Nineteen Eighty-Four Competition Arena

JokersWild

@Basketbuddy101 - Joker's Putt-Putt Playground
You're a man after my own heart, BasketBuddy. Not only Batman, but ANIMATED Batman. Firstly, I'd like to thank you for being one of the few to focus only on your one hole. While it's great to see more of a mini golf course as a whole, I'm glad that you put all of your focus onto the one hole. And it payed off in spades (GET IT?!? Jokers!? Cards!? Spades!?)

You might have actually explained the character of The Joker in this single mini golf hole, and for that, I applaud you. The only thing you missed was the homicidal tendencies. I love that this entire hole is based around trying to infuriate golfers. It's difficult and unfair, yet still has a great flow to it. The design is delightfully whimsical while still slightly off-putting with the deep purples and greens, which fits right in with the Joker's character.

The only problem I have is with the jack in the box, and the trap door. In terms of the jack in the box, I'm not entirely sure what happens in those other 2/3 of the time. I might have completely skipped over it by mistake, but I was confused by that. In terms of the trap door, bringing a golf ball back to the beginning of the course, while hilarious and perfectly fitting within the Joker's character, I feel could really halt traffic through the course at times, which is certainly not ideal.

All in all, this was a stellar start. Incredibly glad to see you back. You certainly haven't lost it.
Creativity - 9/10: Like I said: you perfectly described the Joker in a single mini golf hole. Congrats.
Detail - 8.5/10: Most was described wonderfully. Your art, as usual, filled most of the gaps.
Realism - 7.5/10: My only concern is the trap door. Everything else is pretty rock solid.
Presentation - 810: Your art is a long-missed sight. Great to see it back.
Total - 33/40

@Flippin'Flounder - Spidey-Golf
This reminds me a lot of a Marvel mini golf course I saw in Niagara Falls, Canada. That's not a bad thing. It just reminded a lot of it. I don't have a ton to say, as, frankly, there isn't a lot here. It sounds interesting. It just needed more. As tiki said, Marvel is a bit obvious. I really think this would have been 10x better had you included more detail.
Creativity - 5/10: Marvel isn't terribly original. Perhaps if you went in a different direction with the Marvel characters.
Detail - 4/10: There's nothing here. It's barebones. I have no real idea of how this plays, other than the two pictures you provided.
Realism - 7/10: Does the Universal deal carry over to mini golf courses? I mean, it's definitely realistic for the most part.
Presentation - 5/10: No problems here. I just needed more detail and perhaps a picture or two more.
Total - 21/40

@Brer Panther - Snoopy's Mini Golf
This is a great idea. A rather obvious one for Knott's but a very charming idea nonetheless. The problem here is that you were only supposed to focus on one hole. While this is a great idea, I don't have a whole lot to say because you only really presented the basic idea for five holes out of an 18 hole mini golf course.
Creativity - 5/10: Snoopy is rather obvious for Knotts, but the idea is absolutely charming.
Detail - 3/10: There's nothing here. I wish you really explained more of this course.
Realism - 7/10: It's definitely realistic. Other than the fact that there are only five holes.
Presentation - 5/10: Pictures are nice. It's easy to follow. Just not enough substance.
Total - 20/40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final batch is on its way.

JokersWild

@IDInstitute - Nature's Spirit
First off, I love that you tackled the transportation issue. As you said, it's stupidly difficult to get to the mini golf courses, and it's great that you at least tried to fix this.

I find it incredibly interesting that of all the holes you chose to talk about, you chose the most pointless one, being the ball return hole. This is absolutely not a bad thing because this hole sounds really cool. Usually ball returns are either the mini game ones where you win a free game if you get a hole in one, or you simply return it with your putter. It's cool that you not only made the ball return fit thematically, but also made it kinetic and interesting to look at.
Creativity - 7.5/10: Basing the holes around the lands of AK probably wasn't the most creative idea, but your hole definitely made up for it.
Detail - 6/10: Could use more. You said that you were on the road. Not much you can do about that.
Realism - 9/10: Pretty realistic. I don't have any problems. Tackling the transportation system really set this over the edge for me.
Presentation - 7/10: It was good. Not much to say. The picture was nice.
Total - 29.5/40

@DisneyManOne - Disney's Art of Animation Golf Course
Basing a golf course off of the Disney animated line up is rather obvious. That's certainly not a huge detractor, but it's not exactly out of the box.

I do very much like the idea of each scene coming to life when you get a hole in one. It definitely give incentive to get a hole in one. Though, I do feel that this system could possibly lead to maintenance neglecting the figures/ effects. In terms of the scenes, I also find it interesting that you decided to base each hole around the iconic scene of iconic Disney movies, but I these scenes don't feel like mini golf holes. Perhaps it's because you didn't go into too much detail, but I'm not sure how Buzz and Woody flying could translate into a mini golf hole.

In terms of your hole, it sounds really nice. It definitely captures the scene it was trying to capture. The only thing that confuses me is how are you going to get the sun to rise during the daytime?
Creativity - 6.5/10: Interesting ideas. Disney films isn't the most creative idea, but your Lion King hole was executed rather well. Your hole-in-one system also gave you a bit of an edge.
Detail - 5/10: I could have used a lot more detail. Some things weren't properly explained, I feel.
Realism - 8/10: This was certainly realistic. The only thing that concerns me is effects falling into disrepair easily.
Presentation - 7/10: Not terrible. I had no problems.
Total - 26.5/40

@GMR710 - Walt Disney's Magic Movie Moments Mini Golf
Very similar to DisneyMan's concept, but still completely different in some respects. I very much enjoy that you went chronologically, and focused morel on the history of Disney animation, including films such as Flowers and Trees. Everything looked great, my only problem is that you didn't really focus on one specific hole. Other than that, it looked really solid.
Creativity - 7/10: Not terribly creative, but the inclusion of shorts like Flowers and Trees was definitely welcome.
Detail - 6/10: Great detail. I would have given you more, had you focused on one hole specifically.
Realism - 8/10: Definitely realistic in theme and execution.
Presentation - 7/10: Didn't really have any problems. There were a few mistakes, as tiki mentioned.
Total - 28/40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there you have it. Everyone did an incredible job all around. Can't wait to see what's in store.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Combined scores from @JokersWild and I..

1. @Basketbuddy101 (67.5/80)
2. @ToInfinityAndBeyond (60.5/80)
3. @IDInstitute (58.5/80)

4. (tie) @gilm0114 (55.5/80)
4. (tie) @GMR710 (55.5/80)

6. (tie) @mickeyfan5534 (50.5/80)
6. (tie) @DisneyManOne (50.5/80)

8. @Brer Panther (44/80)
9. @Flippin'Flounder (35/80)

Did Not Submit:

12. (tie) @\brinneydee (0/80)
12. (tie) @DisneyPrincess1993 (0/80)
12. (tie) @\brb1006 (0/80)

That means @Basketbuddy101 has become our first Head of Household. In order to hold on to the power however, he'll have to keep to the tight schedule of the Nineteen Eighty Four house, which means @Basketbuddy101 must announce his two nominations for eviction on this thread by no later than 9:30 AM Eastern tomorrow morning. If he fails to do so, the power will go to @ToInfinityAndBeyond. @Basketbuddy101 will step down but will still be safe for the week due to winning this challenge.

Once the nominations are announced, I'll pull names for the Veto competition as soon as I possibly can.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
He's totally free to post his thoughts on the projects, but to keep things moving all judges have to stick to a two hour time window once the projects are posted for the most part. So his scores won't have an affect on the outcome.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'm about to jump onto my podcast duties for the night, but if you get the noms posted in the next hour or so I can film the drawing of the veto players and get right into the PoV comp.

Also, don't forget that any strategy conversations should have me in them!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Week One Power of Veto Competition
"Five Minutes of Awesome"

pixar_short_films-wide.jpg

This season, were switching things up for the Power of Veto competition in a way you never could have guessed. Instead of the familiar theme park related projects, all PoV competitions will have players pitching to us various different projects for a variety of movie and television studios. This will be a more specialtity kind of project that will require players to think on their toes as new assignments get thrown their way.

For the first week, players will be tasked with pitching a five minute Pixar short for a future Pixar Animation Studios release. The short can take on any theme you want. You may tie it into an existing Pixar franchise if you wish, but keep in mind we'd prefer to see original characters here. You may use any format to present your pitch, but a mix of text, pictures, and maybe a video would be the best combination for success.

The people playing in the Power of Veto competition are Head of Household @Basketbuddy101

The two nominees: @brinneydee, @brb1006

Three houseguests selected by random draw: @IDInstitute, @gilm0114, @ToInfinityAndBeyond

The rest of the houseguests are sitting this project out.

Good luck everyone. Your final pitches are due on Tuesday, July 28th at 10:00 PM Eastern.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
And just as a refresher for those unable to view the video...the winner of the Power of Veto competition will have the chance to pull one of the two nominations off the block should they choose. If a player gets pulled off the block, @Basketbuddy101 must name a replacement nominee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom