Nintendo Switch Open Brainstorming Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
I would have started it there but opted for here for a few reasons. Mostly because I want this thread to be aimed at brainstorming but also because there's simply far more activity on this board than on the gaming board. I wanted this to be a mix of sharing ideas for future games and the specific community we've harbored here on the Imagineering boards to come together with our Switch love.
If the focus is on brainstorming new games I would change the thread title to that - 'Brainstorming Games for Nintendo Switch' or something.

I think what Vox is saying is that if you wanted to talk about Switch games like the thread sounded as you might have more of an audience in the gadgets section where there's threads like this that share Switch codes and talk about games.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nintendo-switch-friend-codes.924939/

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
If the focus is on brainstorming new games I would change the thread title to that - 'Brainstorming Games for Nintendo Switch' or something.

I think what Vox is saying is that if you wanted to talk about Switch games like the thread sounded as you might have more of an audience in the gadgets section where there's threads like this that share Switch codes and talk about games.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nintendo-switch-friend-codes.924939/

Thread title changed. I'm not looking to be difficult here but there's simply not the level of activity on the gadgets board compared to here to get what I want out of this thread. The last past about the Switch before today was way back in August.

spacemt354

Chili's
Thread title changed. I'm not looking to be difficult here but there's simply not the level of activity on the gadgets board compared to here to get what I want out of this thread. The last past about the Switch before today was way back in August.
It wasn't about being difficult it was just trying to help you get the most out of the thread (and also as a heads up because sometimes threads are moved)

And ironically that switch thread just picked back up 30 mins ago lol

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
It wasn't about being difficult it was just trying to help you get the most out of the thread (and also as a heads up because sometimes threads are moved)

And as I've said before, having the thread be in this board is how I think I can get the most out of it :) Trust me, I wasn't oblivious to the fact there was a gadgets board, I weighed my options. I honestly think it'd be a good idea to clean up the actual number of boards on the forum since as of right now I think there's too many of them that just don't have a level of activity to warrant their existence...but of course I'll let management worry about that ;) If this does get moved that's fine, just know the intent of this thread was always a mix of discussion and brainstorming.
Getting back to the brainstorming, something I'm fascinated by is the potential for follow-ups to Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. Really for both franchises I'd like to see them lean more towards the direction of the other one. For Mario I'd love to see something that's TRULY open world but still has the exact flawless mechanics and pick up and play style of Odyssey. Imagine being able to explore all the kingdoms without having to switch between them on the map. The game could be a bit smaller scale than Odyssey but still employing a massive world with different environments to explore.

I'd really like to see Zelda get a more linear game set in the world and lore of Breath of the Wild. As a couple others have stated, Breath of the Wild is a punishing experience and not the most pick-up-and-play friendly. I think a mechanic similar to Majora's Mask could work wonders for Breath of the Wild's overworld...where the challenge isn't about the endless exploration but moreso how much you can accomplish in the massive world over a set period of time with different tiers of goals that gradually get more difficult. This would still give you the feeling of progression but make the huge world a little bit more easy to handle with more straightforward goals to accomplish.

While were on the subject of follow-ups...while I think it's less likely to see a Mario Kart 9, if we do get one on the Switch I think it absolutely NEEDS to break the game completely and create a Diddy Kong Racing style open world hub. How cool would it be to drive your cart around a HUGE Mushroom Kingdom setting that branches out into different tracks and cups. You could still have the same mix of new tracks and classic tracks, but the open world setting would add another dimension that we simply haven't gotten yet with Mario Kart. An adventure mode would be the icing on the cake. While were at it, let's get a current gen Diddy Kong Racing as well, please!

Something I heard discussed on a podcast that I'd love would be a Gameboy Classics Collection...Imagine Pokemon Red/Blue, Metroid 2, Super Mario Land, Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Dr. Mario, Tetris, Pokemon Pinball, the Donkey Kong Land trilogy, and the original Shantae all on one cartridge. Save the home stuff for Classic Editions, but the Switch would be a perfect fit for a Gameboy anthology.

spacemt354

Chili's
And as I've said before, having the thread be in this board is how I think I can get the most out of it :) Trust me, I wasn't oblivious to the fact there was a gadgets board, I weighed my options. I honestly think it'd be a good idea to clean up the actual number of boards on the forum since as of right now I think there's too many of them that just don't have a level of activity to warrant their existence...but of course I'll let management worry about that ;) If this does get moved that's fine, just know the intent of this thread was always a mix of discussion and brainstorming.
Again, as a brainstorming thread it's fine - that's what this place is about. Fwiw, I think management does an exceptional job organizing this site and I like how there's something for everyone, even if smaller niche sections of the forum.

Anyway - continue on with Switch!

21stamps

I post my Just Dance question there after reading your link here.lol. So, thanks for that! Maybe someone will be able to help me.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Soooooooooo, Anyone have any ideas for a new Star Fox? That series feels in desperate need of a revival. I love 64, but most of the games since then have either felt average at best.

21stamps

I would if I could dance :hilarious:

Maybe you, or anyone, could help with the following, I’ve only ever been in Disney chat rooms. Could someone recommend a forum where I could find more info on Switch games, how to play with friends, get certain characters, etc.?

I’m not a gamer, at all, so I need a dumbed-down forum.lol. Just simple instructions/questions/answers inside. Google has lead me on a wild goose chase so far.. long articles that lose me within the 1st paragraph.

spacemt354

Chili's
Maybe you, or anyone, could help with the following, I’ve only ever been in Disney chat rooms. Could someone recommend a forum where I could find more info on Switch games, how to play with friends, get certain characters, etc.?

I’m not a gamer, at all, so I need a dumbed-down forum.lol. Just simple instructions/questions/answers inside. Google has lead me on a wild goose chase so far.. long articles that lose me within the 1st paragraph.
Maybe this would help? I'm not a gamer either haha http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Doubt this would happen, but a HD remastered port of Epic Mickey & Epic Mickey 2 with all the issues fixed, and new content along with DLC?
I'd love that! Honestly though, those games had issues that go well beyond just some bug fixes. Especially the second one. They are the definition of amazing ideas with poor execution.

A reboot of Epic Mickey might be a better idea. Possibly unrealistic, but it would make me ecstatic!

kmbmw777

I'd really like to see Zelda get a more linear game set in the world and lore of Breath of the Wild. As a couple others have stated, Breath of the Wild is a punishing experience and not the most pick-up-and-play friendly. I think a mechanic similar to Majora's Mask could work wonders for Breath of the Wild's overworld...where the challenge isn't about the endless exploration but moreso how much you can accomplish in the massive world over a set period of time with different tiers of goals that gradually get more difficult. This would still give you the feeling of progression but make the huge world a little bit more easy to handle with more straightforward goals to accomplish.
I completely disagree with your assertion that breath of the wild is too punishing. I think the game is very fun, and critic/audience scores agree. The game has tons to do, and moving away from this would feel like a step backwards.

Going on with that. I think the next Zelda game should be released at minimum two years from now. Breath of the wild has had such a big impact that it needs time to die down. I think the game needs to have similar you can do whatever you want but some new story/things.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster

I'd very much recommend seeking out Youtube channels that cover Switch. SwitchForce right now is probably the best in the game. They have daily update videos about eshop content, regular reviews and lets plays, different lists of what games to buy depending on what you're into. They really have their bases covered. Really all the games I currently own for the Switch I first found out about through different Youtubers top ten lists, so just typing in "Top Ten Switch Games" is an excellent place to start.

A good example of SwitchForce and their content :)

@Pionmycake I know it's the go-to example on the thread, but I think the new Star Fox needs to take a Breath of the Wild style open world approach. If anything I'm picturing the game playing out sort of like Odyssey where you travel between different planets but each planet has a ton of different stuff to do. You can fly around in an Arwing, you can use a LandMaster, or you can go on foot (which would be completely reconstructed from Star Fox Adventures and its Zelda style on-foot mechanics) Whatever it is, it needs to get away from Star Fox 64. That game has cast such a huge shadow over the franchise it's really one of the most lopsided gaming IPs ever in terms of quality. We really need something bold and different.

I completely disagree with your assertion that breath of the wild is too punishing. I think the game is very fun, and critic/audience scores agree. The game has tons to do, and moving away from this would feel like a step backwards.

Going on with that. I think the next Zelda game should be released at minimum two years from now. Breath of the wild has had such a big impact that it needs time to die down. I think the game needs to have similar you can do whatever you want but some new story/things.

Trust me, I KNOW I'm in the vast majority when it comes to Breath of the Wild. I don't dislike it or anything, I just don't think it's THE ideal game for Switch because you have to get really invested into it to make much of a dent in it. That's certainly not a bad thing, I'm just really not a very skilled gamer so I do find playing it to be an utterly punishing experience. I've been trying for weeks to get the snow shrine on the Great Plateau using different tactics and I'm simply not GOOD enough to reach it, haha.

What about a 2.5D Zelda on the Switch. Something like Mario 3D World where it's the same sort of classic top-down Zelda action but with a complete graphical overhaul. Hell, a side game of the Zelda series we haven't seen in years that would work freaking PERFECTLY on the Switch is Four Swords. Could you imagine online Four Swords quests? I'm salivating just thinking about it!

Still fascinated by the idea of a game that utilizes the same overworld as Breath of the Wild but with some sort of significant change to the game mechanics. It doesn't have to dumb down the gameplay persay...much like how Majora's Mask was radically different from OOT and yet was arguably an even more challenging game overall inspite of being way more linear.

Twilight_Roxas

Doubt this won't happen either, but Koei Techmo making a Dynasty Warriors version of Star Wars and/or Power Rangers like Hyrule Warriors & Fire Emblem Warriors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom