NextGen/RFID news, info and experiences

tissandtully

Our experience was so-so. Absolutely no problems with the RFID card and new-fangled "turnstiles" at the parks or for resort room access. Worked every single time! Yay!

Using the RFID card tied in to a normal credit card for purchases though... HUGE problems. Which reminds me, I need to send WDW a good-and-bad email. Bad about the whole situation, which left us dead in the water in Epcot and good for the CMs that helped out to get us limping again until resolved back at the resort. BOO!

They shouldn't release this crap until it WORKS. Customers are not your beta testers!
Then who exactly should beta test on this large a scale? This is pretty much SOP for any big project.

I know that this past week there were major issues at the parks. The CM's there were telling guests to return to the front desk as it was an issue with the room key. This was not the case as guests could use the key for dining, room charging and room entry.

As for problems with the room keys and RFID, the biggest issue has been bugs in the system where the reservation was downloaded improperly.This happened BEFORE RFID as well but has been more prevalent since the introduction of needing the PIN. Other than that, on the CM end (specifically mine), there has been little to no issues.

As for putting two rooms onto one room key, if it is a reservation setup that way, I'm sure there is a way to do it. I'm not too positive as my resort uses connecting rooms in the instance given (4 people, 2 rooms) and the connecting doors are usually left open. That being said, if it's two separate reservations trying to access each room, again not sure how it would be done as the program only allows for the room on the current reservation to be active.

WDWDad13

I"m hearing annual passholders will be the first real testers of this before it is fully released to the general public

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I know that this past week there were major issues at the parks. The CM's there were telling guests to return to the front desk as it was an issue with the room key. This was not the case as guests could use the key for dining, room charging and room entry.

So, there was an issue with the park ticket portion that prevented them from getting in the parks? Ouch! As a guest trying to enter the parks, I would be pretty ticked if they told me I had to go back to my resort to get it resolved.

As for problems with the room keys and RFID, the biggest issue has been bugs in the system where the reservation was downloaded improperly.This happened BEFORE RFID as well but has been more prevalent since the introduction of needing the PIN. Other than that, on the CM end (specifically mine), there has been little to no issues.

As for putting two rooms onto one room key, if it is a reservation setup that way, I'm sure there is a way to do it. I'm not too positive as my resort uses connecting rooms in the instance given (4 people, 2 rooms) and the connecting doors are usually left open. That being said, if it's two separate reservations trying to access each room, again not sure how it would be done as the program only allows for the room on the current reservation to be active.

I think one of the CMs who was trying to resolve this issue for us thought the download of the reservation was the issue, because they mentioned that they were having to re-book our package to resolve it. We thought this was very strange at the time, but reading your comments now, it makes sense. However, even after they re-booked it, we still had issues plus they left off some of the things we had booked on our package when they re-booked it. It should be noted though, we booked 4 people in 2 rooms originally as one reservation and had requested they all have access.

lazyboy97o

I"m hearing annual passholders will be the first real testers of this before it is fully released to the general public
Test of what exactly? The RFID tickets with touch-to-pay/enter are already out there for Annual Passholders and Resort guests. FastPass+ has been tested a couple of times and testing will likely continue to focus on Resort guests, as they are already scheduled to be visiting for certain days. MagicBands also seem likely to first test with Resort guests for that same reason and their access to all other known components (Annual Passholders do not yet have access to touch-to-pay).

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Test of what exactly? The RFID tickets with touch-to-pay/enter are already out there for Annual Passholders and Resort guests. FastPass+ has been tested a couple of times and testing will likely continue to focus on Resort guests, as they are already scheduled to be visiting for certain days. MagicBands also seem likely to first test with Resort guests for that same reason and their access to all other known components (Annual Passholders do not yet have access to touch-to-pay).

Probably the testing of the advanced/reservation based FastPass+ as well as the pre-ordering for quick service restaurants using the MyMagic app. These functions, to my knowledge, haven't been fully tested. Also, as shown in mine and other posts, there are the bugs with downloading the reservations info to the hotel/resort systems and creating keys (bands) that can properly access all of the guests purchased options.

lazyboy97o

Probably the testing of the advanced/reservation based FastPass+ as well as the pre-ordering for quick service restaurants using the MyMagic app. These functions, to my knowledge, haven't been fully tested. Also, as shown in mine and other posts, there are the bugs with downloading the reservations info to the hotel/resort systems and creating keys (bands) that can properly access all of the guests purchased options.
The advanced scheduling of FastPass+ has had some testing. I'm not sure why future testing of FastPass+ (for attractions or quick service) would not continue to be with Resort guests. Annual Passholders don't schedule their visits but Resort guests do, so you know who will be present during the desired testing window. Annual Passholders might be good for testing day-of FastPass+ scheduling.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Then who exactly should beta test on this large a scale? This is pretty much SOP for any big project.

Obviously the problem isn't scaling - it's about coverage of the different use cases. That's a lack of planning, vetting, and solid QA.

and no, there is no reason to expose your full customer base to such issues. It's not like Disney is doing this from the outside and has no idea how their properties are used...

luv

plastic? Mine's still a paper ticket lol
The new ones are plastic, RFID passes. And they're wonderful! My old paper one stopped working all the time. I don't even know how many times I had to replace it each year. A lot!

I've had the plastic one since...when did they start replacing in Odyssey? March, anyway...and it hasn't stopped working once. Turnstiles, FP machines, whole bit.

Love it!!

(Don't want a band. Thanks, anyway, Disney.)

tissandtully

The new ones are plastic, RFID passes. And they're wonderful! My old paper one stopped working all the time. I don't even know how many times I had to replace it each year. A lot!

I've had the plastic one since...when did they start replacing in Odyssey? March, anyway...and it hasn't stopped working once. Turnstiles, FP machines, whole bit.

Love it!!

(Don't want a band. Thanks, anyway, Disney.)

Not to mention the new turnstiles aren't as crowded.

fillerup

We swapped out our APs a couple of weeks ago. Is there any reason we should register them on the Disney website? We're locals.

ParentsOf4

We swapped out our APs a couple of weeks ago. Is there any reason we should register them on the Disney website? We're locals.
Right now, there is no need to register.

You will need to register to use the new "My Disney Experience" app but, as an experienced WDW guest, I suspect you already know more than you'll get from the app. It has wait times but folks have reported these to be wildly inaccurate at times. As an experienced WDW guest, you instincts probably are better than what's on the app. (I don't need an app to tell me TSM's wait time is really long.;)) Otherwise, as an experienced WDW guest, I cannot imagine what else you need the new app for right now.

Eventually, you will need to register to use FastPass+.

fillerup

Thanks for the answers on registering the pass. I actually don't foresee doing so at all unless there are going to be enhancements that aren't currently known.

I don't foresee doing FastPass+ given the fact that I don't plan as far ahead as lunch, much less some ride in the future.

Lynn1030

We exchanged our paper annual passes for the new ones last week at Epcot.

http://www.thephotographerswife.com/new-walt-disney-world-rfid-annual-pass-exchange/

Disney-RFID-Pass-2.jpg

The place was empty! We enjoyed using the new entrances at the parks, especially now that we have a stroller and there is also no where near as many people using those entrances as the old ones, so we could fly right by everyone. We also had the new room keys/locks, but did not use them for charging privileges. We never once had a problem trying to get into the room or pool. It was a positive experience for us and we were happy we got to try it out.

RSoxNo1

At this point in time if you switch tot he RFID pass you can still utilize the legacy Fastpass system, correct?

RonAnnArbor

There's also that misnomer above again, you will NOT have to use a wristband if you don't want to - you will always be able to use your plain old plastic RFID KTTK card or RFID annual pass. It'll just mean for AP holders you'll always be carrying around two cards if you stay in a resort.
Arguing about who will get to test things out is worthless at this point -- there are so many bugs in the system that while they test it out it doesn't matter WHO is doing it, just that SOMEONE is doing it.

RonAnnArbor

At this point in time if you switch tot he RFID pass you can still utilize the legacy Fastpass system, correct?

There is no other system. This thread has gotten out of hand and not really working for what it was intended. There is nothing BUT the legacy system, and there won't be anything new till earliest 4th quarter. Even then, there will STILL be a regular fastpass system inside the parks, just not paper-ticketed. They will be done at kiosks and added to your RFID card/wristband.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom