Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

JT3000

Looking good, but where will the people go?

5f6zq.gif

I'll withhold judgment until it's finished and I have a better idea of what I'm looking at. Ours may not even be exactly the same.

Tom Morrow

So a lot like the video game it is supposed to be representing?
"We could make it look representative of a modern video game with beautiful visuals or we could save money and make it sort of resemble a retro video game. This gives us a cop-out to anyone who complains that it looks hideous."

Visuals aside, the absolutely claustrophobic layout looks beyond awful.

Mike S

"We could make it look representative of a modern video game with beautiful visuals or we could save money and make it sort of resemble a retro video game. This gives us a cop-out to anyone who complains that it looks hideous."

It does look like a modern Mario game. At least, the most modern one before the land was announced which was 3D World.
hlc0.jpg

super_nintendo_world_usj_e1574679134657.0.jpeg

This is also the familiar style of the 2D games.

Stripes

It does look like a modern Mario game. At least, the most modern one before the land was announced which was 3D World.
hlc0.jpg

super_nintendo_world_usj_e1574679134657.0.jpeg

This is also the familiar style of the 2D games.
When you bring the Mario world into the real world, I think inevitably it's going to have a plasticy look to it. That's just the nature of the property. Disney could've and should've done a much, much better job with TSL but the Toy Story IP is sort of the same way. Some elements of the land look really good, others I'm afraid are looking cheap to my eye.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that USJ won't be the home of the most beautiful new castle of 2020.
EP1T5QtUYAAd3Ql

(Beauty and the Beast Tokyo E-ticket facade. Opening this year.)

My what NFL could've been.

Mike S

When you bring the Mario world into the real world, I think inevitably it's going to have a plasticy look to it. That's just the nature of the property. Disney could've and should've done a much, much better job with TSL but the Toy Story IP is sort of the same way. Some elements of the land look really good, others I'm afraid are looking cheap to my eye.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that USJ won't be the home of the most beautiful new castle of 2020.
EP1T5QtUYAAd3Ql

img_3383.jpg

tenor.gif

OG Runner

EP1T5QtUYAAd3Ql

Apples & Oranges! It doesn't even make sense to make this comparison.

ToTBellHop

Not the Mushroom Kingdom.
Not everywhere they are building is Mushroom Kingdom. It’s a hodgepodge. Any why should they be constrained? Harry Potter isn’t just Hogwarts. But I’ll play.

1580938195627.jpeg

No need for a claustrophobic, boxy migraine. My only hope is the blessing of space in Epic Universe will allow a better product in Florida.

Mike S

Not everywhere they are building is Mushroom Kingdom. It’s a hodgepodge. Any why should they be constrained? Harry Potter isn’t just Hogwarts. But I’ll play.

View attachment 446980
No need for a claustrophobic, boxy migraine. My only hope is the blessing of space in Epic Universe will allow a better product in Florida.
A plain grassy field with one castle. Very interesting area to explore in a theme park.

And the plan hasn’t changed from KidZone which was an exact clone of Japan. We will have the Donkey Kong area open from the start though.
918D27EB-12E2-4212-856E-898995E16821.jpeg

lazyboy97o

Florida is getting a clone of Osaka. What it lacks in horizontal space may be made up in vertical space.

It is kind of lame that Universal has committed to just lifting whole lands and dropping them into different contexts. It does seem odd that Despicable Me will have the most variety in the form of its lands.

Stripes

It is kind of lame that Universal has committed to just lifting whole lands and dropping them into different contexts. It does seem odd that Despicable Me will have the most variety in the form of its lands.
Illumination just won't stop with that franchise. 6 movies? Are you kidding me? The first one was cute, but it's been downhill from there.

Mike S

Florida is getting a clone of Osaka. What it lacks in horizontal space may be made up in vertical space.

Well in Hollywood SNW will consist of only the main Mario Kart ride due to lack of space. The original designs were for both KidZone and Osaka and the change to EU as I understand it happened kind of quickly. I think it was just seen as easier to just drop the same KidZone plan in the new park with leftover space for future expansion which is what they’re doing.

As I pointed out we will have the full land at opening unlike Japan.

lazyboy97o

Well in Hollywood SNW will consist of only the main Mario Kart ride due to lack of space. The original designs were for both KidZone and Osaka and the change to EU as I understand it happened kind of quickly. I think it was just seen as easier to just drop the same KidZone plan in the new park with leftover space for future expansion which is what they’re doing.

As I pointed out we will have the full land at opening unlike Japan.
Osaka’s site constraints are what really shaped the design. KidsZone as Mario didn’t last too long as it was going to be Pokémon.

Dropping a land designed for another park into a new park is supposed to easier but also disappointing. You don’t have the same space constraints when starting fresh so any compromises are being made again for convenience.

Mike S

Osaka’s site constraints are what really shaped the design. KidsZone as Mario didn’t last too long as it was going to be Pokémon.

Dropping a land designed for another park into a new park is supposed to easier but also disappointing. You don’t have the same space constraints when starting fresh so any compromises are being made again for convenience.
Walls went up in KidZone and then right back down for Mario. They were ready to build it and then decided it would be better to use it as an anchor for the new park. Mario + DK were designed to fit both Osaka and perfectly over KidZone. Universal likely didn’t have time to completely redesign the land and hit the opening they wanted for the new park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom