Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Brer Oswald

One thing that has been consistently rumored is that this expansion will feature more animatronics and physical sets than previous projects. The insiders haven't really said if Mario Kart will be interactive.
If Mario Kart won't be interactive, I assume they are choosing Mario Kart because they want to have a memorable ride vehicle that they can take inspiration from a game.

Mike S

If Mario Kart won't be interactive, I assume they are choosing Mario Kart because they want to have a memorable ride vehicle that they can take inspiration from a game.
It's also possible that Mario Kart offers the best opportunity to include more than just the main cast of characters in one ride leaving room for the rumored DK Mine Coaster instead of everything being Mario.

Brer Oswald

Mario Kart will be the lands main E Ticket. We save Peach plenty of times at home so that's not a deal breaker for me. Warp Pipes, Blocks, and Power-Ups could easily appear throughout the land. Who says Bowser can't appear as a villain? Bowser's Castle has appeared as a course in every title and it's been hinted on Orlando United that this ride could have multiple locations:

Teebin is pretty much OU's big insider like @WDW1974 is here.
Which of the four locations are rumoured to be in the ride? Bowser's Castle and Mario Circuit?

Mike S

Which of the four locations are rumoured to be in the ride? Bowser's Castle and Mario Circuit?
He hasn't said. Taking my own guess I would say Rainbow Road has to be one of them due to how iconic it is. My wish for the other would be Bowser's Castle.
Wait...there's a rumoured DK MINE COASTER?!?! Pinch me I must be dreaming!
You should really read some of the last few pages ;)

Brer Oswald

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Steve Burke and Comcast aren't screwing around and I feel like something big is brewing at UO every couple of months. There hasn't been such aggressive and responsible stewardship of theme parks since Eisner's early years when he gave the thumbs up on Splash Mountain within 10 minutes of seeing the model and said, "what else can you show me?"
And if it weren't for Tony Baxter, Splash Mountain would be centred around the movie Splash. Good god what was Eisner thinking :facepalm:

Brer Oswald

No one knew the Pokemon app would do so well and who knows if it has any staying power. There is no way there are any plans for Pokemon in the parks right now so including Pokemon will take many years if at all. Also what would you do for an attraction? It's a fighting game. I can't think of any way to translate Pokemon into a good attraction? You could always take any attraction, throw some Pokemon characters into and bam there you go but that wouldn't make it good.
Pokemon's popularity far exceeds Mario's popularity, even before the new app. I assume Pokemon would get a Jungle Cruise like attraction (not necessarily on boat) where you would travel through a Pokemon safari and try to catch as many Pokemon as you can. The Pokemon would be represented by screens and animatronics.

Brer Oswald

Put all this together in one and you have my idea of what a Pokemon Safari ride would be. The ride vehicle would be something that can go anywhere, even underwater (but not fly). It would be Universal's first 10-15 minute ride. AA Pokemon would populate the foreground of the elaborate sets while giant immersive Shanghai Pirates style screens are in the background. Why are they there? Because they are randomized and show different Pokemon each time you ride.
Read this after I posted :facepalm:. Guess I'm not the only one with this sort of idea.

Mike S

I didn't correct this before but apparently the ride being described here in a Teebin quote from a few pages back is Mario Kart, not Yoshi as I orginally thought.
One cannot compare Nintendo to anything else out there visually. I cannot think of an attraction in Orlando as bright and colorful as what Uni has come up with. LOTS of primary colors; one more than the other. Too, compared to the short feeling of Kong one of these Nintendo attractions seems far longer than Kong due to the dazzling visuals both tangible and not and the many many different scenes. It is actually half+ of Kong time.
Someone on OU corrected me a while ago.

If you weren't looking back through the thread leaving alerts @Brer Oswald I wouldn't have remembered, thanks :)

Brer Oswald

I didn't correct this before but apparently the ride being described here in a Teebin quote from a few pages back is Mario Kart, not Yoshi as I orginally thought.

Someone on OU corrected me a while ago.

If you weren't looking back through the thread leaving alerts @Brer Oswald I wouldn't have remembered, thanks :)
No problem ;), although I'm a bit surprised it's not referring to Yoshi. I don't know if you've played the game or not, but Yoshi's Island has a distinctly colorful art design, as if it came from a coloring book. If Mario Kart is colorful, just imagine how pretty Yoshi will be :inlove:.

Siren

Thank you very much for welcoming me :D! With the theming Universal did for Harry Potter, I'd be shocked if Mario and Zelda didn't get the same treatment, so Peach's Castle would be a must. I too love the character of Rosalina, and with her recent popularity, she will probably have some sort of presence with Mario and company when the Nintendo expansion hits the parks. Fingers crossed that it'll be in a Mario Galaxy ride ;)
Hi @Brer Oswald! You're welcome. You really have a lot of great ideas for Nintendoland!

Mario Galaxy is so vast with so many wonderful levels, it has been a while but I distinctly remember a level with a bedroom full of toys -- it reminds me of Andy's room from Toy Story -- this level could be a great dark ride or coaster. Unfortunately, that level has nothing to do with the galaxy, lol.

We all know that Universal can build a spectacular Bowser's Castle or Boo's Haunted Mansion (the boos are hilarious, lol) -- which is fine, but totally predictable. I really want Universal to capture the true essence of Peach's Castle and Super Mario World, which is pretty and cute with vibrant colors (not garish) everywhere, etc. This is a somewhat of a departure from what we are used to seeing from Universal, so I am very excited.

With that said, I am somewhat concerned about Princess Peach's castle being the entrance. I wanted the castle to be surrounded by a moat.

erlpud.jpg

I like Super Silly Funland, but I want Princess Peach's castle to be on the same scale as Cinderella's castle. I guess it wouldn't make sense since Universal already has Harry Potter's castle. This is why Nintendoland should be a third gate.

imperius

Hi @Brer Oswald! You're welcome. You really have a lot of great ideas for Nintendoland!

Mario Galaxy is so vast with so many wonderful levels, it has been a while but I distinctly remember a level with a bedroom full of toys -- it reminds me of Andy's room from Toy Story -- this level could be a great dark ride or coaster. Unfortunately, that level has nothing to do with the galaxy, lol.

We all know that Universal can build a spectacular Bowser's Castle or Boo's Haunted Mansion (the boos are hilarious, lol) -- which is fine, but totally predictable. I really want Universal to capture the true essence of Peach's Castle and Super Mario World, which is pretty and cute with vibrant colors (not garish) everywhere, etc. This is a somewhat of a departure from what we are used to seeing from Universal, so I am very excited.

With that said, I am somewhat concerned about Princess Peach's castle being the entrance. I wanted the castle to be surrounded by a moat.

erlpud.jpg

I like Super Silly Funland, but I want Princess Peach's castle to be on the same scale as Cinderella's castle. I guess it wouldn't make sense since Universal already has Harry Potter's castle. This is why Nintendoland should be a third gate.
Hogwarts is at IOA and Nintendo is going to USF so that is irrelevant. Peaches castle doesn't need to be the scale of Cinderellas because Cinderallas was built as the focal point of the park where as Peaches will not be that. It will work fine as an entry way and USF needs Nintendo.

Mike S

Hogwarts is at IOA and Nintendo is going to USF so that is irrelevant. Peaches castle doesn't need to be the scale of Cinderellas because Cinderallas was built as the focal point of the park where as Peaches will not be that. It will work fine as an entry way and USF needs Nintendo.
I could see Peach's Castle being on the same scale as Sleeping Beauty's Castle which I would be fine with.

Brer Oswald

erlpud.jpg

I agree, Peach's Castle should be more than just a land entrance, and the Galaxy you're thinking of is Toy Time Galaxy, one of my favourites as well :D. I thought that Peach's castle would work great as the queue for the Mario/Mario Kart ride. Imagine exploring the innards of the castle as you wait in line, taking you through many of the hallways and corridors from the same castle in Super Mario 64. Like Forbidden Journey, you would make your way through the whole castle, but eventually you would make your way into the basement and the underground sewers. At the boarding area, you would board karts and would be able to see Bowser's castle from a distance (this would really just be an extensive decoration on the wall, i.e. Frozen Ever After, Peter Pan's Flight,etc. only difference would be that it looks more ominous and foreboding). Nintendo and Mario fans all want the pleasure of exploring Peach's castle for themselves, and I assume that there are more Mario fans than Harry Potter fans, or at the least just as many.

Siren

Hi @imperius! I guess this makes sense. I don't like it, though. If the castle is the same scale as Sleeping Beauty's that's perfectly fine. I even like the size and presence of the new Kong building, too. Nintendo has so much content and Uni only has so much space, so I totally need to temper my expectations. I will be happy with whatever Uni comes up with -- Nintendo is such a perfect fit for this park.

Siren

I agree, Peach's Castle should be more than just a land entrance, and the Galaxy you're thinking of is Toy Time Galaxy, one of my favourites as well :D. I thought that Peach's castle would work great as the queue for the Mario/Mario Kart ride. Imagine exploring the innards of the castle as you wait in line, taking you through many of the hallways and corridors from the same castle in Super Mario 64. Like Forbidden Journey, you would make your way through the whole castle, but eventually you would make your way into the basement and the underground sewers. At the boarding area, you would board karts and would be able to see Bowser's castle from a distance (this would really just be an extensive decoration on the wall, i.e. Frozen Ever After, Peter Pan's Flight,etc. only difference would be that it looks more ominous and foreboding). Nintendo and Mario fans all want the pleasure of exploring Peach's castle for themselves, and I assume that there are more Mario fans than Harry Potter fans, or at the least just as many.
Hi @Brer Oswald! You totally have the best ideas for Nintendoland. I think it's so brilliant to put the Mario Kart ride inside of Peach's Castle! I'm pretty sure that Nintendo has more fans than Harry Potter, its been around decades, way before HP.

And yes, thank you -- it was Toy Time Galaxy - that was my favorite world to play! LOL. Anyway, I can't wait for more details to come out!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom