Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Mike C

They own a lot more land on I-Drive. It is all being sublet to other business right now (Walgreens, Tourist Traps, and Restaurants). They are going to tear down Wet 'n Wild and was also told that is where the 2 new hotels were going to be placed. As far as I know they have purchased all the land around the parks they possibly could.

Between what they own along I-Drive and a few land purchases that have an air of nominee transactions, it may be more than that.

NMBC1993

Nice work Universal, I'm quite surprised that Nintendo went along with this considering how protective they are of their characters (no Mario in Wreck-It Ralph for example). If I had to guess, Nintendo probably saw the respect Universal paid to J.K. Rowling when creating WWOHP and feels like this is a safe bet.

And to those who are saying "Well yeah, but down the road is anyone going to know who Mario or Zelda are?" Seriously? You should be asking that about something like Avatar (yes I know sequels are coming, but what happens if those films pull a Matrix where everyone loved the first one, then hated the others?). As others have stated, Nintendo practically lives off of rehashing the same games over and over (and people still eat it up) their job is to make sure NO ONE forgets those characters.

Also with the generation who grew up on classic Nintendo reaching adulthood, you can bet those parents are going to teach their kids who Mario and everyone in Nintendo land is. I'd say Nintendo has more lasting power than Frozen does any day. Give it ten years and let's see if Elsa becomes the next Stitch (chili-dog smell and all;)).

NowInc

This is good for uni, but far from potter huge. Theres a strong cult following for the HP series that simply doesn't exist for Nintendo on that scale. Sure, the game company is popular (or at least their IPs are), and it will draw people..but, and I hope I'm wrong, it sounds like this is going to be a re-theming part of a pre-existing area/attraction. The press release mentions characters and the like...but Uni/Nintendo can usually not resist using words like "groundbreaking" if they are planning something more.

NowInc

Nice work Universal, I'm quite surprised that Nintendo went along with this considering how protective they are of their characters (no Mario in Wreck-It Ralph for example). If I had to guess, Nintendo probably saw the respect Universal paid to J.K. Rowling when creating WWOHP and feels like this is a safe bet.

Well that, and Nintendo hasn't been doing that great. They FINALLY have come out in the green fairly recently after losing money for way too long. They have been doing a lot of things to help their profit margin lately, such as allowing mobile game developers use their IPs for games on that medium...a move highly surprising from a game company that usually keeps its IPs very internal.

*EDIT*
And this is to prove that I am not just talking out of my butt about their earnings..

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8564303/nintendo-fy-2014-earnings

seascape

From a business stand point this is great for all their parks. Having the same IP in all their parks saves huge sums of money in development and construction costs. It also saves in advertising costs because they can advertise see xxx at Universal and not have to make separate commercials for attractions that are only at one park.

NMBC1993

Well that, and Nintendo hasn't been doing that great. They FINALLY have come out in the green fairly recently after losing money for way too long. They have been doing a lot of things to help their profit margin lately, such as allowing mobile game developers use their IPs for games on that medium...a move highly surprising from a game company that usually keeps its IPs very internal.

*EDIT*
And this is to prove that I am not just talking out of my butt about their earnings..

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8564303/nintendo-fy-2014-earnings

Well yeah...a ton of cash never hurt either;) Think of the giant retail store they could set up in the park. Nintendo merch for miles.

Plus, they could totally sell exclusive Amiibos at the park.....your welcome Nintendo:p

matt78

So how will this effect Mario in Wreck-it-Ralph 2?

http://screenrant.com/wreck-it-ralph-2-sequel-mario/

If I had to guess it would be not at all. If Disney thinks having Mario in Wreck it Ralph 2 will make them money he will be in it. Mario Kart ride or not. Its not like Universal having the rights to Harry Potter keeps that film series off of ABC Family and also running ads for the Universal Studios parks.

matt78

Well yeah...a ton of cash never hurt either;) Think of the giant retail store they could set up in the park. Nintendo merch for miles.

Plus, they could totally sell exclusive Amiibos at the park.....your welcome Nintendo:p

The 2 things I would feel safe about predicting would be some kind of Mario Kart ride and an Nintendo store themed to a Pokemon Center like they have in Japan.

TheHodge

It's just wild speculation but would be interesting to think that this could replace Marvel at UNI, Hulk -> Mario Kart, X-Men spinner -> Mario Galaxy, Mario Character Meet and Greets,

Atomicmickey

Apparently Iger is not the only wizard of IP--at least when it comes to parks.

My whole family has long discussed the idea of a Mario Kart ride, or a super mario bros. adventure.
Don't forget Pokemon. That franchise has legs, and could be jump started into a fever again at
any time, I think. Donkey Kong? Etc.

I think this is huge.

OK, Disney. Your turn. Studio Ghibli. GO!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom