No "free dinning" rumor

BIGCAT1978

Original Poster
i heard a rumor that the free dinning plan would not be extended this fall. what does everyone think? will disney extend the free dinning plan past 9/29/2012?

NoChesterHester

Love you Lee and understand why you hate it... But for those of us with a young family free dining really drops the cost of a trip.

We really enjoy it.

lebeau

I often decry the evils of the free dining discount. But since I am traveling in early Nov, I'm hoping for one final offering. Then, kill it.

JWG

Love you Lee and understand why you hate it... But for those of us with a young family free dining really drops the cost of a trip.

We really enjoy it.

Does it? I have never paid rack rate for a room at Disney ever. I haven't done the math to see if a room discount or free dining is better. A 40% room discount on moderate and deluxe resorts has to be a substantial savings as well. This may not be true with the lesser discounts on value rooms.

As a DVC member it's definitely not worth it to give up using points and the discount they bring to pay rack rate out of pocket. I can pay for dining and come out ahead.

I, in general, hate free dining and the DDP. Can't get a reservation, staff is simply trying to turn the table as quickly as possible and the food is the same everywhere.

G00fyDad

I know that many hate the DDP let alone the fact that it is free a lot of the time. But for my family having the Free DDP is a blessing. It saves us $1350+ each trip. I will welcome it with open arms every year. There have even been the few occasions that we changed our minds the night before and called to get a new spot and it was no problem. We've even walked into a restaurant to get a walk in table and were given one within 10 minutes. I am sure that those who argue against the DDP (free or not) are accurate in their statements. I just have never had the same issues. Ever.

BIGCAT1978

Original Poster
disney dinning has been a blessing for us as well. saves us so much money. the first year we used it my wife kept track of all the money we used on snacks (that was when they gave 2 snacks/day for quick service ddp) and we saved over $1500. couldnt believe it!

G00fyDad

I do understand the irritation the DDP causes with others even if I have never experienced the same thing. I know it would get on my last nerve to never be able to get in on a walk in for a table. I'd like to see the DDP reserved tables cut in half. That way there would be room for walk ins as well as DDP.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I, in general, hate free dining and the DDP. Can't get a reservation, staff is simply trying to turn the table as quickly as possible and the food is the same everywhere.

Agree....as someone who "pays" as they go, I've found the service level and food choice (and quality) drop dramatically since the institution of the DDP. On top of that, most menu prices have increased. Restaurant menus (especially in World Showcase) seem to have been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator to satisfy the masses. It's definately getting harder to find a truly memorable meal at the World now. They all used to be special.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No clue.
I hope not. I will celebrate the death of discounted/free dining.
:sohappy:
Free dining has caused the menus selections to be trimmed down and has artificially inflated the pricing on quite a few items. :(

We really enjoy it.

You are just paying for it somewhere else. When free dining is NOT in effect, you can get larger discounts on rooms.

They just move the money around in different ways. They still get your money.

I often decry the evils of the free dining discount. But since I am traveling in early Nov, I'm hoping for one final offering. Then, kill it.

I find this post quite amusing - and I think it displays perfectly how the people who complain about free dining are just the ones who don't/can't benefit from it. Either they belong to DVC, travel at times when Disney doesn't offer it, etc... but the truth is their feelings are 'If I can't benefit from it that discount, I think it shouldn't exist' - BUT, if they can benefit then they hope it's there when they go... and not any other time.

Here's hoping it stays - I think it probably will. Over the last few years free dining for after September wasnt announced until early summer, because my wife and I were watching for it closely so we could book.

Free dining has caused the menus selections to be trimmed down and has artificially inflated the pricing on quite a few items. :(

You are just paying for it somewhere else. When free dining is NOT in effect, you can get larger discounts on rooms.

This is not true, actually. We've crunched the numbers, and for my wife and I free dining saves us substantially more than any discount we've seen on room rates. *I should add, though, that we typically stay in value resorts. Perhaps a 25-35% discount on a deluxe changes things a lot. But for our situation, and Im guessing the person you replied to, it's not close.

G00fyDad

I have done my math and no discount nets as much for us in savings as the Free DDP. True. If it were just a matter of regular DDP and another discount, sure, the other discount may be better. But once all meals are calculated and all rates are factored in the Free DDP discount is far better than any other discount offered to my family.

how do u know we will find out then?

Statistics. http://www.mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html#codetrends :wave:

BIGCAT1978

Original Poster
so u think they will announce it earlier this year, since they announced the free ddp til sept earlier?
we made our reservations this year for last part of sept/ beginning oct. but we really wanna go late oct/early nov.
u think they will have deal then?

wdwfan4ver

i heard a rumor that the free dinning plan would not be extended this fall. what does everyone think? will disney extend the free dinning plan past 9/29/2012?

I think the rumor is false because Disney already is offering the residents of the UK a 2013 free dining package. It wouldn't make any sense to me that UK is having free dining for 2013 if North America doesn't. I expect the free dining package for 2013 for North America to be announced sometime in July or August like last year as a result of the UK having the package.

The free dining is package is for January 1st-March 19th, 2013 & April 7th-December 8th, 2013 for the UK.

Here is my proof: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/04/10/2013-disney-world-free-dining-package-for-uk-residents/

G00fyDad

so u think they will announce it earlier this year, since they announced the free ddp til sept earlier?
we made our reservations this year for last part of sept/ beginning oct. but we really wanna go late oct/early nov.
u think they will have deal then?

Oh, Lord no. I thought you were talking about the Free DDP for Sept/Oct. The extension into Nov/Dec, if it even happens at all, will not likely occur until late July.

I think the rumor is false because Disney already is offering the residents of the UK a 2013 free dining package. The free dining is package is for January 1st-March 19th, 2013 & April 7th-December 8th, 2013 for the UK.

Here is my proof: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/04/10/2013-disney-world-free-dining-package-for-uk-residents/

The UK discounts rarely mean as much to us here in the US. Just because it is that way in the UK does not mean that we will get the same benefit here. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom