Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Absimilliard

100 percent they do need slower rides - but why pick Mario Kart if you wanted to build a slow ride? That's the major disconnect here.

This is the second time Universal has picked a racing franchise and delivered a slow moving ride, which is just super odd.

Now I don't think that actually makes the ride bad, it's probably pretty enjoyable. It just doesn't really capture the IP they decided to go with correctly.

I won't hate on Yoshi though. It however is very basic. It probably qualifies as a B-ticket, which is usually just an attraction more for atmosphere than anything.

Mr. Toad is not fast, yet still conveys the idea of a fast and wild car ride well anyway. I am curious to see how Mario Kart make it feel fast. Fast images? Twisting track?

Giss Neric

I was so hyped by the Mario Kart ride to be the next gen ride but I was severely disappointed not by the aesthetics and immersiveness but by the ride system itself. I wanted it to be an improved version of Radiator Springs Racers but the AR and interactive element of it made it more like a game than a "racing ride."

If the Spiderman ride at Avengers Campus would be better than this then I will be really surprised cause I am lowering my expectations for that ride but it seems like these two are gonna be compared in terms of being "interactive."

Anticlimax is an understatement!

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Well, the queue is really, really well done. Why couldn't the Yoshi queue be like that as well? The physical ride show scenes, for what they are, are pretty nice as well. But when I think of Mario Kart, I definitely don't think about racing around tiny rooms, going 5 mph, while the other racers sporadically fade in and out of existence around me. Perhaps its not fair to judge the AR through the videos, but I'm guessing that it looks "okay" at best, but probably leans toward cheesy and janky.

This is NOT what a Mario Kart ride should be. Not at all.

Does anybody else get major Dubai vibes?
Space the scenes out so that everything is too far apart, and place all the graphics on tiny screens around the ride track, and viola - it's a MotionGate ride!

I did a literal 3 second scrub of the non-AR video and I think that's a good enough spoiler level for me. So keep in mind super uniformed opinion.

It is better than my fears, but I totally get the MotionGate comparisons. I think this was just the totally wrong tech for the concept (i.e. Mario Kart). If this was Luigi's Mansion, a lot of the criticism would really go away.

That is what I'll criticize Universal for. They have a lot of trouble matching some lavish tech with the right IP. Gringott's should have leaned into being a coaster. F&F or Mario Kart both needed platforms that had some sense of speed to them.

100 percent they do need slower rides - but why pick Mario Kart if you wanted to build a slow ride? That's the major disconnect here.

This is the second time Universal has picked a racing franchise and delivered a slow moving ride, which is just super odd.

Now I don't think that actually makes the ride bad, it's probably pretty enjoyable. It just doesn't really capture the IP they decided to go with correctly.

I won't hate on Yoshi though. It however is very basic. It probably qualifies as a B-ticket, which is usually just an attraction more for atmosphere than anything.

You nailed it. This setup is perfect for a Luigi's mansion ride or even just a Mario ride where you shoot fireballs at enemies or something. Mario Kart needed to be a fast ride, and its reception will suffer because of this regardless of what the experience in real life actually is.

Giss Neric

Did Disney create the ride system for Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers? Is it possible they couldn't "pirate" it that's why they went on a different route? I'm thinking what other ride systems can they do that can race but it not being a rollercoaster

Tom Morrow

Did Disney create the ride system for Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers? Is it possible they couldn't "pirate" it that's why they went on a different route? I'm thinking what other ride systems can they do that can race but it not being a rollercoaster
They patented the exact design, but that doesn't mean others couldn't create their own version of what is essentially a giant slot car track.

J4546

yeah i mean look at Duel GP in Suzuka Japan...thats the ride mariokart should have been based around. 1 driver able to steer and drift/spin out and the backseat is someone controlling weapons. that would have been amazing

lazyboy97o

There was going to be a fast Fast & Furious ride at Universal Studios Moscow.

Luigi

It was really underwhelming. Again, the AR cannot be judged via the video, but its a slow dark ride with some game elements. Not what I was expecting at all.

SplashJacket

The sets IMO are as good as we could’ve hoped so great job there. The AR has janky bits typical of AR but for the rest it needs to be seen in person. It isn’t what I imagined when I imagined a Mario Kart ride but we’ll see if I have fun with it.
The sets are definitely some of the best in the world, their scale and detail are very impressive. The use of screens, projection mapping, and traditional lighting are almost seamless.

If the ride was meant to be a traditional dark ride, no one would complain, but it is meant to be more. I don't even think the AR POV is even worth watching, but I highly doubt the AR and interactivity make the ride worse, so they can only enhance an already solid attraction.

Universal was very gutsy to make a slow-moving ride for a racing franchise, but the execution looks very solid.

Interactivity in rides is generally a hit or miss; I absolutely love TSMM but think MFSR's interactivity is inherently flawed. To me, the interactivity seems fun, but it doesn't have to be; TSMM is essentially repeatedly pressing a button.

There's no way to tell if the ride's interactivity or AR are well done from a POV, but the aspects we can judge, look very well done.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Wow that looks terrible! Unrelated (sort of) but it makes me think we dodged a bullet with that proposed Wreck it Ralph attraction for Tomorrowland. Wasn't that going to be a similar tech?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think RSR is def the better racing attraction. Maybe if they build it they’ll force Disney to build RSR at DHS! Wishful thinking maybe haha
DHS was rumored to get a RSR-lite version some years back, without the actual racing part. Doubt it would have incorporated AR.

These themepark execs need to stop banking on digital tech and go back to what works: practical sets and physical motion. I'm sure Disney is watching this one closely... regarding their upcoming Spider-Man attraction.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom