Nikki Bird? Anyones recent opinion?

MaddieMouse

Jumping in late to this discussion, but wanted to add my two cents :p

We stayed at Nikki Bird on our first trip to WDW in July 2003, it looked beautiful on the website and seemed to be a real deal, etc. We got into the room (after driving from Michigan---what a nightmare!) and found the toilet totally backed up. Went to call the front desk. The phone didn't work. It actually took maintenance until the next morning to properly fix the toilet (and I was four and half months pregnant at the time, so it wasn't the greatest to have to keep walking to the lobby----and they said they didn't have any other rooms available). THEN, we went to get into bed, and there were Rice Krispies scattered between the sheets. I am not kidding. Rice Krispies. So obviously they hadn't even changed the sheets from the last visitors. My husband went down to the front desk again to get clean sheets, and I ended up changing the beds myself. And that was the only time the sheets got changed in the 5 days we stayed there. The maid service sucked. Angel's restaurant (the sit-down part) did have really good food---but again, the service left a lot to be desired. The buffet was HORRID. We didn't use the shuttles at all since we drove. I did complain once more at checkout, and they waived the taxes (like twenty bucks or something, but it was better than nothing). My 6 year old son, btw, loved the pools and the game room, and was thrilled at the lizards that we kept seeing outside.

But that experience taught us a huge lesson---never never stay off-site again. And don't trust pictures on a website! Our next trip in July 2005, we stayed at Pop, and that's where we'll be again in July 2007. It doesn't even compare. On-site all the way!

maelstrom

It's amazing that a place like this continues to stay in business.

MaddieMouse - definately don't go away with the idea that staying offsite is a horrible idea. There are some good hotels offsite. I haven't stayed offsite in years and I don't ever plan to again, just because of the superiority of Disney resorts, but if I was given the option of going to Disney World but I had to stay offsite, I'd do it. There are some good offsite hotels out there, I promise.

MaddieMouse

Maybe one day when the kids are grown we'll look into offsite again, but for now with a 9 year old and a 3 year old, I just love giving them the whole Disney immersion experience! Not to mention that I can't seem to find a way to do the Disney Dining Plan if I stay offsite---boy is that a great plan! We tried food we never would have tried if we'd been paying out of pocket, and I didn't freak out if plates weren't clean at the end of the meal, like I would if I look at half a plate of food, then cash in hand on a bill....besides the fact that I knew I didn't have to worry about holding onto extra $$ for meals,that I could buy that Princess hat if I wanted it....

But maybe someday I'll look into offsite. But then again, maybe I'll end up at the Contemporary Resort instead!

slappy magoo

It's amazing that a place like this continues to stay in business.

When you think about how many people book vacations through agents who may or may not know or care about the quality of this resort, it's not so amazing. Location, location, location. If you can't afford to (or for some ungodly reason, don't want to) stay on-site, this is close enough and the price is right (sight unseen, anyway). I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do a lot of repeat business, but in a town where getting a room anywhere can be a luxury at times, even awful resorts can do OK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom