Next Gen Busses

DDLand

To all those mocking us who dislike the design: no, this isn't really that big of a deal and no one will be cancelling visits over it. It's just the latest in Bob Iger/Chapek's long parade of slapping characters on everything. Failing attraction or show? Add characters. New nighttime show? Use characters. New attractions? Must be character-based! New transportation designs? How about something classy, like the iconic monorails? NO! F-U! Characters!!!

It cannot be stated enough - the success of WDW, the reason it became the number one vacation destination in the world - is that for it's first 35 years the focus was on a unique and high quality, and dare I say classy experiences. The characters have always been there but outside of Fantasyland were always more of a supplement to the main draw. They've always been pushed heavily in marketing and enticed kids and families to visit, and sure, they pacify the young ones, but they are not why the WDW experience resonated so deeply with so many.

I get annoyed when talking with adults who have never visited WDW or only went as small children and don't remember it. They assume WDW is "a tacky tourist trap" where you're relentlessly bombarded with characters and branding at all times, and that it is only a place for parents to take their children. Any lazy parody of WDW will portray it exactly like this, because it's low hanging fruit. This has never been true, but every lazy shoe-horned character branding inches the experience closer to those parodies.
Very well said.

Since Disneyland’s very beginning, Walt Disney Parks have faced vicious criticism belittling them. They were “for kids,” or not “real art.” From the very beginning Disney Parks worked aggressively to showcase what they really were- some of the neatest stories ever told, delivered in exciting ways. I think about Epcot and some of those simply wonderful World Showcase Pavilions that still entertain. They were beautiful (not rendered digitally- New Fantasyland bleh) and just amazingly detailed. New Orleans Square comes to mind. One land through its attractions and environments told the story of a centuries old city. New Orleans Square is the greatest thing Walt Disney ever created* (though it was not completed until after he passed) and epitomized everything a theme park could be.

But in spite of the genius, this negativity persisted. It’s that idiotic criticism that destroyed Disney’s America in the 1990’s (well that and weather). A Mickey Mouse park could never confront “real issues.” Despite being vindicated again and again the criticism continued. Disney’s Animal Kingdom deals with the effects of poaching, colonialism, war, poverty, and habitat destruction without missing a beat. But “real issues” aren’t for Disney Parks.

Somewhere along the way Disney itself started to believe the naysayers. They started to believe that “Disney” meant Dumbo on a wall or a robotic Elsa instead of telling great stories. We can give thanks especially to Bob Iger who has spent billions on “theme parks” without really understanding what they are. Bob Chapek also deserves mention, for the view that they are a way to synergistically leverage the strength of Disney’s strong brand portfolio.

These buses are emblematic of a shift in viewing the resort. Instead of a world class destination with purposeful design, this looks like an intern had fun with some software. As the show increasingly becomes non existent, we might rightly ask ourselves, what are we doing at Walt Disney World paying world class prices for a mediocre experience? The whole point of Walt Disney World is to tell a story and put on a show.

What happens when the show sucks? You might just not watch it anymore...

I am dumbfounded that so many people have chosen to defend, buy, and experience a product that is pathetically bad. The definition of Disney has morphed into a vague holding company. I’m saddened that we will never see anything nondescript again.

Enjoy your crappy character busses!

*I honestly believe that no Imagineering feat has come close to New Orleans Square. If Disneyland was the first modern theme park, New Orleans Square represented the pinnacle of what could be accomplished. It was and is a monument to the genius of those teams. Everything we have now is only an iteration of New Orleans Square. It is the Mona Lisa of theme parks. We owe everything to it!

Baums101

Very well said.

Since Disneyland’s very beginning, Walt Disney Parks have faced vicious criticism belittling them. They were “for kids,” or not “real art.” From the very beginning Disney Parks worked aggressively to showcase what they really were- some of the neatest stories ever told, delivered in exciting ways. I think about Epcot and some of those simply wonderful World Showcase Pavilions that still entertain. They were beautiful (not rendered digitally- New Fantasyland bleh) and just amazingly detailed. New Orleans Square comes to mind. One land through its attractions and environments told the story of a centuries old city. New Orleans Square is the greatest thing Walt Disney ever created* (though it was not completed until after he passed) and epitomized everything a theme park could be.

But in spite of the genius, this negativity persisted. It’s that idiotic criticism that destroyed Disney’s America in the 1990’s (well that and weather). A Mickey Mouse park could never confront “real issues.” Despite being vindicated again and again the criticism continued. Disney’s Animal Kingdom deals with the effects of poaching, colonialism, war, poverty, and habitat destruction without missing a beat. But “real issues” aren’t for Disney Parks.

Somewhere along the way Disney itself started to believe the naysayers. They started to believe that “Disney” meant Dumbo on a wall or a robotic Elsa instead of telling great stories. We can give thanks especially to Bob Iger who has spent billions on “theme parks” without really understanding what they are. Bob Chapek also deserves mention, for the view that they are a way to synergistically leverage the strength of Disney’s strong brand portfolio.

These buses are emblematic of a shift in viewing the resort. Instead of a world class destination with purposeful design, this looks like an intern had fun with some software. As the show increasingly becomes non existent, we might rightly ask ourselves, what are we doing at Walt Disney World paying world class prices for a mediocre experience? The whole point of Walt Disney World is to tell a story and put on a show.

I am dumbfounded that so many people have chosen to defend, buy, and experience a product that is pathetically bad. The definition of Disney has morphed into a vague holding company. I’m saddened that we will never see anything nondescript again.

*I honestly believe that no Imagineering feat has come close to New Orleans Square. If Disneyland was the first modern theme park, New Orleans Square represented the pinnacle of what could be accomplished. It was and is a monument to the genius of those teams. Everything we have now is only an iteration of New Orleans Square. It is the Mona Lisa of theme parks. We owe everything to it!

Not much of a reply on my part but I just wanted to say your post and Tom Morrow's were both well written and a great read!

phillip9698

They did. The Minnie bus looks like the Minnie van (plus a face.)

The buses drive where non-WDW traffic is as well.

Can’t miss those characters on the road. That’s effective branding, IMO.

And it lasts x number of years until the next maintenance or upgrade. Nothing is permanent. Roll with it.

Where are those buses going that isn't within a few miles of a Disney associated property? There is no way someone could be in range of those buses and not be familiar with what's right down the street.

If you can see those buses you are surrounded by purple road signs with all sorts of Disney reminders.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

To all those mocking us who dislike the design: no, this isn't really that big of a deal and no one will be cancelling visits over it. It's just the latest in Bob Iger/Chapek's long parade of slapping characters on everything. Failing attraction or show? Add characters. New nighttime show? Use characters. New attractions? Must be character-based! New transportation designs? How about something classy, like the iconic monorails? NO! F-U! Characters!!!

It cannot be stated enough - the success of WDW, the reason it became the number one vacation destination in the world - is that for it's first 35 years the focus was on a unique and high quality, and dare I say classy experiences. The characters have always been there but outside of Fantasyland were always more of a supplement to the main draw. They've always been pushed heavily in marketing and enticed kids and families to visit, and sure, they pacify the young ones, but they are not why the WDW experience resonated so deeply with so many.

I get annoyed when talking with adults who have never visited WDW or only went as small children and don't remember it. They assume WDW is "a tacky tourist trap" where you're relentlessly bombarded with characters and branding at all times, and that it is only a place for parents to take their children. Any lazy parody of WDW will portray it exactly like this, because it's low hanging fruit. This has never been true, but every lazy shoe-horned character branding inches the experience closer to those parodies.
It is only your opinion that WDW became the Vacation spot because of the manner in which they limited the use of Characters. I think that is your obsession and you are trying to place it on others. If it bothers you when adults say that, educate them otherwise. Your getting annoyed at that will not change their mind with out something to go with it.

To me the existence of the characters is what made a Disney Park special. It's what gave it it's identity and it's ability to entertain. Of course when it first opened all of them were in MK. The real reason was because MK was the only park. In spite of peoples insistence that they never had them in EPCOT, there are folders full of pictures of Mickey and Goofy dressed in futuristic costumes along with others that completely contradict that theory. And yet the company grew. The characters in fact, built the parks, they didn't cause any downward movement. They are what made a Disney Park a Disney Park. The sterile idea that they are out of place is a good way to suck the joy out of a already to expensive experience. The inclusion of the characters is what keeps it from being tacky, but, don't kid yourself, it is now and has always been a tourist trap. It all started with a Mouse!

I cannot speak for you and you really shouldn't be speaking for others and automatically assume that your preference is a universal feeling. We all grew up with Disney and it's characters new and old. I don't stand in line to meet and greet a group of college students wearing foam heads, but, they tell me that I am in a place that has brought me joy and allowed me to be that child again if only for a fleeting moment. You want to make it a stuffy, formal museum. If I want a museum I will visit the Louvre!

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

Very well said.

Ah, so you wish the wraps were themed to New Orleans Square! Gotcha

Tony the Tigger

Where are those buses going that isn't within a few miles of a Disney associated property? There is no way someone could be in range of those buses and not be familiar with what's right down the street.

If you can see those buses you are surrounded by purple road signs with all sorts of Disney reminders.

Where does McDonald’s advertise on TV where people don’t know about McDonald’s?

Alice a

roll your eyes all you want. you got upset at a bus 🤣

Trying not to be rude, but will you please stop replying with the same comment multiple times? I respect your opinion and hate using the 'ignore' function, but I read chunks of threads when I'm home from work, and it's just painful repeatedly having to scroll through the exact same comment from you over and over again - frequently back to back - then go to another thread and there you are, hitting the reply button over and over with the same comment.

I'm reading this on a (not large) phone and your repetition is taking up more than a page, at times. Thank you!

Tom Morrow

Very well said.

*standing ovation*

Amazingly said!

TrainsOfDisney

Everything is “just” something. It’s just a resort mug, who cares if it’s resort themed or generic Mickey Mouse? It’s just a castle, who cares how it’s painted? It’s just the yeti, who cares if it works as it was intended? It’s just a night time show, if your kids like it that’s all that matters.

So yeah it’s just a bus.

Tom Morrow

It is only your opinion that WDW became the Vacation spot because of the manor in which they limited the use of Characters. I think that is your obsession and you are trying to place it on others. If it bothers you when adults say that, educate them otherwise. Your getting annoyed at that will not change their mind with out something to go with it.

To me the existence of the characters is what made a Disney Park special. It's what gave it it's identity and it's ability to entertain. Of course when it first opened all of them were in MK. The real reason was because MK was the only park. In spite of peoples insistence that they never had them in EPCOT, there are folders full of pictures of Mickey and Goofy dressed in futuristic costumes along with others that completely contradict that theory. And yet the company grew. The characters in fact, built the parks, they didn't cause any downward movement. They are what made a Disney Park a Disney Park. The sterile idea that they are out of place is a good way to suck the joy out of a already to expensive experience. The inclusion of the characters is what keeps it from being tacky, but, don't kid yourself, it is now and has always been a tourist trap. It all started with a Mouse!

A "tourist trap" is a place that promises a certain experience but then does not deliver on said experience. Like the real life version of clickbait. A cynical person or someone who only ever went once and had a bad time might call WDW a tourist trap, but I do not believe it is one. I also don't believe WDW is tacky (yet)- I don't know how anyone could look at the beauty found throughout the place and make such a claim.

If it were merely about the characters, and the attempt at perfection, the attention to detail, the placemaking, the stories, the guest service, etc. didn't matter, then Walt could have just built another dirty amusement park and inserted his characters. If characters are your favorite element of the parks then I totally respect that, but I firmly believe they are one of many ingredients of the magic. There needs to be a balance. They had it before.

Smiley/OCD

While I'd agree with you in terms of the TDR buses being more about branding then not, at the very least they incorporated the branding into the design and didn't just cheap out by throwing a branded wrap on an existing, off-the-shelf commercial bus. For that alone, I'd rather have the TDR buses than WDW's version.

More on topic, Big Mickey has trouble finding guests when their phone shuts off, thus leading to unmagical experiences for the guest.

Though it seems like it will be a funny quirk to the past in the near future when everyone's phone lasts for days or weeks at a time, and re-charging can happen through wifi or over the air. Like seeing a CD player in a car. Or a pay per view box in a hotel room.

Side note: how long before guests start complaining that the buses have usb chargers but the skyliner cabs don't?
Hey, I still have a CD AND cassette player in my truck! LOL

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
These wraps are like painting your whole house (brick, trim, siding, shingles etc) bright orange.

Yes, you painted the house. Yes, the paint cost money. True, it doesn't change the function of the house.

That doesn't mean making the whole thing orange was a good idea.
No, they're not. Nobody painted the busses bright orange. They just put a character wrap on them.

While nobody's putting character wraps on their houses (that I know of, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone did), nobody's driving their houses between the hotels and the parks, either.

Goofyernmost

A "tourist trap" is a place that promises a certain experience but then does not deliver on said experience. Like the real life version of clickbait. A cynical person or someone who only ever went once and had a bad time might call WDW a tourist trap, but I do not believe it is one. I also don't believe WDW is tacky (yet)- I don't know how anyone could look at the beauty found throughout the place and make such a claim.

If it were merely about the characters, and the attempt at perfection, the attention to detail, the placemaking, the stories, the guest service, etc. didn't matter, then Walt could have just built another dirty amusement park and inserted his characters. If characters are your favorite element of the parks then I totally respect that, but I firmly believe they are one of many ingredients of the magic. There needs to be a balance. They had it before.
When did I say they are my favorite. What I said was they are an integral part of a Disney Park experience. The entertainment factor doesn't go away because of characters. The cleanliness didn't go away because of the characters. The quality didn't go away because of the inclusion of characters. It enhanced them like mustard on a hot dog. It's still a hot dog, but, a vital ingredient is missing. The parks owe their very existence to the characters.

As for the tourist trap. There is no bigger literal example of it then WDW. Ride the Magical Confinement Bus from the Airport and for all realistic purposes you are in an loose, but, defined trap. One where you pay for tickets, you pay for a room, you pay for your meals, souvenirs, snacks and up-charges all to one place. Why because even though you can leave the hassle factor stops most from doing so. You are trapped actually more securely then any of the venues that you are referring too. The only difference is that it is also a very high quality place.

phillip9698

Where does McDonald’s advertise on TV where people don’t know about McDonald’s?

No, the comparison would be McDonald's spending money to advertise McDonald's INSIDE a McDonald's.

Those are park-resort-Disney Springs buses. Meaning if you can see those buses you are on Disney property. If you are on Disney property you don't need to see a giant Mickey head on a bus to be reminded of Mickey Mouse. If Disney thinks the microscopic gain they would see from putting those gaudy ads on resort buses is worth their primary transportation looking like a MARTA bus in metro Atlanta then what many here have been saying is true, they really are out of touch. There are examples in this very thread of bus overlays that when taken at face value are nothing more than ads for current products Disney wants to sell but were done in a way that A) looks unique to the resort and B) actually increases awareness of something.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
No, the comparison would be McDonald's spending money to advertise McDonald's INSIDE a McDonald's.

Tray liners... McDonald's advertising inside their stores.
Those are park-resort-Disney Springs buses. Meaning if you can see those buses you are on Disney property. If you are on Disney property you don't need to see a giant Mickey head on a bus to be reminded of Mickey Mouse. If Disney thinks the microscopic gain they would see from putting those gaudy ads on resort buses is worth their primary transportation looking like a MARTA bus in metro Atlanta then what many here have been saying is true, they really are out of touch.
So, what you're saying is that putting character wraps on the busses makes as much sense as, say, running a 24/7 TV channel on the resort TVs advertising the parks and activities that are available to the guests...?

There are two sides to that coin... the only place you can see busses with huge character wraps on them is inside the resort complex. One man's garbage and all that. So, the moral of the story is...

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

No, the comparison is what I said it was, because I made the comparison.

@larryz responded brilliantly. I’ll add that I’ve cumulatively spent months in Orlando without going to WDW, and you do share those roads and see purple signs just to get around the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom