Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

GymLeaderPhil

Wow.

This is a very big win by Universal. Nintendo's collection of characters are iconic and the amount of protection they have over how they are utilized is to the degree of Harry Potter.

Given the amount of oversight and control J.K. Rolling had, I can only expect the best for whatever Universal comes out with.

Nintendo has always been pressed throughout the years to open a theme park or allow their different properties to be used within existing parks. The company is no stranger to being compared with Disney.

IWant2GoNow

To me personally, this is HUGE! I've been hoping that Disney would pick up Nintendo, but seeing their snail-paced construction and creative-thinking lately, this is for the better. There are so MANY possibilities! Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokémon, MARIO KART!!!, Star Fox, F-ZERO, Kirby, Pikmin... Oh man, I can't WAIT to hear more news about this acquisition!

wdwfan757

this is always been my biggest theme park dream... but as well as they did with HP, I have a terrible feeling Uni is just going to take some of their current rides and retheme them. I.e. Hulk Coaster becomes themed to Link or Luigi.

Nintendo needs an entire park! Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Kongo Jungle, an F-Zero themed speedway. Do they have space at Orlando to do this justice. I'm don't mean to offend the potter fans, but Nintendo is way bigger than Harry Potter when you factor in age and gender demographics.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I wonder how this might fit into the Marvel rumors?

....so you're saying this is replacing Marvel at IoA and Disney will get to build Marvel attractions in their parks now? ;)

hey stranger things have happened lol

RayTheFirefly

Wow. I've never really cared about Universal (mostly because I'm ambivalent about Potter), but this would push me over the edge to visit. How cool would it be to have a ride based off of Super Mario 64, where you jump in and out of paintings and see all kinds of different worlds?

alphac2005

Of all the amazing strides that Universal has made in Orlando, the lack of family dark rides, slower attractions, etc. is still an issue, and the Nintendo characters have the potential to really take care of that issue. It's very exciting! I know my kids are going to go nuts over this one.

Mike C

I wonder how this might fit into the Marvel rumors?

....so you're saying this is replacing Marvel at IoA and Disney will get to build Marvel attractions in their parks now? ;)

hey stranger things have happened lol

Nope, Marvel is staying, this is for replacing Kidzone in the studios (although it may not be the only nintendo spot). Harry Potter in Osaka (And Diagon) pretty much sealed the deal. Expect that level of theme in Japan and Orlando.

Matt_Black

Although we should give credit where credit it due, I never really thought of Iger being a "wizard of IPs" mostly because overall, what work did he really have to do given the fact that Disney's newest franchises were already wildly successful before being purchased by the company?

Pixar - Well in this case the company was caught in a contract loophole with no real wiggle room.

Marvel - The studio launched in 2008 and was fast-tracking success by 2011, which is probably why Disney took notice of them.

Lucasfilm - I feel like I don't need to say anything.

Although, yes it did take a lot of work in making a deal, settling on an agreement, etc. but apart from thinking "This company or product is extremely popular and has legs, we should own it" how much did Iger really put forth in finding these IPs? That's just me anyway....

l

Well, to be honest, all the properties had some sort of relationship to Disney before being purchased.

Muppets- Park attractions, films, etc.
Pixar- Duh.
Lucasfilm- Aside from Star Tours, remember, Iger was the ABC exec who green lit the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Marvel- Eisner wanted to buy Marvel in the 90s. Aside from Marvel doing adaptations of several Disney properties, Disney had bought broadcast or home video rights to several of the Marvel animated series before buying them lock stock and barrel, most notably the FOX X-Men series. (Though, regarding the broadcast portion, they also picked up several DC series for a time; Disney XD showed several, including Superman, Batman, and Static Shock.)

IAmFloridaBorn

This is big news. But please all you posters that keep talking about a third park, please stop!!!! Universal has no more land for a third park, you can drive around there property in 8 minutes flat. There parks have expanded to literally within feet of every neighborhood and expressway around them. There new hotel is literally going to be feet from I-4, same goes for the the new water park. They have announced 2 more hotels in there latest quaterly results, and the little bit of land they have near Jurassic Park is going to be for Skull Island. This Nintendo announcement has to be a retheme somewhere in the existing parks. But whatever they do i'm sure it will be good, like other posters said this is multi-generational and it appeals to every gender.
The Third Park BS is annoying I agree.

But as far as in the parks here are two areas to check out.

This is the area behind Simpsons and Kidzone (Including Kidzone). Nice size area.

Nintendo%201_zpspksozq6h.png

This is the Toon Laggon area. Which includes 3 eateries and 2 rides, 4 gift shops and other wasted Space.

Nintendo%202_zpsn4bzz6kx.png

Prince-1

I understand, I wouldn't expect anyone to know anything at this early stage, I was making more of a general plea to Universal if they are listening.

I just got my APs to Uni, don't take out an attraction I'm starting to just NOW grow attachment to...

"Welcome Home, You've Arrived" I don't know what kind of "green planet" E.T. is living on, but it seems like good stuff:p

I think its called Rastafaria.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom