Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Brer Oswald

I think asking "how do you do a Mario Kart ride without interactivity and items, and how do you accomplish these things without AR? is the wrong question. You don't question why you don't control your minion in Minion Mayhem, or why we can't shoot at the storm troopers ourselves in RotR, etc. You just accept it. The items could be represented in the game while still having it be a passive experience, and no one would question it.

The right question to ask is, why didn't they choose a concept that meets, or at least attempts to meet, the expectations people will have going in? I thought of a good analogy - what if Smuggler's Run was instead a Buzz Lightyear-esque onmimover where each car is a mini Millennium Falcon cockpit. Sure, you're "piloting the Falcon", but not in any way shape or form that you imagined and hoped for.

(and just for the record, Smuggler's Run is not a great ride, but the lacking aspect is the lackluster mission itself, not the concept and ride system.

Theme park designers need to remember that we go to theme parks to do things we can't do at home. We can play the game at home. We can do VR and AR at home. We can't see those virtual worlds physically realized around us at home.
The items ARE Mario Kart. It’s not a spin-off known for memorable locations or epic stories. It’s a Kart Racer with an item gimmick.

On the contrary, if you were doing a “Super Mario Ride”, you wouldn’t necessarily need power ups as they aren’t in every game.

So my question is, for everyone that is disappointed, what did you want to see? Something original? A best of compilation of different Mario worlds? A kart racing through Mario Kart tracks without an items or story?

Tom Morrow

The items ARE Mario Kart. It’s not a spin-off known for memorable locations or epic stories. It’s a Kart Racer with an item gimmick.

On the contrary, if you were doing a “Super Mario Ride”, you wouldn’t necessarily need power ups as they aren’t in every game.

So my question is, for everyone that is disappointed, what did you want to see? Something original? A best of compilation of different Mario worlds? A kart racing through Mario Kart tracks without an items or story?

I don't agree. Out of control chaos is Mario Kart, in my opinion. That chaos comes from the combination of the speed, crazy track designs, environmental elements and track hazards, and items. This ride does not adequately recreate the feeling of speed. It does not recreate the feeling of being in the tracks seen in the game, rather you are clearly slowing moving through standard dark ride rooms. The environmental elements and track hazards are represented but minimally, mostly by watching Toad get smashed and knocked around. The items are poorly represented - you only have shells.

You already know what we wanted - a ride that adequately captures the essence of the games. Thinking that this was the only way to do it is a very unimaginative and rigid mindset.

Loopsie

Because speed and adrenaline in Mario Kart is just as important as the items. And spamming shells like its TSM is nothing like the game so what was even the point?
I don't agree. Out of control chaos is Mario Kart, in my opinion. That chaos comes from the combination of the speed, crazy track designs, environmental elements and track hazards, and items. This ride does not adequately recreate the feeling of speed. It does not recreate the feeling of being in the tracks seen in the game, rather you are clearly slowing moving through standard dark ride rooms. The environmental elements and track hazards are represented but minimally, mostly by watching Toad get smashed and knocked around. The items are poorly represented - you only have shells.

You already know what we wanted - a ride that adequately captures the essence of the games. Thinking that this was the only way to do it is a very unimaginative and rigid mindset.
100% this all the way.

Brer Oswald

I don’t think this was the only way. In fact, I would’ve done things very differently (although my blue sky ideas probably aren’t that feasible).

What I don’t understand is why so many people believe that a high speed Test Track clone, without the AR, through Mario Kart tracks would’ve been more accurate to the games than a slower ride with AR items. If you take out the items, why even limit yourself to just Mario Kart? Go franchise wide. Incorporate elements from the 2D Games, the 3D Games, the RPGs, etc.

Tom Morrow

I don’t think this was the only way. In fact, I would’ve done things very differently (although my blue sky ideas probably aren’t that feasible).

What I don’t understand is why so many people believe that a high speed Test Track clone, without the AR, through Mario Kart tracks would’ve been more accurate to the games than a slower ride with AR items. If you take out the items, why even limit yourself to just Mario Kart? Go franchise wide. Incorporate elements from the 2D Games, the 3D Games, the RPGs, etc.
You keep circling back to "what about the items?" while ignoring the numerous responses and explanations about how you DON'T NEED gimmicky AR helmets or even any interaction to represent items in the ride.

I would absolutely prefer a higher quality passive experience over spamming the same item throughout the ride.

Loopsie

You keep circling back to "what about the items?" while ignoring the numerous responses and explanations about how you DON'T NEED gimmicky AR helmets or even any interaction to represent items in the ride.

I would absolutely prefer a higher quality passive experience over spamming the same item throughout the ride.
And its funny because the ride itself already does this and from a glimpse, it seems more effective than spamming shells to me. Bowser uses a variety of items to sabotage the racers throughout the ride (though, Team Mario seems to be very passive so we can take out the Koopalings).

The whole land is already a giant video game. Why not let at least one of the rides be a really solid passive experience?

brb1006

Can't be Disney...

1. Iger specifically ruled out using VR

2. COVID

3. Tried and failed...

Six Flags also attempted VR for their rides, such as Drop of Doom at Six Flags Over Georgia

And Superman at Six Flags New England

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

After seeing what a good job universal did at making the actual land itself look real, After Donkey Kong, the next super nintendo world extension should be them building a land based off the 90's movie. Now that is a land I want to see brought to life! who's with me??

1612666436155.png

doctornick

So, just my two cents is... well, big disclaimer first: I'm not a video game person. My only real significant experience with Mario and Nintendo stuff is from way back in the NES days with Super Mario, etc. I'm only played/seen any of the versions of Mario Kart about a handful of times so I have absolutely no attachment to the characters and knowledge of the games. So....

The land itself looks really cool. I actually agree with @CaptainAmerica that a land like this does look very plastic and fake - so that's a negative IMHO in terms of the general ambiance and feel of it being a realized place in terms of theme park immersion. But the kinetics and interaction look so awesome that it doesn't matter. They really seem to have done a great job in making the land into a video game into the real world and that's great.

The Yoshi ride seems simplistic but nice. Someone had said that its exactly the type of ride that Uni needs more of so I'm glad to see it and hope it does come to Florida as expected someday. I love that it is outdoors at times and adds to the kinetics in the land and gives a high in the sky view.

(I'll also take a moment to digress to lecture Disney - see, this is what is missing from Galaxy's Edge. Kinetics and interaction in the land and a smaller high capacity ride to counterbalance the bigger attraction.)

But Mario Kart? Obviously, it would need to be judged by being an rider in it, but.... I don't get it. I actually watched the non-AR version first and thought it looked pretty nice. Decent sets, a variety of stuff to see. Too slow for a "racing" ride, but not overall bad. If it where just that, but a faster moving vehicle or even just more abrupt movements like Mr. Toad's to feel like greater motion I think it would be the start of a pretty cool ride. But the AR to me just looks busy and fake. I guess you count me among those who expected it to be more of a race and less of a shooter game.

I get that the goal of the game is pick up items and use them against the other rides (right?) but I tend to side with others that why couldn't that stuff happen without you controlling it? Just use screens and projections and have your vehicle throwing shells or lightening or whatever. Have your vehicle or other (projected) vehicles hit bananas and spin. It seems like the main purpose of the VR is to have you be able to shoot shells and then have them have an effect on what you shoot at, right? I get that it's a "thing" for the Mario Kart game, but as someone who does not have a connection to it, it just seems boring. And its important to make sure that rides can be enjoyed on a simple level for just general theme park guests, not just those familiar with the source material.

It's the difference between Forbidden Journey and Gringott's. The former has generic enough danger that you don't need to know the source material to enjoy it (e.g. you may not know what a Dementor is, but you get that they are bad and scary) while the latter is all kinds of confusing if you don't get who the characters are and why they are behaving as they are.

Quinnmac000

So, just my two cents is... well, big disclaimer first: I'm not a video game person. My only real significant experience with Mario and Nintendo stuff is from way back in the NES days with Super Mario, etc. I'm only played/seen any of the versions of Mario Kart about a handful of times so I have absolutely no attachment to the characters and knowledge of the games. So....

The land itself looks really cool. I actually agree with @CaptainAmerica that a land like this does look very plastic and fake - so that's a negative IMHO in terms of the general ambiance and feel of it being a realized place in terms of theme park immersion. But the kinetics and interaction look so awesome that it doesn't matter. They really seem to have done a great job in making the land into a video game into the real world and that's great.

The Yoshi ride seems simplistic but nice. Someone had said that its exactly the type of ride that Uni needs more of so I'm glad to see it and hope it does come to Florida as expected someday. I love that it is outdoors at times and adds to the kinetics in the land and gives a high in the sky view.

(I'll also take a moment to digress to lecture Disney - see, this is what is missing from Galaxy's Edge. Kinetics and interaction in the land and a smaller high capacity ride to counterbalance the bigger attraction.)

But Mario Kart? Obviously, it would need to be judged by being an rider in it, but.... I don't get it. I actually watched the non-AR version first and thought it looked pretty nice. Decent sets, a variety of stuff to see. Too slow for a "racing" ride, but not overall bad. If it where just that, but a faster moving vehicle or even just more abrupt movements like Mr. Toad's to feel like greater motion I think it would be the start of a pretty cool ride. But the AR to me just looks busy and fake. I guess you count me among those who expected it to be more of a race and less of a shooter game.

I get that the goal of the game is pick up items and use them against the other rides (right?) but I tend to side with others that why couldn't that stuff happen without you controlling it? Just use screens and projections and have your vehicle throwing shells or lightening or whatever. Have your vehicle or other (projected) vehicles hit bananas and spin. It seems like the main purpose of the VR is to have you be able to shoot shells and then have them have an effect on what you shoot at, right? I get that it's a "thing" for the Mario Kart game, but as someone who does not have a connection to it, it just seems boring. And its important to make sure that rides can be enjoyed on a simple level for just general theme park guests, not just those familiar with the source material.

It's the difference between Forbidden Journey and Gringott's. The former has generic enough danger that you don't need to know the source material to enjoy it (e.g. you may not know what a Dementor is, but you get that they are bad and scary) while the latter is all kinds of confusing if you don't get who the characters are and why they are behaving as they are.

There was another video that got pulled that showed the AR much better than this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom