Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

AEfx

Well, the queue is really, really well done. Why couldn't the Yoshi queue be like that as well? The physical ride show scenes, for what they are, are pretty nice as well. But when I think of Mario Kart, I definitely don't think about racing around tiny rooms, going 5 mph, while the other racers sporadically fade in and out of existence around me. Perhaps its not fair to judge the AR through the videos, but I'm guessing that it looks "okay" at best, but probably leans toward cheesy and janky.

Space the scenes out so that everything is too far apart, and place all the graphics on tiny screens around the ride track, and viola - it's a MotionGate ride

I’m willing to believe the AR works well in person, but completely agreed here on everything. Particularly the “room” thing - only a few Mario Kart levels are indoors. Even accounting for the AR, the glimpses of bright open tracks that are teased in the first moments of the ride never happen.

Like a lot it seems, I was definitely expecting more RSR/Test Track, at least in portions. They captured so much about the atmosphere but missed the free-flying, wide-open feeling that makes Mario Kart, well, Mario Kart.

Overall, though - I’m mostly just stunned that they were planning a pretty much brick for brick replica here. I just don’t see how that land works in a US park. Even pre-covid. It’s just too small, and while the little games are amusing and all, they seem more on the scale of something that would work crowd wise at a local museum exhibit, not a new theme park land.

And don’t get me started on those bracelets needed to even do those things. That worked with wands and Potter because at least, you know, a wand is a wand. Cool on its own, bonus that it does some things in the park. The bracelets on the other hand (anyone know the cost?) - I just don’t see how those fly the same here. They only work in one place (unlike MagicBands) and they are just little branded things. Maybe I’m wrong, I know Nintendo is all about collectibles and such...but unless they are super-cheap, they just seem like too much. (We’ll see, I guess I got myself started on that one LOL.)

Brer Oswald

I’m willing to believe the AR works well in person, but completely agreed here on everything. Particularly the “room” thing - only a few Mario Kart levels are indoors. Even accounting for the AR, the glimpses of bright open tracks that are teased in the first moments of the ride never happen.

Like a lot it seems, I was definitely expecting more RSR/Test Track, at least in portions. They captured so much about the atmosphere but missed the free-flying, wide-open feeling that makes Mario Kart, well, Mario Kart.

Overall, though - I’m mostly just stunned that they were planning a pretty much brick for brick replica here. I just don’t see how that land works in a US park. Even pre-covid. It’s just too small, and while the little games are amusing and all, they seem more on the scale of something that would work crowd wise at a local museum exhibit, not a new theme park land.

And don’t get me started on those bracelets needed to even do those things. That worked with wands and Potter because at least, you know, a wand is a wand. Cool on its own, bonus that it does some things in the park. The bracelets on the other hand (anyone know the cost?) - I just don’t see how those fly the same here. They only work in one place (unlike MagicBands) and they are just little branded things. Maybe I’m wrong, I know Nintendo is all about collectibles and such...but unless they are super-cheap, they just seem like too much. (We’ll see, I guess I got myself started on that one LOL.)
Since they’re Amiibo, I assume MSRP of $15 USD?

Edit: They come to $32 after conversion. That’s a bit much.

lazyboy97o

and while the little games are amusing and all, they seem more on the scale of something that would work crowd wise at a local museum exhibit, not a new theme park land.

The Power Up Bands are not required to do almost all of the interactives. The bands save your progress and eventually unlock the boss battle with Bowser Jr. but aside from that one you can do almost everything else without one.

choco choco

Bit of a misfire here. I appreciate the fidelity of the set designs but I think we all know Universal can bring industry leading production value whenever they want. But it doesn't seem like they ever figured out a core idea for this ride. Is it a racing ride? Is it a competitive game ride? Is it musical ride? Is it a thrill of speed ride? What was the creative spark? What was supposed to be the big wow moment? How did they organize the elements to lead up to this wow?

It seems like they threw up screenshots of the video game, and then just went about re-creating those and simply throwing them together semi-haphazardly (fyi, I also think this is how Disney designed Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride). As added stimulation, they asked Nintendo to lend them some graphics that they could put up in an AR visor, but it doesn't seem like too much thought was put into making it engaging on a per rider level. It's just fast-moving colors.

If I had been critiquing this ride in the blue sky period, I think I would have told them it wasn't ready to come off the drawing board yet.

Brer Oswald

Bit of a misfire here. I appreciate the fidelity of the set designs but I think we all know Universal can bring industry leading production value whenever they want. But it doesn't seem like they ever figured out a core idea for this ride. Is it a racing ride? Is it a competitive game ride? Is it musical ride? Is it a thrill of speed ride? What was the creative spark? What was supposed to be the big wow moment? How did they organize the elements to lead up to this wow?

It seems like they threw up screenshots of the video game, and then just went about re-creating those and simply throwing them together semi-haphazardly (fyi, I also think this is how Disney designed Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride). As added stimulation, they asked Nintendo to lend them some graphics that they could put up in an AR visor, but it doesn't seem like too much thought was put into making it engaging on a per rider level. It's just fast-moving colors.

If I had been critiquing this ride in the blue sky period, I think I would have told them it wasn't ready to come off the drawing board yet.
It’s a Mario Kart ride with elements from the main series.

Giss Neric

Wow that looks terrible! Unrelated (sort of) but it makes me think we dodged a bullet with that proposed Wreck it Ralph attraction for Tomorrowland. Wasn't that going to be a similar tech?

Could this be the Wreck It Ralph attraction replacing Stitch's Great Escape? I mean it's VR so it would fit for Tomorrowland.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Could this be the Wreck It Ralph attraction replacing Stitch's Great Escape? I mean it's VR so it would fit for Tomorrowland.

Can't be Disney...

1. Iger specifically ruled out using VR

2. COVID

3. Tried and failed...

lazyboy97o

It's a VR (virtual reality) rollercoaster so there is no track.
Not necessarily. The term more applies to actual roller coasters where the rider's wear VR headsets.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's a VR (virtual reality) rollercoaster so there is no track.
Previous use of the phrase "VR roller coaster" was in reference to wearing a VR headset while on an actual roller coaster. I'm assuming that's what Attraction Magazine's clickbait tweet was all about. It's been tried. And sometimes failed.

What you're talking about would be called a 'VR coaster simulator.'

SplashJacket

The rumor is one of the planned attractions in the Fantastic Beast land in Epic Universe is VR, but haven't heard of it being a coaster.

Each Orlando potter land has a "coaster" so could be a thing.

Giss Neric

Previous use of the phrase "VR roller coaster" was in reference to wearing a VR headset while on an actual roller coaster. I'm assuming that's what Attraction Magazine's clickbait tweet was all about. It's been tried. And sometimes failed.

What you're talking about would be called a 'VR coaster simulator.'
I was factoring in the small space of Stitch's Great Escape so the only thing they could do this is through a simulator but I guess it's still a rumor.

Tom Morrow

Agreed, it doesn't seem to do any of the things it sets out to do well. Moving slow through tiny rooms does not feel like racing. Shooting endless virtual shells at virtual characters that has no real affect on the outcome of the ride doesn't feel like Mario Kart. I'm under the impression that "An AR ride" and "A Mario Kart Ride" were originally different concepts but at some point got merged into one in a misguided move.

Even though the Spider-Man ride system would be redundant to use again, if they still didn't want to do physical speed, that would have been a much more appropriate choice.

It’s a Mario Kart ride with elements from the main series.
And yet it fails to capture the essence of playing the video games other than the queue and music.

BubbaisSleep

I often say Universal is the best at building lands and Disney is (was?) the best at building attractions.

While true, the main series is no slouch. It’s also hard to tell a story with Mario Kart. You expect chaotic competitive multiplayer, not a hybrid of that and competitively taking down Bowser. Imagine if they had made two main attractions. One where you’re racing others on a Mario Kart track, throwing items. Another where you use power ups to take on bosses as you travel across familiar locales, on your way to save the Princess. The pressure is then taken off of Mario Kart.

The problem with the current offerings is that, while Mario Kart is probably a good experience, it isn’t the best ride ever, and Yoshi isn’t taking any pressure off of it. The Yoshi ride is trying to appeal to a niche (Yoshi’s Island fans) while incorporating unfitting elements from other Mario games, and barely lasts a few minutes. Yoshi is the problem.
Totally agree and I would compare this situation to Diagon Alley, which is why I was praising SNW's land as a whole. I don't consider Gringotts to be the best ride either. But when you pair it with an amazing land like Diagon, a land which has something magical going on around every corner, it's quite impressive. Not everything can be the best ride but I actually still think both Gringotts & Mario Kart are fun, top-tier attractions. I'm personally more on the impressed side with Mario Kart & can't wait to make a clear judgement when I see the AR through my eyes.

Despite ROTR & FOP being some of the best rides I've ever ridden, there's not much to do after. It's almost as though both lands were made just for Instagram, meaning that everything looks gorgeous for a picture but nothing more after your life-changing ride. After my Potter rides, I have alcoholic & non-alcoholic drinking plans, ice-cream plans, window-shopping plans, using my wand plans... Basically plans lol. SNW seems to bring that element out again.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The land overall is fantastic. Home run. They did not make it feel like you stepped into a video game, they made you feel like you actually stepped into the world of Mario. Everything does not look video game like. Looks like a real place with a ton of kinetic energy. A++ on that. However it is too small. Feels like a outdoor mall. Peache's Castle needs to be more spacious and bigger. But the visuals of the land work. The rides however are just epic failures to me. The Yoshi ride makes no sense on multiple levels. Never in the world of Mario did he ever ride in a vehicle shaped like Yoshi. He rode Yoshi. They could have made a ride where you mounted Yoshi. but we got this slooooow people mover type ride with a queue that looks like it belongs in a mall that is super tacky. Mario Kart should have been a slam dunk. The ride creates itself. This should have been Universal's apology for Fast and Furious SuperCharged and their answer to Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers. It needed to be an actual racing ride with AA's. The Mario Kart ride uses screens to create the illusion of fast movement only some of the time. The ride is not only slow but it really does not simulate an actual race. Most of the AR is just crap thrown right in front of you. Its not a linear race where characters change between first and 2nd place and stuff like that. One thing that bothers me is the rest of the land feels like a real place but on the ride the characters look like a video game. they don't look like how they do outside the ride and they are see through!! you can see the background through them. Like a pepper's ghost effect. Its just characters doing stuff in front of you. BUT THERE IS NO ACTUAL RACE. The whole signals for you to turn the car are pointless because the car is going to turn along the track bar no matter what. Mr. Toad is faster than this ride. Some of the sets are kind of cool but the AR crap blocks the majority of it making the set hard to see. And there is hardly any AA's in it. The ride is a major let down and if you think otherwise you are lying to yourself. You know this does not look good or have any thrill factor. " but, but its a kid/family ride" ok...so is sapce mountain and big thunder and kids ride them like crazy. so what? so what? Universal dropped the ball -flat out. HOPEFULLY THE DONKEY KONG COASTER makes up for it. but Mario Kart is just a epic failure. Nintendo did not understand what their fans wanted or expected. Its awful. Oh and you are always team Mario and team Mario always wins. There is no variety. God awful.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Agreed, it doesn't seem to do any of the things it sets out to do well. Moving slow through tiny rooms does not feel like racing. Shooting endless virtual shells at virtual characters that has no real affect on the outcome of the ride doesn't feel like Mario Kart. I'm under the impression that "An AR ride" and "A Mario Kart Ride" were originally different concepts but at some point got merged into one in a misguided move.

Even though the Spider-Man ride system would be redundant to use again, if they still didn't want to do physical speed, that would have been a much more appropriate choice.

And yet it fails to capture the essence of playing the video games other than the queue and music.
In what world would a Mario Kart ride with physical sets work without AR? How else would the items work? Mario Kart’s selling points are the characters and items. Going fast isn’t always the priority.

I do think you have a point about the endless shells. However, I’m not sure how a competitive Mario Kart experience would’ve worked. I think it would’ve been better if Mario Kart was the secondary attraction with another Mario ride as the primary. No idea why they did it this way. I get that Mario Kart is popular with casuals, but it isn’t exactly the easiest vehicle to tell an epic story with iconic scenes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom