No Cameras on Space Mountain

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sensible not only for the lost phone/hitting other passengers issue, but also because having a bright camera screen on in Space Mountain is particularly disruptive given the dark conditions.
No. Your cell phone screen is showing what it's recording - a dark ride. Even you have the brightness cranked on it, you'd never know if someone was recording a video unless you specifically looked at another car, and even then, you are close to other cars for only split seconds during the ride.

I honestly understand the safety aspect of it, but like every other piece of safety legal wording in this country, this was implemented because someone did something they weren't supposed to. Example - "Do not attempt to consume Tide Pods."

ppete1975

They should ban cameras on all rides...ok, I took a pic on Living with the Land of Christmas decorations. Especially anything dark.

Had a moron two shells over on Little Mermaid taking pictures with flash. WITH FLASH! 1st, that's annoying to everyone else and you are basically saying, I don't know how to take low light pictures with florescent colors. The pics probably came out terribly.
Pirates with bright screens is horrible as an example as well, the land.. you arent hurting anyone

Touchdown

They should ban cameras on all rides...ok, I took a pic on Living with the Land of Christmas decorations. Especially anything dark.

Had a moron two shells over on Little Mermaid taking pictures with flash. WITH FLASH! 1st, that's annoying to everyone else and you are basically saying, I don't know how to take low light pictures with florescent colors. The pics probably came out terribly.
I make it a point to loudly ask them to turn off their flash on Mermaid. Nothing mean just a polite command. On slow moving rides like that it’s just wrong, I do it with fireworks too. Most of the time they have no idea it’s on. Everyone should know you can only take flash pictures during e-stops.

Abs

Not just phones but loose things in general.

We were just there and they were very strict on not wearing a hat on Space Mountain as well. They said it's a new policy. I'm good with it and am okay if it carries to other thrill rides. Could hopefully help with unexpected downtime on rides.

DCLcruiser

Anyone using a flash on a modern smartphone camera these days doesn't know what they are doing.
So true. Here's my basic old iPhone 13 Max Pro.
IMG_3514.jpeg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Not directly camera related but one of the more recent problems on rollercoasters in general is with Apple's new OS/Iphone updates where the sensors actually check to see if you've been in an accident and will automatically call emergency services for you...but people on rollercoasters have been having that happen to them as it mimics the same g-forces, noises etc. of a car crash.

Trauma

I make it a point to loudly ask them to turn off their flash on Mermaid. Nothing mean just a polite command. On slow moving rides like that it’s just wrong, I do it with fireworks too. Most of the time they have no idea it’s on. Everyone should know you can only take flash pictures during e-stops.
I hate mermaid my god.

Every time I’m about to ride, it somehow breaks down.

All I hear for 30 minutes.

“You are about to go UNDER DA SEA”

Drives me nuts.

hismattjesty

Not directly camera related but one of the more recent problems on rollercoasters in general is with Apple's new OS/Iphone updates where the sensors actually check to see if you've been in an accident and will automatically call emergency services for you...but people on rollercoasters have been having that happen to them as it mimics the same g-forces, noises etc. of a car crash.
I can confirm this happened to me Columbus Day weekend at Kings Island. Got off Orion, and had a text notification from the Warren County 911 center. Called back, they asked my location, and the operator asked me if I had just gotten off Orion. I said yes and she explained that Apple phones automatically notify 911, especially when you drop 300 feet at 90mph 😂😂😂! She did thank me for calling back, so EMS could be cancelled.
The next morning, I proceeded to make the same mistake on Diamondback to start the day......

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
There are plenty of videos/images/stories/lawsuits from people getting hit by a flying cellphone on a roller coaster. It's not a pretty sight. A cell phone is a relatively dense/heavy object and the way a coaster rapidly changes direction, it's not very difficult for it to come flying out of someone's hand. If you want a POV of a coaster, there are PLENTY out there on the internet that have been professionally (and safely) filmed that are going to be 100x better than any shaky video you are going to try and film. I'm happy to see this policy being implemented.

DisneyCane

I'm surprised it took this long to happen. Seem like there is quite a risk of dropped objects hitting riders in other trains.
I'm surprised there aren't nets installed under the track wherever it is above other track to mitigate the issue. Even with this rule there is still the risk of something accidentally falling out of a pocket.

DisneyCane

I can confirm this happened to me Columbus Day weekend at Kings Island. Got off Orion, and had a text notification from the Warren County 911 center. Called back, they asked my location, and the operator asked me if I had just gotten off Orion. I said yes and she explained that Apple phones automatically notify 911, especially when you drop 300 feet at 90mph 😂😂😂! She did thank me for calling back, so EMS could be cancelled.
The next morning, I proceeded to make the same mistake on Diamondback to start the day......
Apple really needs to update the software to only enable the alerts when the location is on a roadway. It's simple to implement and will stop wasting 911 dispatcher's time.

ppete1975

There are plenty of videos/images/stories/lawsuits from people getting hit by a flying cellphone on a roller coaster. It's not a pretty sight. A cell phone is a relatively dense/heavy object and the way a coaster rapidly changes direction, it's not very difficult for it to come flying out of someone's hand. If you want a POV of a coaster, there are PLENTY out there on the internet that have been professionally (and safely) filmed that are going to be 100x better than any shaky video you are going to try and film. I'm happy to see this policy being implemented.
and the human face is very susceptible to injury from any impact

JohnD

I believe that may be sarcasm, although not posted in the sarcasm font...

As for MY assessment on why they're finally getting around to restricting cameras, I believe their lawyers heard about how old the track is, and probably warned management that on-ride video of an accident would make it next to impossible to avoid damages in any court case filed in response.

And what, may I ask, is the "sarcasm font"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom