Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Tom Morrow

I'm having a hard time explaining why I want to step into the real Mushroom Kingdom vs. stepping "into a video game."

It's like... Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, or Splash Mountain - what if they purposely used cheap flat materials and painted on textures to construct the mountains instead of making it realistically realized, because "you're stepping into a cartoon!"

I'm afraid we're going to get another Seuss Landing with a bunch of flat, ugly painted concrete.

Of course it is just concept renderings so I could be pleasantly surprised.

imperius

I'm having a hard time explaining why I want to step into the real Mushroom Kingdom vs. stepping "into a video game."

It's like... Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, or Splash Mountain - what if they purposely used cheap flat materials and painted on textures to construct the mountains instead of making it realistically realized, because "you're stepping into a cartoon!"

I'm afraid we're going to get another Seuss Landing with a bunch of flat, ugly painted concrete.

Yeah it’s not going to be that.

JustInTime

I kinda get what you mean. I just don’t know how they could make mushroom kingdom realistic when there aren’t real world examples. Platforms. Goomas. Question mark blocks. Giant coins. It’s one thing to make a cottage realistic because the exist but it’s another thing entirely to make realistic flying bullets. I do worry the colors will fade and they won’t keep
It up. Like Seuss.

Brer Oswald

Odyssey is still pretty simplistic in its representation of Mario’s home, the Mushroom Kingdom.
Mushroom kingdom in Odyssey looks just like the concept art. It looks like every mushroom kingdom ever. I don’t think I’d want it any other way. They wouldn’t have built the other worlds because those aren’t Mario. I think they made the right decision. Also, the odyssey concept has been around for years. So they knew.
That's why I didn't say Mushroom Kingdom, but regardless, 64, Galaxy, Mario Kart, and the RPGs all have less blocky Mushroom Kingdoms. And in the case with Odyssey, yes they knew about the relative concept for three years, but they didn't know how well it would be received. Why then they went with 3D World's design I don't know, especially since that game is set in the Sprixie Kingdom. Probably because it represented generic Mario the best.

Brer Oswald

I'm not to worried about the Castles or DK Jungle. More concerned about the blocky mountains and literal blocks. But they could still make it look nice.

JustInTime

That's why I didn't say Mushroom Kingdom, but regardless, 64, Galaxy, Mario Kart, and the RPGs all have less blocky Mushroom Kingdoms. And in the case with Odyssey, yes they knew about the relative concept for three years, but they didn't know how well it would be received. Why then they went with 3D World's design I don't know, especially since that game is set in the Sprixie Kingdom. Probably because it represented generic Mario the best.
The art looks just like all the games you’ve mentioned. With 64 being the most blocky. If anything Sunshine is the least blocky? But Mario is known for blocks. Thank god somebody agrees. I think it will be great as long as they can keep the paint fresh.

Brer Oswald

The art looks just like all the games you’ve mentioned. With 64 being the most blocky. If anything Sunshine is the least blocky? But Mario is known for blocks. Thank god somebody agrees. I think it will be great as long as they can keep the paint fresh.
screen%20shot%202017-06-08%20at%2092029%20am.png

I'm primarily referring to the multicolored blocks and the Mountain which Mario is on, which were taken straight out of Super Mario 3D World. The rest I'm fine with, but I feel they should've taken some additional inspiration from the Galaxy games, or Odyssey. That being said, it really doesn't bother me.

lazyboy97o

While Nintendo has continued with an aesthetic rooted in the capabilities of the Super Nintendo, that doesn’t mean the physical manifestation of the land has to be one that looks overly plastic. The simplified graphics of the Super Mario franchise still suggest a lot of materiality.

Mike S

While Nintendo has continued with an aesthetic rooted in the capabilities of the Super Nintendo, that doesn’t mean the physical manifestation of the land has to be one that looks overly plastic. The simplified graphics of the Super Mario franchise still suggest a lot of materiality.
Even in newer games with more advanced graphics the art style has remained pretty simplistic and not overly realistic barring a few areas in Odyssey but even then those areas aren’t the Mushroom Kingdom thus throwing any point out the window.

lazyboy97o

Even in newer games with more advanced graphics the art style has remained pretty simplistic and not overly realistic barring a few areas in Odyssey but even then those areas aren’t the Mushroom Kingdom thus throwing any point out the window.
Simplistic but still showing materiality. There are still bricks, stone, tile , earth, grass, and so on and so forth. The image of simple articulation and tectonics can be achieved without just resorting to a repetitive material palette like painted fiberglass.

Tom Morrow

Simplistic but still showing materiality. There are still bricks, stone, tile , earth, grass, and so on and so forth. The image of simple articulation and tectonics can be achieved without just resorting to a repetitive material palette like painted fiberglass.
Exactly. If those square hills look like painted fiberglass, it's going to look extremely tacky.

Brer Oswald

I know Nintendo is more than capable of making a living, breathing Mario world than this:
Beanpole.jpg

Super_mario_3d_world_screenshot.png

If there was one thing people complained about 3D World, it was that the game looked too plastic. Even the older, simpler Mario games had better World building, with objects and landscapes that weren't just squares.
Look at these:
Super_Mario_Galaxy_gameplay_2.jpg

latest

mariokart801_thumb.jpg

They are all simple, but more enticing versions of the same world.

BigThunder26

I know Nintendo is more than capable of making a living, breathing Mario world than this:
Beanpole.jpg

Super_mario_3d_world_screenshot.png

If there was one thing people complained about 3D World, it was that the game looked too plastic. Even the older, simpler Mario games had better World building, with objects and landscapes that weren't just squares.
Look at these:
Super_Mario_Galaxy_gameplay_2.jpg

latest

mariokart801_thumb.jpg

They are all simple, but more enticing versions of the same world.
Good point. I haven't played that, but I would've thought more people would be upset by how the game constantly reuses bosses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom