Next Gen Mickey to become permanent

JeffH

Tech

I imagine that the technology comes from Turtle Talk and Monsters Inc and any pauses in speech are just the voice trying to come up with the proper Mickey response.

Disneyfan1981

This is both exciting and creepy. I haven't gotten a chance to experience NextGen Mickey in person but I saw a quick flash on TV of a Mickey who talked and it confused me at first and then made me want to actually go and meet with the character, which if it weren't for my son's first trip last year would be an activity I haven't done for at least 15 years, I can't help admitting that the thought of a mouth moving on Mickey would be a little jarring face to face.

Does it emote? Do the eyebrows or nose move as well or just the mouth?

Should make for some funny stories if it is in a voice modulator if the CM should happen to make a comment that they didn't mean to.

BigThunderMatt

I heard from a source that I trust that it's actually a voice modulator. Everything with a grain of salt, of course.
IF it's not something that'll get me fired, I'll find out when I start the College Program on the 18th and let you know for sure.

The initial tech used way back when Disneyland was first testing it was the two person method (Mickey and then someone else voicing remotely). They then appear to have tried canned responses.

Not sure if they have tried something different since then but considering the mechanics and weight of the current heads, I doubt voice modulation is at such a point yet where they can do that and have it be feasible for the performers.

BigThunderMatt

Depends on the number if rooms at Town Square Theater. Princesses take forever because it is a single line for one character.

Actually, it's for three all in the same room. They take so long because Miss Spoiled Brat Princess has to tell Cinderella how her cat barfed on her hair brush before they left for Florida along with her entire life story, and most of the Princesses don't know how to tell the chatterbox to stuff a sock in it, get her picture and autograph, and move on.

darthspielberg

The Idea of Next Gen Donald is nice in theory, but man, finding someone who can do the voice on cue like that seems like it would be rough.

Cosmic Commando

Actually, it's for three all in the same room. They take so long because Miss Spoiled Brat Princess has to tell Cinderella how her cat barfed on her hair brush before they left for Florida along with her entire life story, and most of the Princesses don't know how to tell the chatterbox to stuff a sock in it, get her picture and autograph, and move on.

So wait, the list of things we're supposed to hate goes like this now?

1. Stitch's Great Escape
2. Dino-Rama
3. Little girls getting more than five seconds each with their favorite characters?

BigThunderMatt

So wait, the list of things we're supposed to hate goes like this now?

1. Stitch's Great Escape
2. Dino-Rama
3. Little girls getting more than five seconds each with their favorite characters?

If they want to start treating character meet & greets like attractions with full blown queues and fastpass and hit a certain number of guests per hour they cannot have the best of both worlds. You either have those personal interactions that slow down the throughput, or you turn it into an assembly line of pictures and autographs.

Unfortunately Disney has not yet mastered the art of this, yet still expects to put through a certain number of guests per hour in Town Square Theater.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
If they want to start treating character meet & greets like attractions with full blown queues and fastpass and hit a certain number of guests per hour they cannot have the best of both worlds. You either have those personal interactions that slow down the throughput, or you turn it into an assembly line of pictures and autographs.

Unfortunately Disney has not yet mastered the art of this, yet still expects to put through a certain number of guests per hour in Town Square Theater.
You'd figure they'd want to get 'em through ASAP. If you're standing in line you're not spending money.

flavious27

Posting the details of this technology would definitely get you fired :brick:

Well posting the specific details of how it works will but I doubt it isn't more than a powerful voice synthesizer. It would be difficult for a program to respond quickly enough to carry on a conversation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom