Nintendo Switch Open Brainstorming Thread

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Greeting fellow Armchair Imagineers! As you may have gathered by the hype @Pionmycake and I have thrown its way when we talk about Nintendo on the Uniting Universal podcasts, I'm absolutely in love with my Switch. After having sat out the past two generations with my last major console purchase being a Wii WAAAAY back ten years ago, it took Mario Odyssey to be the system seller I needed to jump back into gaming and man am I glad I did. The Switch has went from the Mario machine in the first week I owned it to an absolutely unstoppable platform filled with every game imaginable via the EShop. This thread will be all about celebrating the console, talking about the games we own and the games were hyped for, and more importantly brainstorm for future releases. 2018 is a big question mark for the system with only Spring releases like Yoshi and Kirby and ports such as Dark Souls and Tropical Freeze on the horizon so far.

I'd like to start by quickly going through my collection. Thank god I got a job when I did because I would NOT be able to play this many games otherwise...

Super Mario Odyssey
super-mario-odyssey-10-30-17-1.jpg

Yes, it's as good as you've heard and absolutely a killer app for the system. Mario Odyssey is a better fit for the Switch than Breath of the Wild for the pick up and play nature of it. Each kingdom offers something completely different both visually and in terms of gameplay mechanics. I've only beaten the main story thus far and know I have a MASSIVE post-game to get into with hundreds of moons to collect but I've put the game on the shelf for now.

Breath of the Wild
Breath-of-the-Wild-Walkthrough.jpg

I'll be honest...I'm not a fan so far. Granted this is mostly because of the steep, steep difficulty curve. Famously in my friends circles I still haven't managed to get off the Great Plateau. Don't get me wrong, on a technical level even though I'm still on the tutorial I see how it's an amazing accomplishment. I'm just more of a fan of arcade-y, "pick up and play" type stuff whereas Zelda is basically nothing but a challenge.

Stardew Valley
fc56d057eb843e28ab2845c07fb3489a30f7445a.jpg

The killer app on my Switch currently. This farming/"country life" simulator takes a while to get into and much like Breath of the Wild doesn't hold your hand through any of it, but it has so many rewarding things to do. You can neglect your farm completely and become a fisherman. You can set out to become the world's greatest adventurer in the mines, you can try to make as much bank as possible with your crops, you can be a Cassanova with men and women alike in the town, or you can do all or none of this if you so choose. The game is so open ended that even though at the end of the first year I'm not NEARLY as far along with my farm as I should be I'm still completely engrossed and...to use a cheesy line I said to myself while playing "feel like I'm a part of something bigger than myself..."

Splatoon 2
Splatoon-2-Main.jpg

The killer app for me before I got the Stardew bug. Splatoon 2 is an insanely addictive online multiplayer experience and honest to god the first real 3D "shooter" I've ever gotten into. The three minute Turf War matches alone offer so much variety from match to match depending on the skill level of those you're playing against that you'll absolutely never get tired of it. It's a definitive "pick up and play" experience for the system. Mix that with a killer online community and constant new upgrades and special events and you've got yourself a game you'll essentially be playing throughout the system's life.

Sonic Mania: An easy purchase at only 20$ for any old school Sonic fan. This is a rock solid blend of speed and precision platforming that will kick your butt and leave you wanting more. Excellent graphics and music only add to the experience here.

Batman: The Telltale Series (Season One): Pretty much got this for BlueDragonFive. While this doesn't match the heights of The Walking Dead Telltale game, it's still a superbly crafted Batman story that will have you on the edge of your seat. Gameplay could be more engaging and the choices could have more consequences but the actual narrative will keep you hooked from start to finish.

Rocket League: At 20$, this is a freaking steal! I feel a little behind the curve playing this thing considering beta versions have been out for almost a decade now but I definitely view this purchase as something I can get better at over time. Rocket League is a physics based arcade sports title with stellar online support including cross-platform play to ensure there's always something to play with.

Fast RMX: Graphically speaking, this might be the most impressive thing on the system. Fast RMX is another steal of an Eshop game with blistering racing mechanics that call to mind F-Zero but ultimately improve on them with the gimmick of the different colored boost pads you'll have to switch between. This game isn't just a skill test of tight turns and speed, it forces you to memorize the layout of each track for a familiar yet unique experience.

I've also downloaded Shovel Knight, Lego City Undercover, Mario/Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and Puyo Puyo Tetris but haven't had time to form opinions on those one way or another.

Now it's time to talk about stuff coming out for the Switch, and what I'd like to see done with it. Let's first start with what we know. Of course we'll be getting some stellar ports this year...most notably Dark Souls 2 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I'm especially excited to play Tropical Freeze having grown up with the original DKC trilogy and loving the 3DS port of Returns. Other ports I'd like to see are Mario Maker, Smash Brothers 4, and perhaps most controversially Grand Theft Auto V.

As far as new games coming this year, we don't know much. Kirby Star Allies is the next triple A first party title and honestly that doesn't really look much different from the two 3DS Kirby games...standard enemy sucking platforming action with a new gameplay twist. This time you can take control of up to four enemies at a time...something I'm sure will be fun but I'm not sure will warrant the inevitable 60$ price point.

The platformer this spring I'm far more excited about is Yoshi! This game looks to switch up the Yoshi's Island formula in much the same way Breath of the Wild deconstructed Zelda. The art style is an arts and craft diorama and the main hook is the ability to switch between a 2D and 3D perspective. This is something last seen in the criminally under-rated Super Paper Mario and I'm excited for the gimmick to be applied to a more traditional platformer.

Mario Tennis honestly might be the killer app of 2018 for yours truly. I'm a massive fan of the series and haven't played it since the Gamecube days. With the addition of the story mode and shiny new graphics I can't wait to get my hands on the Switch edition. Mario sports games have been hit or miss on the 3DS and WiiU because of an emphasis on packing too many of them together. I'm excited to get a triple A first party release that's JUST tennis.

After that, it's all speculation which is where this thread comes into play. The two BIG things that we know are coming for the Switch but don't know a lot about are the unnamed Pokemon RPG and Metroid Prime 4. While I probably won't be picking up Metroid as first person shooters are my least favorite genre, Pokemon has a ton of potential especially if they rework it in a Breath of the Wild style way. My ideal Pokemon RPG for Switch would be a fully 3D open world sandbox with a completely reconstructed battle system that more resembles the fighting mechanics of Smash Brothers or Pokken Tournament then the stale rock-paper-scissors mechanic that's dominated the franchise.

Of course there's a ton else to speculate on. Will more obscure 1st party franchises like Kid Icarus and Star Fox make a comeback? Will there be a brand new Smash Brothers game on the horizon or merely a port of the WiiU version? Will there be second installments for the beloved Mario and Zelda franchises after the one two punch last year? That's all stuff I want to have this thread for.

Share your game collections, share your friend codes, share your ideas for future games! Generally this is a place for everyone to LOVE the Switch!

Last edited:

JokersWild

The Switch has definitely made me the most excited about gaming as I've been in a very long time. I don't think I've been excited about hardware rather than the game catalog since the Wii. The Switch is absolutely incredible. Definitely what the Wii U should have been. I'm loving all the unique titles that have been popping up, as well as the quickly budding indie scene. Definitely my favorite console in a long while.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Honestly, I'd be surprised if Shovel Knight is NOT in the next Smash Bros. He is, if I'm not mistaken, the only third party title with an amiibo that isn't in smash Bros yet.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Honestly, I'd be surprised if Shovel Knight is NOT in the next Smash Bros. He is, if I'm not mistaken, the only third party title with an amiibo that isn't in smash Bros yet.
Yeah, double checked myself. Shovel Knight is the only third party character not connected to smash Bros to have amiibo. And more are on the way. Papa Nintendo is adopting that indie game orphan lol.

Also, while I was on the site, i discovered my new favorite name for an amiibo ever lol
Screenshot_2018-01-21-15-21-16-1.png

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster

I've only played about an hour's worth of Shovel Knight but right from first getting my hands on it I was like "this guy NEEDS to be in the next Smash" haha. His moveset is perfect for the game plus the shovel weapon is something that Smash hasn't yet seen. Another unconventional 3rd party character I'd love via the "indie game orphanage" that is Switch is a Stardew Valley farmer. You could use the sword, axe, fishing pole etc. It'd be similar to Animal Crossing's Villager but a bit more practical. Of course you'd have to update the 16 bit sprite look of Stardew to current gen graphics which might be a bit tricky but they've done it with characters like Ice Climbers and Pit.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I was absolutely SHOCKED when Knuckles never made it on to the Smash 4 roster. To me he has a more obvious Smash moveset than Sonic with the gliding, climbing, and punching. It's beyond me how he's never made the roster. Same with Dixie Kong who totally seems like a no-brainer. Cranky Kong I'm adapting into the fray as the unofficial "Scrooge McDuck" though I guess Shovel Knight would also have the cane bouncing mechanic.

tcool123

Hi I'm tcool! I've been a proud Switch owner since day one. Here are the games I currently own.
Friendcode: SW-7230-9934-8510, Tommy
Some video game threads:
Switch based: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nintendo-switch-friend-codes.924939/
gaming as a whole, but a lot of Switch for good measure: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-gaming-industry-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.934989/

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild + Season Pass
Easily the best game I have, and I simply love how there's so much to do. It's like I never run out of things to do because there is always more. Currently finishing up the main storyline for the DLC for Daruk's Ballad.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
A general crowd pleaser which is fun, but I feel suffers from having too much. Whenever I play with friends or family we typically do the same 8 courses over and over again.

Arms
By far my favorite game that I own. In my eyes it's tons of fun, plenty of interesting characters to choose from, highly competitive in my family, and so many customization options. There is tons of fun to have with this game.

Snipperclips
My least favorite game from the bunch. It's not that it's bad, but my friends and family simply do not have the patience for this game. However this obviously doesn't apply to everyone, and could be worth a chance for you.

Splatoon 2
My second least favorite of the bunch. Shooters aren't really my thing, but I thought to myself why not? I picked up, and had a blast initially. However as time pass on due to the lack of local multiplayer, and less time than what I had in the summer my hype for this game sizzled down quickly.

Stardew Valley
I double dipped for this one. I had already bought it for the PC, and never finished it. Now I have it for the Switch, and to no surprise ave yet to finish it. Maybe when summer comes around I'll have free time once more to play.

Jackbox Party Pack 4
Definitely a crowd pleaser this along with Mario Kart 8, and Arms makes the Switch aust have for parties. The fact that up to 8 people can play all the game really helps as well as typically I have quite gatherings. However in more intimate settings it works as well.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
I had my doubts like the rest of the internet, but my gosh this a hard game. The first world boss gives you a run for your money, and the game itself requires in depth thinking and strategy. Additionally it has delightful humor spread throughout that reminds me of Paper Mario that I've chuckled at before. Definitely a must for those that love quirky strategy games.

tcool123

Mario Tennis honestly might be the killer app of 2018 for yours truly. I'm a massive fan of the series and haven't played it since the Gamecube days. With the addition of the story mode and shiny new graphics I can't wait to get my hands on the Switch edition. Mario sports games have been hit or miss on the 3DS and WiiU because of an emphasis on packing too many of them together. I'm excited to get a triple A first party release that's JUST tennis.
Same here Tiki! I'm looking forward to Tenis. I'm hoping that they also make a reboot to the Sluggers franchise I loved it as a kid :inlove:
And I must say I was mighty good with the motion controls of Sluggers as well ;):p

share your ideas for future games!
Tune in to So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 16: Purists vs. Innovators later today to see what @Pionmycake , @D Hindley , @DisneyManOne , @kmbmw777 , and of course @tcool123 were able to cook up in their open world game The Magic Kingdom. Or you could look into the brainstorming thread, but where's the fun in that ;)

Twilight_Roxas

Sora most likely won't join due to Disney owning him. The games I have Zelda, few NeoGeo games, Namco Arcade Museum, some downloaded games, Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces, Mario + Rabbids, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and recently preorder Bayonetta 1&2. I almost forgot Resident Evil Revelations.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

games I have and my thoughts on them:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
super mario odyssey: possibly my favorite mario game
mario and rabbids: fun, but I don't know if I will get very far in it
splatoon 2: super fun, play it, you won't be let down
puyo puyo tetris: my go to on the go game if I know I am only going to be in an area for a short amount of time. Online mode is great.
fast rmx: fun, but difficult
zelda: got bored
1 2 switch: really cool, despite the reviews, I think it's a perfect multiplayer game for casual gamers
sonic mania: one of the best sonic games ever
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
games I know are going to happen, and I want:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pokemon
kirby star allies (if you knew the full kirby lore like I do you would be hyped for this game)
maybe yoshi, but most modern yoshi games are meh to me and not very replayable
the world ends with you hd
donkey kong country tropical freeze
maybe mario tennis aces
games I want to see in the future on the system:
donkey kong country returns 3
smash bros 5
mario maker 2
a hat in time
cuphead
earthbound collectors edition (1, 2, and 3 in glorious hd...a girl can dream)
a good mario party game
crash n sane trilogy
spyro trilogy
a good paper mario game
friend code: SW-3925-4656-2688

Last edited:

21stamps

Santa brought a Switch and 4 games for Christmas..

Does anyone know if there’s a way to challenge specific people in Just Dance 18? Some of kiddos friends have a Switch as well and we haven’t found it possible.. only competing again 400something players online.

Kiddo’s games-
Super Mario Odyssey
Arms
Just Dance 18
FIFA 18 (his favorite by a landslide)

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Guys, as much I hate to be this person, (And I'm glad to see everyone loving their switch as much as I love mine) but this probably belongs in the Video Game Forums. You might end up seeing this get move... (Just wanted to give a warning in case it does).

I would have started it there but opted for here for a few reasons. Mostly because I want this thread to be aimed at brainstorming but also because there's simply far more activity on this board than on the gaming board. I wanted this to be a mix of sharing ideas for future games and the specific community we've harbored here on the Imagineering boards to come together with our Switch love.

Getting back to the brainstorming, something I'm fascinated by is the potential for follow-ups to Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. Really for both franchises I'd like to see them lean more towards the direction of the other one. For Mario I'd love to see something that's TRULY open world but still has the exact flawless mechanics and pick up and play style of Odyssey. Imagine being able to explore all the kingdoms without having to switch between them on the map. The game could be a bit smaller scale than Odyssey but still employing a massive world with different environments to explore.

I'd really like to see Zelda get a more linear game set in the world and lore of Breath of the Wild. As a couple others have stated, Breath of the Wild is a punishing experience and not the most pick-up-and-play friendly. I think a mechanic similar to Majora's Mask could work wonders for Breath of the Wild's overworld...where the challenge isn't about the endless exploration but moreso how much you can accomplish in the massive world over a set period of time with different tiers of goals that gradually get more difficult. This would still give you the feeling of progression but make the huge world a little bit more easy to handle with more straightforward goals to accomplish.

While were on the subject of follow-ups...while I think it's less likely to see a Mario Kart 9, if we do get one on the Switch I think it absolutely NEEDS to break the game completely and create a Diddy Kong Racing style open world hub. How cool would it be to drive your cart around a HUGE Mushroom Kingdom setting that branches out into different tracks and cups. You could still have the same mix of new tracks and classic tracks, but the open world setting would add another dimension that we simply haven't gotten yet with Mario Kart. An adventure mode would be the icing on the cake. While were at it, let's get a current gen Diddy Kong Racing as well, please!

Something I heard discussed on a podcast that I'd love would be a Gameboy Classics Collection...Imagine Pokemon Red/Blue, Metroid 2, Super Mario Land, Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Dr. Mario, Tetris, Pokemon Pinball, the Donkey Kong Land trilogy, and the original Shantae all on one cartridge. Save the home stuff for Classic Editions, but the Switch would be a perfect fit for a Gameboy anthology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom