Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

UCF

A parking garage is not very comparable to a themed land. The cost of simultaneously going through all of the phases of design for multiple locations doesn’t make sense.
If the same design is being considered for both park 3 and studios, which there really isn't too much of a reason not to be considering that for all of the rides and whatnot, then the small added cost does make sense. Companies design for multiple sites all the time... and if the Universal execs feel saving Mario for park 3 will make them more money, they'll do that. At this point, the parking garage is in the same situation as SNW at the Universal North Campus... they both had permits issued some time ago and no work started on them. Infact, in Kid Zone, they even took down construction walls and went the wrong way as they know its not happening quite so fast. I'm tempted to believe the TPU article, it would make more financial sense to me.

Mike C

If the same design is being considered for both park 3 and studios, which there really isn't too much of a reason not to be considering that for all of the rides and whatnot, then the small added cost does make sense. Companies design for multiple sites all the time... and if the Universal execs feel saving Mario for park 3 will make them more money, they'll do that. At this point, the parking garage is in the same situation as SNW at the Universal North Campus... they both had permits issued some time ago and no work started on them. Infact, in Kid Zone, they even took down construction walls and went the wrong way as they know its not happening quite so fast. I'm tempted to believe the TPU article, it would make more financial sense to me.

Getting colder on this speculaion

Brad Bishop

It's kinda sad that I'm more excited for Nintendo Land at Universal than for ANYTHING I've heard about coming up at WDW. Didn't used to be that way...

I was kind of keeping quiet about it but:

Universal is bringing us new lands based around:
- characters we know
- music we recognize
- themes/stories we can associate with
- given their past efforts, they'll be done really well. Universal before HP was "meh" to me. All of their improvements since around 2012 have all been "wow".

Disney, and being a long-time Disney fan this sucks to say:
- brought us a $1B+ land with characters we don't know, music we don't recognize, from a movie which had a pretty generic plot (BUT IT WAS 3D!!! ... just like the new land so it has that going for it).
- brought us NFL which, for me, was one of the most disappointing expansions. When they announced this I was in "Holy ****!!!!"-mode. I thought it was going to be awesome. I walked around it as they slowly opened the sections and when I rode TLM I thought, "Ok.. Not their best effort.. The Mine Train, though.. That's going to be awesome!!" When that finally opened and I rode it... Nope. It's "meh"... Probably the neatest experience is the "Tales with Belle" stuff. While not super exciting it is different and them doing something / trying something different. The rest of it: They just phoned it in (because that was the safe bet).
- are bringing us Toy Story Land... It's not even done yet and it looks very limited and off-the-shelf "meh".

I'm still holding out hope for SWL but based on their past efforts... Well, I still have hope.

Disney used to be cutting edge. They used to be technology driven and future focused. Now they are spreadsheet driven and take the safe bets which aren't risky and aren't exciting.

I think a decade or two down the road that Universal has a good chance of lapping them unless the next CEO/management team at Disney wakes it from it's slumber. I hope they do. You can only do "meh" for so long until people realize, "Hey, the business next door is way cooler..."

I was thinking about it when I was riding Skull Island a few weeks back: I better relate to King Kong and the Dinosaurs on Skull Island than I do Avatar.

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

The Lost Continent: This is one of the areas, which I think is on the chopping block, that I wish they'd keep. I'll grant you that Poseidon is a bit dated (I love the washing machine tunnel) and should be replaced but I think that the overall theming in this area is really good compared to, say, the comic book area.

I always thought the comic book area was kind of lame. It makes sense in one regard with comics being 2D but everything just feels like painted plywood on a stick.

ET: I'm not quite sure how much nostalgia-love there is for this ride but, having ridden it, I'd be 100% OK if it were to go and give the Nintendo area more space and another attraction. ET was a good movie and all that but it's a bit like clinging onto a Wizard of Oz ride. It's had its day.

Brad Bishop

Well if the current rumor is true that USF is only getting Pokémon then that is gonna suck. Meaning we are gonna have to wait for Mario, ugh.

I could be OK with that if it meant a larger/more engrossing Nintendo Land at a new park on the new land that they just bought.. I hope that when they build it that they build a grade-separated tram system (like a monorail but I didn't want to say monorail). That would be incredibly convenient to get between the major parks without having to hop on a bus and drive through town.

Brer Oswald

Well if the current rumor is true that USF is only getting Pokémon then that is gonna suck. Meaning we are gonna have to wait for Mario, ugh.
I doubt very much that they’ve even got the “go ahead” from the Pokémon Company, let alone concrete ideas for a potential Pokémon land. At least with Mario, they have solid plans for what they are going to do, and trust me, they are going to want to get Nintendo attractions in the states ASAP to compete with WDW’s 50th.

Mike S

Good, I hate Pokemon. Never understood its appeal. It's basically c0ckfighting/dogfighting. With really annoying characters, especially the human ones.
Pokémon would go to one of the other parks.

I’m also surprised at your reaction to it. Are you one of those crazy irrational members of PETA that spouts this kind of trash for media attention?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom