NFL 2020-21 Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
One would hope

On a related note? Maybe related? How's the corona going to affect Pro salaries moving forward? Maybe that is a question better suited for pm.....
Next year teams will have to get creative. I just saw a tweet earlier today about the top 10 teams who are estimated to be over the salary cap in 2021.

1. Saints: $82.8M
2. Eagles: $72.6M
3. Falcons: $37.5M
4. Steelers: $28.3M
5. Rams: $23.9M
6. Chiefs: $22.1M
7. Texans: $14.6M
8. Vikings: $14.1M
9. Raiders: $13.3M
10. Bears: $7.7M

I don't even know how you free up that space if you're the Saints or Eagles.

When the Packers resigned Kenny Clark, they made his cap hit next year low at around $7M, but then it increase in the following years. And his deal actually freed up more space on the cap this year, and I know teams can carry a certain percentage of unused cap over to the following year's cap. Teams might try to restructure deals to use cap this year if they have some available, otherwise they will likely have to push it into the future to cut players to make next year work. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Dad 2 M & M

Next year teams will have to get creative. I just saw a tweet earlier today about the top 10 teams who are estimated to be over the salary cap in 2021.

1. Saints: $82.8M
2. Eagles: $72.6M
3. Falcons: $37.5M
4. Steelers: $28.3M
5. Rams: $23.9M
6. Chiefs: $22.1M
7. Texans: $14.6M
8. Vikings: $14.1M
9. Raiders: $13.3M
10. Bears: $7.7M

I don't even know how you free up that space if you're the Saints or Eagles.

When the Packers resigned Kenny Clark, they made his cap hit next year low at around $7M, but then it increase in the following years. And his deal actually freed up more space on the cap this year, and I know teams can carry a certain percentage of unused cap over to the following year's cap. Teams might try to restructure deals to use cap this year if they have some available, otherwise they will likely have to push it into the future to cut players to make next year work. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
I know Julio, Matt, Alex Mack, Dante Fowler, Jake Matthews, Grady Jarrett, and Deion Jones contracts don't begin to expire until 2023. Couldn't tell you the cap hits (if waived) for any of those, but I'm sure it would be brutal....

And, how close are the estimates? Based on the Cap dropping?

And, the Saints are REALLY in trouble as that great rookie class a few back that is about to get paid (by the saints or someone else)

PUSH

Original Poster
I know Julio, Matt, Alex Mack, Dante Fowler, Jake Matthews, Grady Jarrett, and Deion Jones contracts don't begin to expire until 2023. Couldn't tell you the cap hits (if waived) for any of those, but I'm sure it would be brutal....

And, how close are the estimates? Based on the Cap dropping?

And, the Saints are REALLY in trouble as that great rookie class a few back that is about to get paid (by the saints or someone else)
I'm not sure what the estimates are based on. The info comes from a writer at Over the Cap.

The Saints have been kicking money down the road for years until Brees retires. But at some point that has to catch up with them. This very well could be their last ride if next year does drop drastically, as many expect it to.

These teams have the most estimated cap space (per the same writer):

1. Jaguars: $76.8M
2. Colts: $66.5M
3. Patriots: $64M
4. Jets: $60.5M
5. Football Team: $50.6M
6. Ravens: $44.7M
7. Broncos: $29.5M
8. Dolphins: $27.7M
9. Bengals: $26.9M
10. Browns: $24.7M

Dad 2 M & M

I'm not sure what the estimates are based on. The info comes from a writer at Over the Cap.

The Saints have been kicking money down the road for years until Brees retires. But at some point that has to catch up with them. This very well could be their last ride if next year does drop drastically, as many expect it to.

These teams have the most estimated cap space (per the same writer):

1. Jaguars: $76.8M
2. Colts: $66.5M
3. Patriots: $64M
4. Jets: $60.5M
5. Football Team: $50.6M
6. Ravens: $44.7M
7. Broncos: $29.5M
8. Dolphins: $27.7M
9. Bengals: $26.9M
10. Browns: $24.7

Would have never guessed the Patriots, Ravens and Browns would be in that good of shape...........

PUSH

Original Poster
Would have never guessed the Patriots, Ravens and Browns would be in that good of shape...........
They are all helped by having QBs for dirt cheap. Jackson and Mayfield are still on rookie deals. And Newton is pretty much on a rookie deal. The Colts are the only team there with an expensive QB. If you give Mayfield a non-rookie deal, the Browns are likely in the red.

Dad 2 M & M

They are all helped by having QBs for dirt cheap. Jackson and Mayfield are still on rookie deals. And Newton is pretty much on a rookie deal. The Colts are the only team there with an expensive QB. If you give Mayfield a non-rookie deal, the Browns are likely in the red.
The Jags REALLY lucked out with Minshew as the fans love him and he comes cheap....all while helping them have a shot at Trevor....

PUSH

Original Poster
The Jets have released RB Le'Veon Bell.

He was never someone I would have signed in the first place. A year off for anyone is a long time, especially a RB. And he has a lot of mileage on him in Pittsburgh and was surrounded by some of the best players in the game with Roethlisberger and Brown. Nothing added up to him replicating that success in New York, especially when he would be the only "star" player on offense.

Also, you typically don't see tons of teams having great success with RBs on second deals. The backs themselves may have some success, but the teams typically don't. The NFL is littered with examples of RBs who flame out early into their second deals: Gurley, Freeman, Bell. It's just not a position that offers a lot of longevity, and they hit a wall a lot more suddenly than other positions.

Dad 2 M & M

Interesting read, with #3 on the link pertaining to the Falcons.

While I understand the complexity with trading or waiving, I hope we move on from Matt Ryan. He is a very good, and maybe close to great, but he can't carry a team one his shoulders, and his salary is such he'd have to.

The article linked does irritate me a bit, as it implies/blames Dimitroff for the huge contracts, and the irritation is with blaming him for the Julio Jones and Grady Jarrett contact(s). During the negotiations, Arthur Blank publicly stated, "Julio will be a Falcon for life", thus forcing Dimitroff's hand. Blank made similar comments during Grady's negotiations. He overpaid badly for Grady and Deion Jones, as both are above average, but not elite. Grady especially, is too small to play DT without someone a size beside him. Our DL has suffered from no beef for a while now, with Vic Beasley/Tak McKinley having little to no help inside......neither of those 3 could thrive without more beef inside....

Do need to point out I love Julio, like Matt Ryan, but can't stand Dimitroff and the so many draft busts he made.

Last point is really to Atlanta Sports in general. This city tends to fall in love with players and thus not be willing to move on. I'm curious to see what happens with Wentz in Philly as he would be a Falcon for life if he wore our uniform.....

Club Cooloholic

Not sure if it could be done with the salary cap, but Cowboys should try to get Matt Stafford. Send them a 1st and a 3rd...whatever...he would be a perfect fit and get that offense right on track. Dalton. Is a stealing money.

PUSH

Original Poster
Not sure if it could be done with the salary cap, but Cowboys should try to get Matt Stafford. Send them a 1st and a 3rd...whatever...he would be a perfect fit and get that offense right on track. Dalton. Is a stealing money.
The Lions would have to agree to that, though, and I don't think they're giving up a QB like Stafford.

Dad 2 M & M

48 yard extra point attempt.....to keep the falcons in the Trevor hunt...Falcons lose!!

Even if Falcons lose out, AND the Jets win a game, I see no way our SoS is weaker than the Giants.....

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
The 2020 Cowboys summed up: DC Mike Nolan had to leave his media session because he had Tabasco sauce on his finger and rubbed his eye with it.

mf1972

B8308F80-0F3F-456F-BFA4-E4F33F2F5204.jpeg

here’s brees & brady congratulating each other after the game last night

mf1972

as a saints fan, i was completely surprised by that game last night. heading into it, i was sure it was a game the saints would lose. i’m extremely happy to admit i was wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom