get to the Mears pick up, off to ASM, unload the cases, prob go for something to eat, then off to bed, I'm bringing my mum over( 75 years young ) , she's never been to WDW before, she hasn't been abroad for over 25 years, I was so surprised when she said a big YES in joining us, we were so pleased, and she likes to have plans in place, mum was a teacher so that comes with the job i suppose to be organized , and i thought '' great i can plan ahead with no worries' esp the attractions, mum cant stand for to long these days, so the thought of longish queues were a bit daunting for her , 'then i saw the International guest omitted from it, i was really gutted, still am to be honest, just hope they see sense in this, who knows these days , they change so much. :(

JIMINYCR

I'm sure it will be ok, hoping that all the LL don't sell out to give us a chance when we land, the first thing ill be doing off the aircraft is hoping to get through border patrol ok, look after mum, get to the Mears pick up, off to ASM, unload the cases, prob go for something to eat, then off to bed, I'm bringing my mum over( 75 years young ) , she's never been to WDW before, she hasn't been abroad for over 25 years, I was so surprised when she said a big YES in joining us, we were so pleased, and she likes to have plans in place, mum was a teacher so that comes with the job i suppose to be organized , and i thought '' great i can plan ahead with no worries' esp the attractions, mum cant stand for to long these days, so the thought of longish queues were a bit daunting for her , 'then i saw the International guest omitted from it, i was really gutted, still am to be honest, just hope they see sense in this, who knows these days , they change so much. :(
So nice of you to invite your mother along. Look through guide books ( the unofficial Disney guide book is the most comprehensive) and on line descriptions of the shows and attractions so she can see what might suit her likes and what she would get the most enjoyment from. Also get an idea of where rest rooms are situated and spots you can sit and rest. Find comfortable spots for her to wait for you if you want to do things she cant handle. ( my DW likes sitting in a shady spot and people watch when DS and I want to do something she cant join in on)

Mark Dunne

Original Poster
So nice of you to invite your mother along. Look through guide books ( the unofficial Disney guide book is the most comprehensive) and on line descriptions of the shows and attractions so she can see what might suit her likes and what she would get the most enjoyment from. Also get an idea of where rest rooms are situated and spots you can sit and rest. Find comfortable spots for her to wait for you if you want to do things she cant handle. ( my DW likes sitting in a shady spot and people watch when DS and I want to do something she cant join in on)
Thank you for those words, well the thing is my wife and I have been many times, but this year ( don’t laugh) is the first year she’s without old cats, which she wouldn’t leave on there own for years as they were old and generally I’ll most times, now they’ve passed on, we thought ‘’ right let’s go ask mum if she’d like to go to WDW’’ and her answer was, ‘’ o yes why not, it’d be exiting ‘’ so can’t wait to show her castle, shows, frozen singalong , Indiana jones , we’re Disney mad my wife and I, absolutely can’t wait ! Thanks again 👍

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Currently in my room at the Wilderness Lodge. Went to check today’s Genie+ price and got this.

IMG_3775.jpeg

Way to go, Disney.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
UPDATE - Seems to be fixed now. But we know what the error message will look like when the new system is rolled out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom