Pre-Trip no boys allowed!

I wasn't going to start this quite yet, but I've reached a point in my planning that I need a bit of advice from the experts. So here I am. By experts, I mean people who go more often than once every 3-5 years and know shortcuts and tricks. @Tuvalu @Darstarr @ajrwdwgirl @riverside I know there are many of you, so I apologize for not naming all of you, but these were the names that came to me off the top of my head because I'm reading your TRs often.

The basics:
Who: My daughter (E) and me. My husband isn't a Disney fan and would rather spend the money on a gaming computer, which he did last Summer and told me I should take E on a trip with just the 2 of us because we have a similar travel style and both LOVE Disney and will get a lot more out of it than he or our son would. So...no boys on this trip. Just us girls. There may be appearances from a few other players, but we're not sure yet. My best friend Shasta might join us for a few days, my cousin C and her daughter L might pop in as well, and we'll be staying a couple nights with my friend D.

When: July27 - July 29th at Universal's Endless Summer Dockside Inn and suites
July 29th and 30th with my friend at her home in Kissimmee
July 31-August 14th at Disney's All-Star Music resort

Why?: Because that was the deal. My husband and A both got gaming computers so E and I get a Disney trip. And E is going to be a senior next year, but didn't want to do a graduation trip because she didn't want to be trying to do her senior projects while also planning a Disney trip, because she's a perfectionist and wants to focus on school. So we're doing a trip to celebrate her senior year!!

Songbird76

Original Poster
Congrats on paying off vaca!!! We've stayed a few times at ASM. I loved the Broadway section but it is pretty far back from Melody Hall. Only 1 bus stop.
I'm kind of torn on whether I should make a more specific request or just leave it at "ground floor room". We've never had a request for a room or for a table granted, and the only thing that's really important is that it's ground floor. But the whole reason for that is mobility issues, so it kind of doesn't help if it's way off in the boondocks.

Songbird76

Original Poster
I forgot! We still need to book behind the seeds and the caring for giants tour, too, but can't do that yet.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm kind of torn on whether I should make a more specific request or just leave it at "ground floor room". We've never had a request for a room or for a table granted, and the only thing that's really important is that it's ground floor. But the whole reason for that is mobility issues, so it kind of doesn't help if it's way off in the boondocks.

If you do online check in and your room is not ground floor as you would like make sure you talk to the CM's at the front desk, or if your room isn't ready when you arrive talk to them at the front desk about getting a ground floor. If they can't give it to you the first day they should be able to do it the next day but with your length of stay you'll want to have a room that suits your needs.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

I’ve read somewhere that you should say why you are making the request - something like "I would like a ground floor room because I have some mobility issues" so that they understand the reason behind the request. That way if they can’t accommodate the exact request they can try for the next best option.

I can‘t recall (I’m pretty sure you mentioned it) why this is necessary - I am sure when we stayed at ASM years ago there were elevators. My DD was only 3 and we had her stroller and I know I didn’t lug it up and down stairs.

Songbird76

Original Poster
If you do online check in and your room is not ground floor as you would like make sure you talk to the CM's at the front desk, or if your room isn't ready when you arrive talk to them at the front desk about getting a ground floor. If they can't give it to you the first day they should be able to do it the next day but with your length of stay you'll want to have a room that suits your needs.
We've never been able to do online check in because we had to pick up our magic bands at the front desk. They don't send stuff to Europe, but now that there are no magic bands, we'll have to get our cards with our tickets linked at the front desk, so we'll have to go there to check in anyway and the CM I talked to when I made the request said if they didn't give us ground floor to ask again. They can't guarantee it, but they will try.

Songbird76

Original Poster
I’ve read somewhere that you should say why you are making the request - something like "I would like a ground floor room because I have some mobility issues" so that they understand the reason behind the request. That way if they can’t accommodate the exact request they can try for the next best option.

I can‘t recall (I’m pretty sure you mentioned it) why this is necessary - I am sure when we stayed at ASM years ago there were elevators. My DD was only 3 and we had her stroller and I know I didn’t lug it up and down stairs.
Yes, I mentioned I have mobility issues and that's why I requested ground floor. If something happens and the elevator isn't working, I'll be in trouble trying to do stairs. But I'm not sure they actually noted WHY I need ground floor. So when we get there, I will definitely ask if it's ground floor and see what can be done if not.

Songbird76

Original Poster
Just booked a hotel for our layover in Philadelphia. We arrive in the afternoon and then have a 7am flight to Florida, so I booked a room so we can have a good sleep before we leave. With the time difference, by the time we get our luggage, go through passport check, customs, etc, it will be bed time our time. We arrive at dinner time our time, (early afternoon in Philly) so I figure we'll eat something at the airport, then take the shuttle to the hotel, go to bed right away and get up at like 3am to get back to the airport. Then we've had a full night's sleep before the 7am flight to Florida so we won't be exhausted when we get there. That will make getting stuff like groceries easier that afternoon. We can hand our luggage to bell service if we can't check in yet, then Uber it to Target or Publix or something.

Also change of plans. My bestie is going to join us at Universal instead of Disney because it works better for their schedule and it doesn't really matter WHERE we spend time with them, just that we get to see them. They will have a car, so dining will be easier at Universal. I had a list of the places we want to eat that are within walking distance to our resort, but it will be nicer to have a ride.

Anyone familiar with the Philadelphia airport that can tell me what's available food wise?

fractal

Just booked a hotel for our layover in Philadelphia. We arrive in the afternoon and then have a 7am flight to Florida, so I booked a room so we can have a good sleep before we leave. With the time difference, by the time we get our luggage, go through passport check, customs, etc, it will be bed time our time. We arrive at dinner time our time, (early afternoon in Philly) so I figure we'll eat something at the airport, then take the shuttle to the hotel, go to bed right away and get up at like 3am to get back to the airport. Then we've had a full night's sleep before the 7am flight to Florida so we won't be exhausted when we get there. That will make getting stuff like groceries easier that afternoon. We can hand our luggage to bell service if we can't check in yet, then Uber it to Target or Publix or something.

Also change of plans. My bestie is going to join us at Universal instead of Disney because it works better for their schedule and it doesn't really matter WHERE we spend time with them, just that we get to see them. They will have a car, so dining will be easier at Universal. I had a list of the places we want to eat that are within walking distance to our resort, but it will be nicer to have a ride.

Anyone familiar with the Philadelphia airport that can tell me what's available food wise?
There are three Chickie's and Pete's in the Philly Airport, plus many other options. This is the best part of Philly 's airport.

BwlrBry212

There are three Chickie's and Pete's in the Philly Airport, plus many other options. This is the best part of Philly 's airport.

I agree. This is definitely the most Philly offering at the airport. The Crab Fries are a must! Old Bay (a seafood seasoning) spiced fries with a white cheese sauce. Yum!

Songbird76

Original Poster

Thanks! We'll check the menu! Someone in another thread said she didn't think you actually came back to the terminal where the restaurants are when you get OFF the plane, so we may not have that option on the way over, but maybe on our way back? Unless she's wrong about that. I'd rather not have to uber it somewhere, but I will if we have to.

BwlrBry212

No actual crab in the Crab Fries just the seasoning that doesn't actually taste like crab either.

I think there is one in the international terminal. I have only flown back to Philly from outside of the country once and I don't remember if you go past the restaurants or not. I know that there isn't anything to eat once you exit through security.

Songbird76

Original Poster
Just a few days until my ADR window opens up. I have a list of ADRs and the order in which I think I should book them. Unfortunately I have to work on that day, so I'll be very limited with what I can book at that time. The one I'm most worried about is Artist Point dining with Snow White...I originally had it planned for the 2nd week of our trip on an MK day because I figured that was the easiest, transportation-wise...just take a boat from MK to WL. But it turned out that's the night of the MNSSHP, and we have tickets, so no way am I leaving the park to go to a lengthy dinner and missing half the party! So I had to move it. The only other MK day I had in that week was the night before, and I have Ohana for that night, which is ALSO a hard to get one. So I can't really move that one, either. So I have Artist point on day 5 now, I think? And I'm hoping that there will still be an ADR available when I get home from work if I can't snag it on my lunch break. The good news is that with the time difference, it's about noon here when the ADR window opens. The bad news is my lunch time is never at exactly noon. I tried to get the day off, but there were already people who had that day off, so I couldn't get it. I DID take the next day off, and I think MOST of them should be ok. I have a plan B. If I can't get Artist Point for the day we want, I can try for the day we have Ohana, and move Ohana to an Epcot day. Since the Poly is on the monorail loop, we should be able to get there, if not quite as conveniently, from Epcot. We would just have to transfer at the TTC, right?

Any tips from our pros? Is the monorail back up at the Poly or is it still closed down for the building/refurbs?

Here is my list of ADRs and the order in which I will book them, from hardest to get to what I think won't be a problem. And @riverside , I forget now...CAN you book an ADR for the River Roost or is it first come first served?

350035661_948124089846405_654172898828493774_n.jpg

So are there any of these that are harder to get than I think, that I should move up in the queue? I have a landry's card, so I put Yak and Yeti last because I get priority seating. Even if I can't get an ADR, I can just walk up and show them my card and I will get seated. Plus, since it's just the 2 of us, I figure it will be easier to get in to most places. Do I have to pay for Artist Point completely in advance like Hoop Dee Doo? I've never booked a signature dining restaurant. We've done character meals, but never a Signature. I plan to book all of our ADRs for 4 people in case my best friend decides to join us longer than expected, or my friend Denise wants to join us at a resort meal, or in case we end up meeting a magician and our plans align. It's easier to book for more people and just show up with only a partial party than to try to get a bigger table when we get there. But if I have to pay for Artist Point in advance, I won't do that one for more than just the 2 of us.

Songbird76

Original Poster
And I also just realized, I can only book the first 10 days, so I need to adjust the list because some of them will not be able to be booked that first day. So then I should probably take them out of the line up and make a list of only the first 10 days.

Songbird76

Original Poster
I will also book the Behind the Seeds tour and Caring for Giants tour once I get home from work on June 1st. Anything else I should consider booking? I know we can't make reservations for the campfire sing-along with Chip and Dale, though I do have it in my itinerary now for August 1st. And I can't figure out whether I can book an ADR for Yeeha Bob's show at River Roost. I have it on my list just in case, but I couldn't tell if I couldn't find anything because they don't do reservations or because they were already booked up through the dates I could see, since MY window hadn't opened up yet. So if I can, great, and if not, we'll just show up and hope to get a table. I know I asked @riverside about it somewhere, but I can't find it now.

But so far we have set aside time for Behind the Seeds, Caring for Giants, the Campfire Sing-Along, we have tickets to MNSSHP, and we plan to snack a lot at food and wine booths on our Epcot days. So we have a lot of special things planned that we wouldn't be able to do if the boys were with us, and if they announce at some point that they are doing the Dine with an Imagineer, I will snap that up. But I'm certainly open to any other suggestions if I've overlooked something that shouldn't be missed! We decided against the after hours parties because we have such a long trip, we don't think we'll NEED that to do everything we want to do, and the fireworks parties just don't seem worth it for the price. We have Ohana planned at a time where we can request a fireworks view table and hope we can see some of it.

We booked lunches at HS so we can hop if we want to in the afternoon. And we booked mostly later dinner ADRs than usual so we stand a chance at being hungry by the time dinner rolls around. But again, I'm open to suggestions if anyone sees something that won't work or has a better idea!

Thank you all so much for thinking along and giving advice!! This is going to be the best trip ever!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom