No 20K for AK?

CaptainMichael

According to BSD, the 20K prequel has been shelved and along with that, by my humble estimation :lookaroun, so has the Mysterious Island addition for Animal Kingdom.

Could this be the first big decision of the new Disney Parks VP (in conjunction with Iger et al)?

I think so. They must have another franchise in mind. :)

Oh, and MI was a possibility despite what some say.

1) Thank goodness the movie was shelved.

2) Doubtful, he's probably still adjusting to his new job and learning all that it entails.

3) Society of Explorers and Adventurers plz!

4) I think most would agree with you (at some point).

PhantomX

Am I the only one who doesn't know what "20K" means?
Sorry if I'm being silly, but... I'm really curious!

20k = 20,000

In reference to "20,000 Leagues under the sea" the Magic Kingdom e-ticket

20k1.jpg

20000leaguesunderthesea%5B1%5D.jpg

goldenrecords20000leaguesunderthesealp500.jpg

RSoxNo1

A generic "Europe" would offset Asia/Africa and let them bring in dragons and such. I can't think of a whole lot of animals that people would be desperate to see though. But then again, I don't see an abundance of animals in the Dino-rama area either...

I do agree about potter though. But, they are already building a few new castles in FL expansion, so whats another few in AK?

Basically any creature referenced in the Harry Potter books would be fair game for European mythical animals (Dragons, Unicorns, Centaurs, etc). As for real animals from Europe there isn't as much. I would expect maybe an enclosure or two like the Tree of Life exhibits, but I wouldn't anticipate a major walkthrough like Pangani Forest or Maharajah Jungle Trek.

For European animals here are a few noteworthy ones:

Ibex
Ibex_2L.jpg

Spanish Lynx
LYNXPAGE.jpg

20K could work perfectly in AK. You set up a land for Austrailia and the pacific, include Kangaroos, marsupials, maybe a sea life area like the Barrier Reef, perhaps some large crustacians like the coconut crab. House 20k and perhaps another dark ride in an Ayers Rock replica, similar to the original plans for the Western River Expedition (Thunder Mesa) at MK.

Figment632

20K could work perfectly in AK. You set up a land for Austrailia and the pacific, include Kangaroos, marsupials, maybe a sea life area like the Barrier Reef, perhaps some large crustacians like the coconut crab. House 20k and perhaps another dark ride in an Ayers Rock replica, similar to the original plans for the Western River Expedition (Thunder Mesa) at MK.

I still don't see how 20K fits in and was Austrailia even in the novel?

EpcotServo

Yep. Looks dead.
Somebody get Verbinski on the phone....:lol:

Now I think he'd be wayyyy better. Though I wish they'd just stop being so money-happy and just give him the bajillions it'd take to make Bioshock, cause seriously...Bioshock would've been epic.

Future Guy

I honestly believe that the original 20K would not be a big hit with today's audiences. The transparently fake sea life and mermaids may have passed muster in in the 70s and 80s, but today no one besides Disney geeks like us would enjoy them.

I'm not upset that Disney closed 20K, I'm just don't like it that we won't see a "replacement" until 2013 or so.

I still don't see how 20K fits in and was Austrailia even in the novel?

The book had them pretty much covering most of the oceans, the Disney film focused heavily on the south pacific, including the fictional Rura Penthe colony. The Nautilus also was stranded on a reef off New Guinea. Also the original book, The Mysterious island, was based in the south pacific, with the island itself just east of New Zealand. So it could be included in an Australia / Oceania themed area.

EpcotServo

I honestly believe that the original 20K would not be a big hit with today's audiences. The transparently fake sea life and mermaids may have passed muster in in the 70s and 80s, but today no one besides Disney geeks like us would enjoy them.

I'm not upset that Disney closed 20K, I'm just don't like it that we won't see a "replacement" until 2013 or so.

I believe all "Submarine Rides were outdated and never be popular" were answered with the wildly popular Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, proof positive that no matter what A: They can be updated to run efficient and use modern technology, and B: Riding in a Submarine will always be a tried-and-true DISNEY experience that draws crowds.

Anyhoo, Over in general discussion someone discussed an Animal Kingdom Submarine Voyage awhile back, and had some great ideas.

hpyhnt 1000

Tell that to the folks at Disneyland as they wait for over an hour to ride Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. :wave:

Oh, if Disney wanted to do it, I think they could very easily. I'm sure that there's "some amazing new technology that they happen to know about" that could make for a very realistic experience. In fact, the simplest way would be to do what they did with the subs at DL; integrate screen tech and 3D sets. I think, if done properly, you could get a very realistic experience and really make it look like you're under the sea.

EDIT: Darn you Servo! Beaten again!!! :lol:

Figment632

The book had them pretty much covering most of the oceans, the Disney film focused heavily on the south pacific, including the fictional Rura Penthe colony. The Nautilus also was stranded on a reef off New Guinea. Also the original book, The Mysterious island, was based in the south pacific, with the island itself just east of New Zealand. So it could be included in an Australia / Oceania themed area.

It still seems like a stretch to me.

Future Guy

I believe all "Submarine Rides were outdated and never be popular" were answered with the wildly popular Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, proof positive that no matter what A: They can be updated to run efficient and use modern technology, and B: Riding in a Submarine will always be a tried-and-true DISNEY experience that draws crowds.

Anyhoo, Over in general discussion someone discussed an Animal Kingdom Submarine Voyage awhile back, and had some great ideas.

It's popular because they updated it with modern technology. I was saying that the original incarnation of the ride wouldn't go over well with modern audiences. If they gave it some kind of an update tech-wise, of course it'd be the coolest thing in the MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom