Nightlife Post PI Closing?

coasterphil

Yes, it is, but you're waaaaaay better off on a bus than behind the wheel of a car if you're planning on imbibing. And if you're just headed to Raglan Road for the music, the bus ride is a direct one from your resort.

Agreed, just saying that Disney transportation to resorts isn't nearly as nice as it was to PI and for those not planning on having more than a drink or two it's definitely an inconvenience.

vickyvale

I agree there are quite a few things to do on property and many of them at the Resorts now so you may not have to worry too much about transportation.

Let's try a list:
- Jelly Rolls
- ESPN at Boardwalk
- Atlantic Dance (hopefully this will get more attention now)
- Kimono's (at the Swan/Dolphin)
- Rix at Coronado (Live music on the weekends)
- The Wave at Contemporary (has a large & beautiful bar)
- Raglan Road (Live band & huge bar)
- House of Blues - usually has live acts on the front and/or back patios

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone that are off the beaten path.

figmentmom

I agree there are quite a few things to do on property and many of them at the Resorts now so you may not have to worry too much about transportation.

Let's try a list:
- Jelly Rolls
- ESPN at Boardwalk

There's weekend entertainment in the lounge at Port Orleans Riverside - great stuff!

wdwfan100

Let's try a list:
- Jelly Rolls
- ESPN at Boardwalk

How late are those open? Does anyone know? I know Jellyrolls and Raglan Road are open till 2:00am. I was at Kimono's one evening, I think they called last call at 12:30am.

sconti

I'm not sure what your pace is, but besides a lot of places already listed, my wife and I love a lot of the hotel bars such as the Territory Lounge at WL, Victoria Falls at AKL, the bar at the California Grill, Crew's Cup Lounge at YC, Mizner's Lounge at GF, Belle Vue Room at Boardwalk and more.

Also, regarding transportation from one resort to other...just take a taxicab. It may cost a few extra bucks, but it saves you plenty of time. If you're dropping a few thousand dollars on a vacations, what's another $10 or 15 bucks each night in cab fare.

The "Pro"

I agree that there are still a number of choices, though maybe not as publicized.

To many issues reported at PI recently, especially with the changes to admission.

MickeyspalJim

I'm not sure what your pace is, but besides a lot of places already listed, my wife and I love a lot of the hotel bars such as the Territory Lounge at WL, Victoria Falls at AKL, the bar at the California Grill, Crew's Cup Lounge at YC, Mizner's Lounge at GF, Belle Vue Room at Boardwalk and more.

Also, regarding transportation from one resort to other...just take a taxicab. It may cost a few extra bucks, but it saves you plenty of time. If you're dropping a few thousand dollars on a vacations, what's another $10 or 15 bucks each night in cab fare.
You make a very good point here, and as far as people having "just" one or two drinks, We all know that most people don't stop there and then drive back to there hotel, so if the buses are not working for You, taking a cab this one or two nights out, may be well worth it. They are always waiting nearby at most resorts or parks. Mears has thousands of them throughout the WORLD. Just try to remember that You are really there for Disney World and can still spend every other weekend of Your lives out in clubs Dancing and Drinking and driving to whatever location makes You happy. If You look hard enough for a fun place to do what You need to do, it's there. Just have fun. ;)

wdwfan100

I Don't want to sound like I am disagreeing with all this. However, as a replacement for PI it is not quite there. My wife and I love the hotel bars a lot also. But they close early. The Tambu lounge closed at 10:30pm one evening. There was only a couple of people there so they closed up. They need to make the closing hours later and make them hard and fast. There have been times when we don't finish dinner until 10pm. Let alone sit down for a drink.

yankspy

My wife and I have enjoyed both of those places, especially Mizner's. They may not be as fast paced as PI but they are nice places to unwind and have a drink or two.

majortom1981

hmm

I am surprised a lot of you still have energy to go out after visiting the parks. Usually i am so tired that i have no energy to go out to a club or anything(plus i have the nyc option when i get back home anyway).

wdwfan100

I am surprised a lot of you still have energy to go out after visiting the parks. Usually i am so tired that i have no energy to go out to a club or anything(plus i have the nyc option when i get back home anyway).

My wife and I travel by ourselves most of the time. Our kids are older and have lives and schedules of their own that thet want to lead. So as a result we have a different kind of vacation. We stay on property and use the ammenities of the resorts a lot more. So we go to the parks, but it is not a marathon. We don't need to wake up at the crack of dawn and get to a character breakfast, and we enjoy being out in the evening. Now we just need a place to go that doesn't close to early.

BUTTERHEAD1

Good Riddance

I for one am happy that Pleasure Island is closing down. I have noticed that over the last few years that the clientele has changed at Pleasure Island. There seems to be alot of younger gang-banger types driving and hanging around the parking lot. I think if Disney re-opens a club or two at certain resorts they will be successful and it should keep the locals away.

zjer

I think the inside bar at Pop Century is closed.

Since when? :shrug:

I was there in April and found myself there most nights. I am going to AS Music in September and I hope that there is a place open at the resort to get a bit 'o buzz before I head to bed.

jt04

I for one am happy that Pleasure Island is closing down. I have noticed that over the last few years that the clientele has changed at Pleasure Island. There seems to be alot of younger gang-banger types driving and hanging around the parking lot. I think if Disney re-opens a club or two at certain resorts they will be successful and it should keep the locals away.

Some of those "hanger arounds" came close to running me over in the parking lot once (not joking). I personally would love to see Disney add validated parking to DTD. That would cure the problem once and for all.

Thiger

Luckily we're going right before they close PI and prolly wont go back until 2009 sept, so hopefully by then they'll have some suitable replacements for PI.

All I'd really like is a place with good music and people having fun that stays open past midnight.

My WDW vaca's are always hardcore, up at 8 and out till 1-2am.

I'm not looking forward to cabbing it to citywalk, not even sure how long that will take...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
There is plenty to do at night without PI, but it isn't the same.

In the category of bars, I think every resort has at least one that is open until midnight or later.

As for club-type things, Atlantic Dance and Jellyrolls and Rix are about it. All-Star Cafe and ESPN Club are the sports bar options.

Other nighttime things that I can think of (because I've done them)

Swimming, with poolside bars, at just about every resort
Mini-golf -- Fantasia and Winter/Summer
EMH of course
Movies at the FW campfire and various outdoor resort arears (AS Movies and Beach Club at least, I believe)
DisneyQuest
Cirque
House of Blues

Cubbieman2

Original Poster

Being that I use to be a local...I take offense to this. we use to go to PI all the time...we were by far the gang banger types. In fact PI use to thrive on the locals...and it was a very safe envirorment. It was when they wanted to cater to the tourists when they lost it. If you are there with your family you are not going to be thinking about partying. Even though I don't live in Orlando anymore...I here the locals are visiting City Walk now. It's depressing. PI threw in the towel to CW.

I want to try Jelly Rolls..but I just fear that I will want to stay till 2:00...and the parks will have closed...with no resort to resort bus it will make it tough to get to our resort.

I'm sure will at least check out Rik's...as we will be staying at coronado Springs on our next trip. For anyone interested apparently they are open till 2:00.

hemloc

Not sure why everyone is sooooo hyping up Jelly Rolls... There are plenty of similar clubs around here(88's Dueling pianos, Howl at the Moon, etc.). Hardly an original or hard to find concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom