Nightlife Post PI Closing?

wdwfan100

Not sure why everyone is sooooo hyping up Jelly Rolls... There are plenty of similar clubs around here(88's Dueling pianos, Howl at the Moon, etc.). Hardly an original or hard to find concept.

Maybe not original or hard to find, but on property. Tons of fun too

slappy magoo

What I find fascinating is that Disney has taken so much business away from local cab/town car/bus companies due to Magical Express...you'd think they'd develop an on-site cab company to make it easier to get people from resort to resort (especially if they're drinking).

I know, I've seen plenty of cabs at various resorts, sometimes just parked and waiting for someone to need them (sometimes just seeing a cab makes you say "aw, the hell with the bus this time, I'm cabbing it"). But you're still dealing with typical cabs, questionable cleanliness, not knowing if your cab driver is going the most direct way, etc. I'd think it's time for the Transportaiton System to at least experiment with clean, Disney-fied cabs that can give you a more-private and more-direct way to travel while still letting you feel like you're in Disney. Specific uniforms for the drivers, Disney music or park info piped into the radio, hidden Mickeys in the seatbels, etc.

Back on topic somewhat, I wonder/hope if Disney will take this opportunity to perhaps develop some more nightlife options in the resorts. Granted, each resort tends to have at least one lounge, but not all of them have entertainment options, or dancing options, available. I wouldn't be surprised if Boardwalk started seeing more action after P.I. closes, and you have Kimono's within walking distance. It'd be great to see more lounge-style entertainment at the clubs, and maybe even smaller nightclubs centrally- located within clusters of resorts (there's already Atlantic Dance in Boardwalk, maybe another dance spot at the Contemporary - on the monorail line for monorail resort guests, plus boat launches to/from WL & FW). More piano bars like at PO-R, maybe with small, intimate dance floors (not for bump and grind). An improv comedy club at one of the Values. ANYTHING at Saratoga. And were there a Disney cab service to and from resorts, it'd even give Disney guests the opportunity to visit resorts they might otherwise not, influence decisions on where to stay next trip.

A major problem I'd see with this plan would be if locals or non-resort guests start clogging up the parking lots, but honestly, I don't see this happening. We're not talking about clubs with the sort of scope that P.I. originally had. We're talking about minor entertainment venues that give resort guests just enough incentive to not head out to Citywalk or Downtown Orlando - light entertainment and, what's that stuff called again...oh yeah, alcohol. Something to make grownups feel like they're doing something for themselves on a trip otherwise geared towards the family.

MrBug

I'd think it's time for the Transportaiton System to at least experiment with clean, Disney-fied cabs that can give you a more-private and more-direct way to travel while still letting you feel like you're in Disney.
Then next they can start working on that garbage disposal situation in Naples... You're from Jersey, Slappy, got any "connections"? ;)

TrojanUSC

I don't get all these people who are trying to state that Disney doesn't need Pleasure Island because they offer bars at the individual hotels. That is just inane. Disney closes the hotel bars somewhere between 11-1. Most of the time, I'm not even on my way out the door to PI until 11. Hotel bars are nice for a leisurely drink or cocktail before dinner, even a nightcap, perhaps. But seriously, who wants to deal with two different Disney busses, crammed full of sweaty tourists (who are undoubtedly cranky after a day of discovering they can only get one Fastpass at a time), to get to a lounge at another hotel?

The bottom line is that Disney is eliminating an entire set of offerings, which will in turn drive the same clientele over to CityWalk, Church Street Station or downtown Orlando. There doesn't need to be 9 clubs like PI once had, but it would be nice to have one or two offerings at Downtown Disney that would compete with other Orlando-area nighttime entertainment venues.

slappy magoo

The bottom line is that Disney is eliminating an entire set of offerings, which will in turn drive the same clientele over to CityWalk, Church Street Station or downtown Orlando. There doesn't need to be 9 clubs like PI once had, but it would be nice to have one or two offerings at Downtown Disney that would compete with other Orlando-area nighttime entertainment venues.

That could very well happen - who knows what companies will lease space in Not-Pleasure-Island? It's just that, if there are any dance clubs or night clubs, they won't be run by WDW, just with a strict list of Disney-like regulations that might limit its appeal with...shall we say...carefree grownups.

DTM93

I am surprised a lot of you still have energy to go out after visiting the parks. Usually i am so tired that i have no energy to go out to a club or anything(plus i have the nyc option when i get back home anyway).

Yeah, I agree, I have never been to WDW but I have been to DLRP and even after that I was tired I thought to myself cannot be bothered with Disney Village. :lol:

TrojanUSC

Yeah, I agree, I have never been to WDW but I have been to DLRP and even after that I was tired I thought to myself cannot be bothered with Disney Village. :lol:

Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World is MUCH different from Disney Village at DLRP. It's worth leaving the parks early (though not THAT early) during one day of your stay just to go explore the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom