NextGen/RFID news, info and experiences

tecowdw

Using the RFID card tied in to a normal credit card for purchases though... HUGE problems. Which reminds me, I need to send WDW a good-and-bad email. Bad about the whole situation, which left us dead in the water in Epcot and good for the CMs that helped out to get us limping again until resolved back at the resort. BOO!
They shouldn't release this crap until it WORKS. Customers are not your beta testers!

I had these issues back in March. It was annoying. I would estimate that the RFID room charge only worked about 50% of the time. And by the time the CM tries 2 or 3 times after I've tried 2 or 3 times - it just took too much time & effort. I'm thinking it's alot quicker to hand your key to the CM & they swipe it on the register than me touch it to the RFID, wait for the "enter PIN" prompt and then enter the PIN. I suppose having the self-pay devices is partially so people can use a PIN debit card now but to me it just slows things down with PIN's. I wish the would have kept with their original intent of no PIN for the RFID KTTW cards unless over $50.

I will say that the RFID for the room entry was sweet! I bet using it at the turnstiles will be too.

luv

At this point in time if you switch tot he RFID pass you can still utilize the legacy Fastpass system, correct?
Absolutely. :)

They don't even have whatever this new thing will be rolled out yet, so everyone uses it, regardless of ticket type.

The new RFID cards work in both types of entrances, too - older turnstiles and new circle thingies.

WTH am I supposed to be calling these new circle thingies at the entrances? Help!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Absolutely. :)

They don't even have whatever this new thing will be rolled out yet, so everyone uses it, regardless of ticket type.

The new RFID cards work in both types of entrances, too - older turnstiles and new circle thingies.

WTH am I supposed to be calling these new circle thingies at the entrances? Help!
Ministry of Fastpass

djlaosc

There is no other system. This thread has gotten out of hand and not really working for what it was intended. There is nothing BUT the legacy system, and there won't be anything new till earliest 4th quarter. Even then, there will STILL be a regular fastpass system inside the parks, just not paper-ticketed. They will be done at kiosks and added to your RFID card/wristband.

So are you saying that you will be able to "preorder" 3 Fastpasses in advance, and then when you get in the parks, you can get a Fastpass every 2 hours like you currently can?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
So are you saying that you will be able to "preorder" 3 Fastpasses in advance, and then when you get in the parks, you can get a Fastpass every 2 hours like you currently can?

The mechanics and finer details like this have not been published that I'm aware of. I would guess too that Disney will be tweaking the number of FP+ guests are allowed to use, both in advance an day of use/in-park.

Note: Please try and keep on-topic as it relates to the subject of News and Information relating to the new system(s). Questions like above have been asked and answered and speculated on MANY times in a couple of other threads.

djlaosc

The mechanics and finer details like this have not been published that I'm aware of. I would guess too that Disney will be tweaking the number of FP+ guests are allowed to use, both in advance an day of use/in-park.

Note: Please try and keep on-topic as it relates to the subject of News and Information relating to the new system(s). Questions like above have been asked and answered and speculated on MANY times in a couple of other threads.

I know that the question has been asked before, but it seemed as though RonAnnArbor had inside information, so just wanted to see if he could confirm anything.

tissandtully

I had these issues back in March. It was annoying. I would estimate that the RFID room charge only worked about 50% of the time. And by the time the CM tries 2 or 3 times after I've tried 2 or 3 times - it just took too much time & effort. I'm thinking it's alot quicker to hand your key to the CM & they swipe it on the register than me touch it to the RFID, wait for the "enter PIN" prompt and then enter the PIN. I suppose having the self-pay devices is partially so people can use a PIN debit card now but to me it just slows things down with PIN's. I wish the would have kept with their original intent of no PIN for the RFID KTTW cards unless over $50.

I will say that the RFID for the room entry was sweet! I bet using it at the turnstiles will be too.

So, the one thing I've noticed with the RFID Room charge is that the RFID receivers at the register are always needing to be turned on by the CM. They are never in RFID receive mode by default. This seems to take the most time (5 seconds really).But, I can see it adding up. Not sure why it's like this, but having them on when a transaction starts would be helpful.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
So, the one thing I've noticed with the RFID Room charge is that the RFID receivers at the register are always needing to be turned on by the CM. They are never in RFID receive mode by default. This seems to take the most time (5 seconds really).But, I can see it adding up. Not sure why it's like this, but having them on when a transaction starts would be helpful.

Funny, related story. When we were there last week in the Emporium, an older CM was ringing us up and having a little bit of an issue with the system. Apparently she hadn't "turned it on", as you say, and it wasn't ready for us to swipe/wave our card. My wife mentioned, "It says READY", to which the CM replied, "when it says READY, it means it's not". I asked if she liked the new system, and she replied rather dryly and not very happy, "when it works".

tissandtully

Funny, related story. When we were there last week in the Emporium, an older CM was ringing us up and having a little bit of an issue with the system. Apparently she hadn't "turned it on", as you say, and it wasn't ready for us to swipe/wave our card. My wife mentioned, "It says READY", to which the CM replied, "when it says READY, it means it's not". I asked if she liked the new system, and she replied rather dryly and not very happy, "when it works".

Yes, I believe "Ready" only applies to the card swipe function. When it says "Touch / Swipe... " that's when RFID is active. Another note that's odd about the receivers is that the card swipe is (at least to me) in the opposite direction as you would think, so I'm always putting the swipe the wrong way.

luv

They have done a much better job securing these things. At first, they were bobbing all over the place. It was crazy and nearly impossible to swipe, lol! Now, you can usually swipe fine or with a bit of holding it down, which the staff usually knows it needs and will do for you.

The RFID thing isn't working right all the time, yet. Technology not working! Who'd have thunk it? ;)

And you do have to turn your card around backwards to swipe. I don't know why they didn't make it work the other way or both ways, but you get used to it quickly.

I still like this much better than having the staff always asking me to see my ID. :)

Vernonpush

The new ones are plastic, RFID passes. And they're wonderful! My old paper one stopped working all the time. I don't even know how many times I had to replace it each year. A lot!

I've had the plastic one since...when did they start replacing in Odyssey? March, anyway...and it hasn't stopped working once. Turnstiles, FP machines, whole bit.

Love it!!

(Don't want a band. Thanks, anyway, Disney.)

I got my AP RFID card the first week available, it did not work the first two times at Main Gates. The third time it worked. The fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh times it didn't work. Got a replacement and it's worked fine. I've seen quite a few Guests having to get their RFID cards scanned by a CM using a hand-held device to enter the Parks.

luv

I got my AP RFID card the first week available, it did not work the first two times at Main Gates. The third time it worked. The fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh times it didn't work. Got a replacement and it's worked fine. I've seen quite a few Guests having to get their RFID cards scanned by a CM using a hand-held device to enter the Parks.
That sucks! Bogus for them!

I love mine. :)

Rasvar

I can't say I have had any difficulties with the Nextgen technology, yet. Room card functioned perfectly for charging, after midnight access to comfort stations and the access gates at Ft Wilderness and swapping my Premier Pass has been smooth. I like having access to the shorter lines at the park gates. I still chuckle at people who press down violently on the biometric readers. All you have to do is touch it gently. Now, I will see if the pass still works at DLR later this summer. They warned me to check at the Guest Services window first to make sure it is in the system correctly. End of summer sounds right though for Fastpass +. I think they are still trying to properly scale the system up to handle the load.

COProgressFan

Just back from the world and wanted to add my two cents. Touch to enter in the new turnstyle free lanes really was not any faster than using the old regular ticket media. After tapping the ticket to the Mickey head it can take anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds for it to turn green. (I counted, and it did vary quite a bit each day). Only then can you put your finger on the biometric reader (which was pretty quick, probably a second or two). Entering the park, as a result, seemed to actually take a bit longer.

Also, on several occasions, even my wife commented (who is a Disney fan but knows little about nextgen, rfid, etc.) how we could have walked right in without tapping our tickets, as CMs had been interacting with other guests and really didn't even pay attention to us. I still believe this is going to be a huge problem for them, especially with large groups, international guests, or others not familiar with the system. And that all sounds great to those looking to get away with something, but it certainly won't be pleasant when guests try to use Fastpass, and the system doesn't recognize your 4 year old or Grandma as being in the park since their tickets didn't register properly up front.

Finally, since stayed off property, we couldn't use the touch to pay system, but for most credit card transactions we were asked by CM's to swipe on the new devices. The major problem with these being that you can only swipe one way (mag strip face up), which requires multiple swipes if you aren't familiar with the system, as well as only being able to swipe when the CM "activates" the device. Compare this to shopping at a place like Target or your local grocery store, where you can usually swipe with the mag strip facing any direction, and at any point during the transaction (even while things are still ringing up). And the little readers are kind of small, so in many cases after the CM would say you could swipe, they'd have to reach down and hold them in place so they didn't tip over.

Overall, I wasn't very impressed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom