Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Jabbas

I guess I'll dial back my complaints about Mario Kart a bit after seeing how absolutely dire the new Spider-Man Webslingers ride is at DCA. Though I still think there were many clearly misguided choices in the creation of Mario Kart, at least there's some inspiration and innovation behind it. Webslingers is complete bottom of the barrel, low effort, tone-deaf, pandering trash.

Honestly, what is that? So glad we didn’t get that. It looks awful.

OG Runner

I guess I'll dial back my complaints about Mario Kart a bit after seeing how absolutely dire the new Spider-Man Webslingers ride is at DCA. Though I still think there were many clearly misguided choices in the creation of Mario Kart, at least there's some inspiration and innovation behind it. Webslingers is complete bottom of the barrel, low effort, tone-deaf, pandering trash.

Sorry, but have you ridden either of the rides you are referencing? If not, of what value is your opinion on the ride.
I had heard the opinions of the Fast & Furious before I went to Florida. It wasn't until I rode it that I told people how
much it sucked. Watching a YouTube video is not riding the ride.

The Grand Inquisitor

Same I can see what Universal was going for with Mario Kart plus the sets are amazing. Web Slingers is just so lazy.

JT3000

Sorry, but have you ridden either of the rides you are referencing? If not, of what value is your opinion on the ride.
I had heard the opinions of the Fast & Furious before I went to Florida. It wasn't until I rode it that I told people how
So we're just going to pretend Webslingers isn't Midway Mania 2.0? That it's some revolutionary thing that you have to see in person to know exactly what you're looking at?

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

Tom Morrow

This is probably a rare instance where we know exactly what the ride experience is like without riding it.

It’s also worse than TSM because the games don’t change and increase in intensity depending on how you do. TSM offers actual needed skills and rewards you for doing better. It also has more games and each game is different. Webslingers is the same basic concept but worse - the games don't require much skill and don't change if you do better - and drastically misses the mark on what a Marvel ride made by Disney should be.

They also made a bad choice to make a Spider-Man ride when a masterpiece Spider-Man ride has already existed for 22 years.

Last edited:

OG Runner

Sorry to the General, JT and Tom, but again, no. If you haven't ridden the ride, you cannot judge the experience.
I felt the same way when people were taking shots at Mario Karts. You need to ride the ride before judging the
experience. You may not be impressed if it is too similar to Midway Mania, but do you not enjoy both Transformers
and Spiderman at Universal? They are almost exactly the same ride, even how the story progresses. At the same
time I have ridden both each time I go to Universal and enjoyed the experience.

JT3000

Sorry to the General, JT and Tom, but again, no. If you haven't ridden the ride, you cannot judge the experience.
I felt the same way when people were taking shots at Mario Karts. You need to ride the ride before judging the
experience. You may not be impressed if it is too similar to Midway Mania, but do you not enjoy both Transformers
and Spiderman at Universal? They are almost exactly the same ride, even how the story progresses. At the same
time I have ridden both each time I go to Universal and enjoyed the experience.
Except Amazing Spider-Man was much more impressive than Midway Mania to begin with, so it didn't matter as much when Transformers turned out to be inferior. It's also in a different park (it wasn't supposed to come to Orlando at all originally.) This is in the exact same park as Midway Mania, further increasing its redundancy.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

So not only is it in the same park as Toy Story Mania, it's also inferior in several ways. For starters, the obvious fact of having less games. Then, the different "games" are the same game just with different scripted events. In Toy Story Mania each game is different and the goals are different, and doing better rewards you with new targets that are worth more. So it's a worse version of a ride already in the park, and it completely misses the mark on what an MCU ride made by Disney should be like. Instead of feeling like its for everyone it feels like its very much for kids with a very pandering tone. It utterly fails in what it sets out to do - we're supposed to feel like Spider-Man. But when people want to feel like Spider-Man they want to swing through the air, not shoot webs at little toy robots.

It's a shame because they got the tone EXACTLY right for what an MCU ride should be like with Mission: Breakout. I honestly can't fathom how they could miss the mark so badly here.

OG Runner

Except Amazing Spider-Man was much more impressive than Midway Mania to begin with, so it didn't matter as much when Transformers turned out to be inferior. It's also in a different park (it wasn't supposed to come to Orlando at all originally.) This is in the exact same park as Midway Mania, further increasing its redundancy.

Okay, honestly am not trolling, but to be set on comparing Amazing Spiderman to Midway Mania, and not see how similar Spiderman
and Transformers are, not to mention the Simpson's Ride, Jimmy Fallon and even the Minions is just wrong. The first day I was in the
Universal Parks a friend asked me how I enjoyed the rides. I told him they were cool but I had been dropped from heights and caught
virtually a number of times. The rides mentioned even use very similar "stories" to each other. If you can't deal with the similarities between Midway Mania and Amazing Spiderman, how do you even go to Universal?

matt9112

Okay, honestly am not trolling, but to be set on comparing Amazing Spiderman to Midway Mania, and not see how similar Spiderman
and Transformers are, not to mention the Simpson's Ride, Jimmy Fallon and even the Minions is just wrong. The first day I was in the
Universal Parks a friend asked me how I enjoyed the rides. I told him they were cool but I had been dropped from heights and caught
virtually a number of times. The rides mentioned even use very similar "stories" to each other. If you can't deal with the similarities between Midway Mania and Amazing Spiderman, how do you even go to Universal?

Fallon and minions imho are both theater style rides. In the same vein as shrek albeit thankfully far better. Transformers and spidey are much more of a true attraction. Both similar but the poster has a point. It is very possible guests visit only one park and dont see that redundancy. I think the biggest problem here is that there doing the split phase thing again...opening the lesser ride first forcing it to carry the whole land.

JT3000

I never said Spider-Man & Transformers weren't similar. Transformers was literally meant to be the Spider-Man for Universal locations that didn't already have it, hence the reuse of its ride system & even certain story beats. It only got built here because they had a surplus of money sitting around and a space for it. Does it feel redundant if you're park hopping? Yeah, but at least it's in a different park, and it's still a much better attraction than either Midway Mania or Spider-Mania.

Likewise, I wouldn't compare Spider-Man or Transformers to any of the other Universal attractions you named. Just because they all involve the use of screens, that doesn't make them all comparable in quality or scope. Would you say Minions or Fallon is similar to Flight of Passage?

Rich Brownn

I never said Spider-Man & Transformers weren't similar. Transformers was literally meant to be the Spider-Man for Universal locations that didn't already have it, hence the reuse of its ride system & even certain story beats. It only got built here because they had a surplus of money sitting around and a space for it. Does it feel redundant if you're park hopping? Yeah, but at least it's in a different park, and it's still a much better attraction than either Midway Mania or Spider-Mania.

Likewise, I wouldn't compare Spider-Man or Transformers to any of the other Universal attractions you named. Just because they all involve the use of screens, that doesn't make them all comparable in quality or scope. Would you say Minions or Fallon is similar to Flight of Passage?
Even Transformers use the screen differently. In Spider-Man the action generally takes place while moving left-to-right so the screens are flat. The exception in the "free-fall" areas where forward motion is simulated, so the screens are curved and the cars moved very slowly left-to-right while turning and following the curvature of the screen (Similar to the effect old-time Cinerama used). Transformers is exactly the opposite - since must of the "motion" is simulated forward motion, most of the screens are curved and the cars park in front of them. Not a difference most people would notice, but the simulated motion effect for the two rides is actually very different in terms of structure. :)

OG Runner

Even Transformers use the screen differently. In Spider-Man the action generally takes place while moving left-to-right so the screens are flat. The exception in the "free-fall" areas where forward motion is simulated, so the screens are curved and the cars moved very slowly left-to-right while turning and following the curvature of the screen (Similar to the effect old-time Cinerama used). Transformers is exactly the opposite - since must of the "motion" is simulated forward motion, most of the screens are curved and the cars park in front of them. Not a difference most people would notice, but the simulated motion effect for the two rides is actually very different in terms of structure. :)

I am sorry for the directness, but what are you smoking, drinking, etc. I am sorry that is too harsh, but the fact of the matter is that
they are the exact same ride, with the story beats, and the same ending. (fall from a height and get caught by spider-web or Bumblebee)
Again, I am sorry for the harshness, but if you have ridden both rides and do not see that they are not just similar, they are the same, you
may be riding with your eyes closed.

lazyboy97o

I am sorry for the directness, but what are you smoking, drinking, etc. I am sorry that is too harsh, but the fact of the matter is that
they are the exact same ride, with the story beats, and the same ending. (fall from a height and get caught by spider-web or Bumblebee)
Again, I am sorry for the harshness, but if you have ridden both rides and do not see that they are not just similar, they are the same, you
Same would imply something like the same layout or configuration.

Tom Morrow

In Spider-Man, the screens are extensions of physical sets until the final act when you fly through the air. In Tranformers, about half of the screens are portraying physical movement and speed of your vehicle. Spisder-Man has a much greater emphasis on physical sets and immersion, and Transformers has a greater emphasis on simulated speed. So while they are very similar rides, they did at least use the ride system slightly differently.

To me, a much bigger issue is Despicable Me, Simpsons, and Fallon all in the same park.

Rich Brownn

The film projection techniques are unique to each ride based on the effect thy wish to achieve. While the plot lines and motion effects are similar there are differences. Curved screens provide an illusion of forward motion, which is the basis for much of the effects in Transformers, while that effect is reserved for the free-fall portion of Spider-Man This is basic cinematography technique (As I pointed out, curved screens were used for Cinerama from 1952 until 1973). Some of us actually studied cinematography in college. Next time pay attention and you will notice there are only 2 curved screens in Spider-Man, used for a forward effect -- the rest are using "squinshing" for left-to-right effects. Transformers is the reverse - the majority of the screens to give the illusion of forward motion - very few screens are 'flat'. In the storyline of Spidey you're in the scoop, trying to evade the bad guys while driving through warehouses, sewers, etc. But Transformers you're trying to race ahead. Granted, it's a subtle difference but it does highlight how the type of screens and projections used can provide a different kind of motion "effect". And yes, my college degree was cinematography and television technology, so the use of the type of screens and its effect would be more obvious to someone like me, then people who just see a ride and assume all projections and simulators use exactly the same technique. As a side note,"squinshing" is more difficult on a curved screen, which is why the vehicles remain more or less stopped when in front of them on both ride. And thanks for keeping up the reputation of this site for rudeness,

JT3000

The exact same ride? Erm... Obvious differences in motion, pacing & scene composition aside, have you ever taken a moment and just looked at the Transformers building? Is there anything about it that immediately jumps out at you? Like, I don't know, its height maybe? Or its relatively small footprint? What are you willing to bet that it is in fact the exact same ride as Spider-Man? Because I'm willing to bet my house it's not.

OG Runner

He probably thinks Small World and Mexico are the same ride at Disney, since they both use boats and take place in Spanish speaking countries :D

Cute, but you both know I am right, just to be clear my response was in response to another poster stating Midway Mania and the
new Spiderman in California are the same. If that is the premise how can you deny Spiderman and Transformers are not the same?

OG Runner

Same would imply something like the same layout or configuration.

No it would not. It is the exact same story. You go from one scene to another simulating danger. You end up "going up" and
at the end are dropped from a height, only to be saved by the hero. That implies being the same, which they are, and you
know it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom