No Christmas Parade broadcast in Orlando

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just went to schedule the recording of the WDW Christmas parade on the TiVo and learned that it is not being broadcast in Orlando this year. I double-checked the program listing on the WFTV web site and it isn't there, even at a different time.

Is this something that happens often here? I've only lived here the past 2 years but have been here for Christmas nearly the last 7 years and I don't remember it not being on in the past.

EDIT: Corrected the call letters of the station.

Soarinluvr

It is being shown in orlando its going to be on at 5pm :veryconfu . Why I dont know. But in other cities in FL it will be on at 10 am. Gee orlando is starange

Figment1986

Computer Magic said:
Maybe they don't want the tourist in Orlando staying at the resorts thinking the parade is live.

Then they run over to watch to find out it was taped. :hammer:

Strange... I would love to do that if i owned the station... lol

WFTS Tampa has it on the air starting at 10:00a.m.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
Soarinluvr said:
It is being shown in orlando its going to be on at 5pm :veryconfu . Why I dont know. But in other cities in FL it will be on at 10 am. Gee orlando is starange

Where are you finding it being broadcast at 5PM? I checked the WFTV program guide through Monday and didn't see it at all.

TTATraveler

Very wierd, I thought it was broadcast nationally on ABC affiliates. I guess each affiliate has the option not to broadcast it or broadcast it at a different time.

Michael72688

WFTV is one of the worst ABC affiliates in the nation. We just started seeing Jimmy Kimmel and we still dont get GMA weekend, not like I'd watch but still. I just have to say I'm glad we actually get the parade, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't show it.

daveemtdave

TTATraveler said:
Very wierd, I thought it was broadcast nationally on ABC affiliates. I guess each affiliate has the option not to broadcast it or broadcast it at a different time.

I believe the reason for this is because Christmas is on a Sunday and most stations air religious/church services to meet these requirements. If the service is scheduled for that time, the station can air the parade at another time; they would just have to tape it and air later.

TTATraveler

tampabrad said:
I thought they never aired the parade in the Orlando area. People would figure out it is taped if the weather is different.

I think it is quite obvious it is taped when the sky changes from bright blue to having some clouds to overcast to clear all in one show:D :xmas:

kanepresten

tampabrad said:
I thought they never aired the parade in the Orlando area. People would figure out it is taped if the weather is different.

im pretty sure ppl figure out its taped when they go into the parks on the dec3-5 and see regis and kelly and the christmas parade and all the cameras...

yeah..

AND the fact that this year, disney 411 on disney channel is already showing clips from this years filming... pretty sure they arent trying to hide the fact tht its not live anymore.. i think that cat is out of the bag.

disney doesnt have any connection with the local abc affiliate, except that its abc... the local affiliate has the ability to do what it wants. they HAVE aired the filming at its scheduled time for the past few years, nt sure why this year would be any dif, except for the fact that it is a sunday, and thats usually not a good time for local stations to broadcast affiliated programs. thats usually used for local topic programs... and i think that the parks would actually rather push the affiliate to air it at its proper time, considering the guest busses all have ads in them saying the filming is on abc at 10 am... (chek ur local listing blabla). pretty sure thats another sign tht its not in disney or wdw's hands, but entirely at the control of the ABC affiliate stations manager.

more to that effect... it looks like abc generally bcasts george stephanopoulos sunday mornings at 9am... however, wftv prefers to bcast a local news program at 9am, generally preempting stephanopoulos. wftv airs his show at 11am... ABC has a new episode of steph airing at 9am before the disney parade at 10am on xmas, BUT wftv still has to air it normal sunday morning local show at 9am... which means steph is preempted as usual to 11am... during the planned bcast time of disneys parade.generally, abc doesnt have anything else at that time on sundays, so it works for ABC's schedule byt not wftv, cuz thats when they show steph... hence why they cannot show the disney parade at that time... then of course the rest of the day is the basketball games,so there really wasnt anywhere in teh schedule taht wftv could put either of the shows elsewhere throughout the day, so they effectively cancelled the disney parade... presumably news and sports are deemed more important by the station manager.

the only thing left to do was air the parade on an independent affiliate of wftv, wrdq, channel 26 , action news at the most convenient programming block that day...

peter11435

While Disney owns many of the ABC affiliate stations, they do not own WFTV the Orlando ABC affiliate. The Network (ABC) can cut into affiliate programming for breaking news, however ultimately the local affiliate has the right and ability to override nearly anything from the network. That said no affiliate station manager would choose not to air something that had significant demand in his or her area. For example no ABC affiliate is going to preempt an episode of Lost.

TTATraveler

kanepresten said:
im pretty sure ppl figure out its taped when they go into the parks on the dec3-5 and see regis and kelly and the christmas parade and all the cameras...

yeah..

AND the fact that this year, disney 411 on disney channel is already showing clips from this years filming... pretty sure they arent trying to hide the fact tht its not live anymore.. i think that cat is out of the bag.

disney doesnt have any connection with the local abc affiliate, except that its abc... the local affiliate has the ability to do what it wants. they HAVE aired the filming at its scheduled time for the past few years, nt sure why this year would be any dif, except for the fact that it is a sunday, and thats usually not a good time for local stations to broadcast affiliated programs. thats usually used for local topic programs... and i think that the parks would actually rather push the affiliate to air it at its proper time, considering the guest busses all have ads in them saying the filming is on abc at 10 am... (chek ur local listing blabla). pretty sure thats another sign tht its not in disney or wdw's hands, but entirely at the control of the ABC affiliate stations manager.

more to that effect... it looks like abc generally bcasts george stephanopoulos sunday mornings at 9am... however, wftv prefers to bcast a local news program at 9am, generally preempting stephanopoulos. wftv airs his show at 11am... ABC has a new episode of steph airing at 9am before the disney parade at 10am on xmas, BUT wftv still has to air it normal sunday morning local show at 9am... which means steph is preempted as usual to 11am... during the planned bcast time of disneys parade.generally, abc doesnt have anything else at that time on sundays, so it works for ABC's schedule byt not wftv, cuz thats when they show steph... hence why they cannot show the disney parade at that time... then of course the rest of the day is the basketball games,so there really wasnt anywhere in teh schedule taht wftv could put either of the shows elsewhere throughout the day, so they effectively cancelled the disney parade... presumably news and sports are deemed more important by the station manager.

the only thing left to do was air the parade on an independent affiliate of wftv, wrdq, channel 26 , action news at the most convenient programming block that day...

Thanks for that explanation. Seems to me that a nice gesture would be for WFTV to give its employees a day off from their local new show (especially since it is Christmas) and air the Disney Parade. It is probably is easier said then done though.

Blizz

Ok, here is how it works...

ABC owned stations like WABC in NYC and WPVI here in Philly must show all ABC owned shows (like GMA, Word News Tonight, ABC produced sit-coms...) but has the option to buy syndicated shows either produced by ABC or other studios (example: The Tony Danza show {which I heard wont be renewed by WPVI in Philly next season}).

ABC affilated have the option to all ABC content. They must still air select programming and advertising however they have more options on the rest of the content they program.

In my mind Orlando's broadcast stations are the worst in the country. I have seen high school run stations in the midwest that are better then WESH and WFTV. It is sad because making a good news program doesnt take much effort (and actually at my last seminar I went to with the National Television Academy poked fun at WESH and WFTV and how aweful some of their programming is).

The parade is one of the programs that ABC affilates have the option to air. They might have to pay to air it which could also be another factor. All ABC owned stations to my knowledge have been told to air it, and i dont see why they all wouldnt, it fills a major gap in a lineup on a day when most people dont watch tv.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom